Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

It would be difficult to find a school better-located for an academic major in anthropology. The rich Native American history in the area is accessible to the campus for archaeological digs; the area is a virtual laboratory for pursuing linguistics studies and social anthropology research; outside resources such as the Museum of Northern Arizona, the Heard Museum in nearby Phoenix, and the University of Arizona in Tucson augment any anthropological study. Student diversity at NAU provided wonderful cultural growth and the Flagstaff area also offers some of the best hiking - think Grand Canyon - and mountain biking in the country.

There are many aspects I love about my school but mostly I brag about the location- it's peaceful, quiet, in the mountains, covered in a healthy green, and it snows. Also, on one street over there's easy access to everything from the DMV to Walmart and Target to Barnes & Noble and lots of fast food places to choose from. Flagstaff is a college town and biking/walking community. I love it in the sense that it's very different from Los Angeles and the fact that everyone is so nice and each experience new and amazing.

Every time I talk about the Flagstaff campus of NAU, I always mention the Platinum Research and Development Building that is 100% self-sufficient, the easy access shuttle system that reaches the entire town, the nearby shops and food services, the Lowell Observatory nearby, the friendly staff and fellow students, the delicious food in the Union, the wonderful support services the faculty provides for the students and most importantly, the stunning view of the mountains high above the beautiful campus.

When I describe my school to my friends I mention how beautiful the campus is, nestled in the Arizona mountains. The air is so clean walking or biking to class is enjoyable on a sunny day. Although the snowy months are cold, it always looks like a brand new landscape after a fresh snowfall. This also creates the ability to participate in winter sports, like snowboarding, without having to travel far. I probably also brag about the interesting and accepting people I have encountered.

I am always sure to brag about the Honors Program. Although it does have flaws, it is one of the most rigorous programs I have been in. It pushes me to exceed in classes, activities, and even my own expectations. The staff and faculty are always very suportive and there is a great tutoring/writing center available to us. The library treats us as Grad students with a limit of 200 books we can check out at once. We also have our own computer lab available to us in our Halls.

I love the schedule that I have for school. I go to class three nights a week. The classes are long because they are three credits a piece but it's so convenient to have a week's worth of classes done in one night. The nightly schedule also allows for me to work at a daycare center during the day. My instructors are mostly current elementary school teachers who also teach us at night. It's great to hear their stories and draw from their experiences.

That NAU is an open enviroment and is not over crowded by a large city population. NAU is a school that exscapes the big city pollution and has beautiful, clear night skies. Also that the school has multiple oppertunities for undergraduates to interact and help with research, which they can get payed for often times. And one of the best things is that we have an on campus observitory and the students can help run the observitory to educate the public.

The things I brag about with this school are that it is huge. I came from a small college and comparing the two there is a big difference. Another is the program that I am majoring in. My other college did not have my intended major and when I came here they had all sorts of programs to choose from. Last thing is how glorious the surroundings are around this university. A small town but a lot of site scenes and history.

The thing I brag about the most is how beautiful it is. Since NAU is located in Flagstaff the weather is much nicer than Phoenix. Also we have beautiful scenery and big trees all over the place. The climate is perfect, I love waking up to see mountains in the morning. Also all the snow that falls in the winter basically makes it a winter wonderland. It's a small city so it's very home like.

When I talk to my friends about school, i brag about the campus. I tell them about the buildings where my classes are and how wonderful it is walking to every class or riding the bus. Also i talk about the teachers and how they teach diffrentlly than in the high school. I also tell them how easy it is to get distracted, but just have to work hard to stay on track and get all work done.