Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

Despite the pessimism and audbile graons from my peers, I have actually had a great experience at NAU. The one thing that bothers me most about my school my seem like a fairly small thing, but it really bothers me; the vending machines never seem to work. There have been more times than I can possibly remember where I have been banking on being able to buy a coffee in the morning, or a gatorade after a workout and the vending machines do not work. It not only bothers me, but other students as well. They should fix it.

The city and the school are remarkably inaccessible to someone in a wheelchair. I would never recommend for someone disabled to come here either if they have to travel without a car. Walking with a stroller forced me into the road because the sides were rocky and there is no safe place to do it. The sidewalks that are in place are jagged and mishapen so strollers/wheelchairs get stuck and can't run straight. Most places have stairs without elevators and many of the bathrooms are too small for wheelchairs/strollers.

There does seem to be a lack of school spirit. Students are excited to attend sporting events and do participate in a variety of intramurals, clubs, organizations, etc..; however, compared to larger universities, student pride seems to be diminished. It is not uncommon to see students walking on campus with rival university clothing. Although, many activities have started to be implemented to increase student support and exuberance for their school. It may just take time to become more widespread.

I would the the hardest thing about my school is the campus. It is very spread out. There are the beautiful old buildings and the new modern buildings. Its a very small campus compared to alot of colleges but still takes a good chunk out of Flagstaff. I still love the campus either way. Once you learn how to navagate through the campus you will be fine. And alot of kids are more than willing to help out if you are lost or need some direction. But for the most part that is the only flaw I find at NAU.

There are not many disadvanatges at NAU, but there are a few things that I wish NAU did not consist of. The worst thing that I can elaborate on as being bad at NAU would be the altitude. It is real hard to adapt to the higher altitude especially when a person is originally from a valley or desert. Even then, it doesn't take long to adapt to, you just run out of breath a little faster and must make sure to drink lots of water, because if you don't then deyhrdration is most likely to occur.

An aspect at NAU that I would consider the worst thing there would have to be at shuttle system. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE taking the shuttles to classes because most of them are on the northern part while Iive on the southern part of campus. But the shuttles crowd FAST and easily and leave many people out in the cold and when it's snowing that can be annoying as well as sad when a shuttle has no more room and has to pass you once, twice, or even three times before you can get on.

If I had to say what the worst thing about Northern Arizona University is, I would have to say the price of parking passes and how the parking lots are set up. I have not been attending NAU very long but this is something I have noticed during the short time period that I have been here for. You are only allowed access to one parking lot upon purchase even if you may have classes on the opposite end of campus with little time in between to walk, or run, to your class.

The worst thing about Northern Arizona University is that the cafeteria and most food establishments on campus close by 8:00 p.m. It makes it more difficult to get dinner if you have a late class. There are a few places on campus that are open late, but sometimes they are closed due to maintenance. Unless you are able to eat an early dinner or store some food in your dorm, you may have to resort to fast food off campus.

First, I've only been a student at Northern Arizona University for one semester so I still have some aspects of the university to experience. One thing that has stuck out like a sore thumb about the NAU campus is the lack of student activities. I've visited other campuses and am astonished by the amount of activites these campuses provide their students. I haven't seen much activites on campus since i've been a student.

The worst aspect of Northern Arizona University is the food. Dining Services provides a regimented menu every week and it rarely changes. The usual items are prepared daily and only occasionally is an appealing meal prepared. Also, sometimes the food does not seem fresh and it is not always warm. I wish that I could prepare my own meals, especially since what I have to eat is not worth the money paid in advance for it.