Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Northern Arizona University has a wide diversity in its students, but the common stereotype about students attending NAU is that everyone is a stoner. While true to some students who choose to smoke, it isn't the case for all. There is an active Greek life on campus for those who wish to rush, it also forms a semi stereotype for those who join but for the most part it relates only to certain fraternities and sororities. Another minor stereotype for NAU students is that they are hippies or hippy like. This is semi true as students are taught to be more green in their consumption of materials and resources, as well as our Forestry and Environmental Science colleges driving home the point with each class period.

People tend to think of NAU as campus filled with "hippies" and "stoners", but that stereotype is far from correct. It is true that there are people who are very eco-friendly and are who very 'free-spirited", but NAU has a very diverse student body. NAU stresses being eco-friendly and being a "green" campus, which attracts a lot of attention from the type of people stated above, but there are students from all over the country as well as all over the world, and they all cannot be stereotyped based on only a small population of the entire NAU community.

I think at Northern Arizona if anything, there is a stereotype of hippies and stoners. However this is not a negative aspect. There are a majority of people who smoke marijuana, but on a college campus it is something I've grown to expect. There is not a plethora of people using here, just more people seem to notice. Having "hippies" in our town I don't see as a hinderance. Most so called "hippies" are people keeping to themselves just wanting a life with the outdoors. I feel it makes the town more authentic and real.

Here at NAU there are so many different varieties of students and just like high school, we do have our stereotypes. Though there are the typical stereotypes, the student body as a whole isn't as harsh as most schools are. There aren't any real noticeable 'clicks' because everyone here is so friendly and willing to be friends with anyone basically. We do have the jocks, geeks or computer junkies, the girls who dress to impress, the fraternity and sorority students, and every other stereotype you can think of.

I feel like the stereotype of students at NAU is that we are all potheads and hippies, because we honestly do live in a hippie town, with a "green" mentality, lots of trees, and lots of local coffee shops that are vegetarian and eco-friendly. However, I would not say that there is any more drug consumption at NAU than any other college, as there is a select group of students that participate in that, but for the rest, there is plenty to do and plenty of people to hang out with that do not!

Some might say that my school is filled with Hippies. I don't know if that's necessarily true overall. You'll find all different kinds of kids from frat kids to geeks to stoners. I think my school has it all, which isn't something to complain about. Having so many different types of students makes for a really diverse environment and it also makes it easy to find someone you like or a group of people that really enjoy the same interests as yourself.

I feel like a main stereotype at NAU is that there are many hippies. While this seems to be pretty accurate it is also an exaggeration. There are many people who are, but there are also many people who are not. The city in which the school is in is populated with more liberal people and liberals tend to sometimes fall into those categories and that's why I think the school gets that stereotype.

At NAU, a large majority of students are from Southern California. They typically come from the upper-middle class area of San Diego and move to Flagstaff to get away from their family without being too far away from home. Another common stereotype are the "hippies" that are found on campus. Most of them are big into being green and eco friendly, with a large percentage of them being pot smokers.

The biggest stereotype at Northern Arizona University is that all the hippies go there. I would say it is somewhat accurate. Not in the weirdo hippie way, but rather, NAU is located in the beautiful outdoorsy city of Flagstaff, AZ. The number one thing to do outside of school is be outdoors. Whether it is hiking, skiing, boarding, mountain biking....etc. NAU students love to do it.

I feel like the majority of the students that go to NAU are the nicer, more laid back kids that could be friends with a lot of people. When I first went to NAU, I always had people saying hi to me, opening doors, and generally just being nice people so I'd say its a good stereotype.