Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

I am a mother of four and I work fulltime at the local hospital. I am sometimes overwhelmed by all my responsibilities. I have found that if I apply myself, I can accomplish anything! Northern Arizona University feels like a big extended family to me. My classmates and my professors are an incredible resource of support and encouragement! I have learned to appreciate my beautiful surroundings, manage my time, expand my horizons, question my preconceived ideas, believe in myself, and create lasting relationships. Out of all these incredible life experiences, the most important thing that college has instilled in me is a love of learning. The value of these experiences are priceless! I can not begin to fathom how far reaching their effects will be for me. I am more confident in my personal and professional life. My future can be whatever I want it to be! I hope that my desire for constant growth and learning will be infectious to all those around me.

I would say listen to all the adults around you, college is important. Once you get married, have a baby and realize you should have went to college it's going to be a lot harder to get in. Your not going to have the money to pay tuition and its not your mom's or your nana's resposibility to help pay. When you deside to go back to school you are going to have to consider your daughter and your husband's schedule before you can jump right into class. Five years after high school your only regret will be not attending college. So, do your homework, take notes, dont skip class one day you will look back and say "why ?" Life is hard, and the picture you have in your head is no where close to how your life will turn out. You dont have forever to go to school if you choose, you are on borrowed time and in 2009 your life will be torn apart and you will question who you are, who you want to be and what you would do different. Go to college you'll have no regrets.

I have gotten a new sense not only of my own self worth but of the value of and education. As a teenager I spent most of my time worrying about what I was going to do after the school day was over. Now I spend my time worrying about what I am going to do when college is over. I know that although nothing is ever a given, I have a better shot at a good career with a degree under my belt as opposed to walking away right now with only a high school diploma. I have learned to put more value in the effort put on to attempt and less on the number at the top of a paper. I have learned that it takes time and consideration to make a life or career choice. I have been given priceless advice from some excellent professors and the most valuable gift they could have given me is the joy I have gotten from pursuing a degree in Early Childhood Education. Were it not for the time I have spent in so many lecture halls and classrooms, I may never have discovered this joy.

If I could go back to my senoir year I would change a lot of stupid decisions I have made. I have made decisions that I deeply regret. These decisions not only affected me but my family as well. My deepest regret is that my little sister looked up to me and when I slacked off last year she was dissapointed in me and I had to earn her respect back and that was the hardest thing for me. Last year I slept and watched tv instead of going to class and by the time I started going back to class it was too late to bring my grades up. The sad thing is, is that when I went back I loved the classes and the things I was learning. I wished I could go back to that first day I decided to sleep through class and get out of bed and realize that I can sleep in after I retire after a successful career. Fixing grades is hard work but after I did over the summer I promised to never let myself hurt my family or myself again. It took a lot of work but i am finally happy!

The biggest advice that I could give to my high school senior self is: buckle up. I went straight from graduating young to college life at the age of 17. The transition was a huge growing point in my life and I matured more in my first year of college than I had in most of my life. I would also advise myself to keep in contact with as many friends from high-school as I can. This advice would not come from lack of friendships at college, because I have found many, but because nothing is more relaxing after finals week than sitting around with old friends and remembering good times. These friends and family make the college experience not only bearable, but enjoyable. They inspire the confidence necessary to rise to the challenge. Confidence plays a big part of college life, I would tell myself, so always keep your head held up, know that tomorrow will come whether you get an A or a B on the next test, and the snow is always deeper than it seems.

If i could talk to myself as a senior again, I would have loved to me to relax having to go to a community college. I remember my life as a senior student. I was always on edge about wether I should go to ASU or Glendale Community College. Although I knew GCC had all of the qualifications of a real university, I wanted to go to ASU for the prestige. I cared more about my image than my education. I was bent on going to ASU, and ruining my life financialy , because all of my friends were going to ASU. I eventually decided to go to GCC because it was the smartest choice, but I my first semester was emberassing for me. However, now I'm glad I decided to go to GCC instead of a well known university, because I have done all my required pre-requisites with no debt to my name because of the Scholarship that i had recieved from GCC. So i would love to tell my senior me that GCC is great, that it turned out to be better than i had ever imagined it to be.

You may think college is all fun and games but its not only that, it's an experience that a small percentage don't get to experience. Right now, as high school students are getting ready to graduate and head into the world and go to college to prepare for the careers they have chosen, they wonder who they're gonna meet, who they will find from their life in their hometown at the same school as them. The transition is very easy here, everyone helps you from the faculty to the student body. Upperclassmen don't just look at you and laugh, they know that they were once in your shoes and they don't want you to feel like you don't belong. I've grown up here and not only do I see some people from high school, I see a variety of people, they not only share their life story with you but you find yourself sharing yours as well. Here at NAU it's everything you would want in a college. It's a great school and I don't regret coming here to this school.

It may not seem like it now, but your high school years are very important with regards to your happiness the rest of your life. How well you do in high school, as well as what you do in high school, influences the choices you make about college and the choices made for you about college. Getting a college degree opens opportunities to you that you would not have otherwise. Most of these opportunities center around what you will be doing for a living the rest of your life, and how happy you will be doing that. My advice to you is simple while in high school: attend class, do your homework, participate in class discussions, and study for your exams. Get involved in any extracurricular activities and organizations that may interest you, and even one or two that challenge you. Have fun while in high school, savor those years, but at the same time have an understanding of how important those years are to your happiness the rest of your life.

I just recieved my Associates Degree at Richard J. Daley Community College in the city of Chicago. The 2 years I spent there were amazing. I had gotten more out of this particular community college in education then I have in any other educational facility in a long time. The classrooms were fairly diverse in many factors. The teachers were involved positively in the students home life and actually understood all the differnt situations students went through. The teachers at Daley College rooted for you, they were on your side no matter what!! I've learned to be a better student and mother while attending Daley College. I have come to be passionate about school and what i get out of school. I would not be at where I am now if it wasnt for me attending college. I hope to obtain my Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education by transferring to a University. In the end I hope to have a career so I could financially take care of my children.

My decision to attend Northern Arizona University was the most advantageous decision I have made thus far. Living on my own and being solely responsible for myself and my personal actions, such as whether or not to attend class every day, has made me more responsible and accept responsibility for my actions. For instance, on the occasion I do miss a class, due to an illness or because my alarm does not succeed in waking me up on that particular morning, I will go in on my own time to make up what I missed. In addition, I have also learned the importance of managing my time; this is helps me plan when to work on a certain assignment and how long I am able to work on it until I have to move onto the next project. This asset will come in handy in real-world situations when I obtain a job as a Registered Nurse; my ability to manage my time will allow me to equally care for all patients that have been assigned to me and not leave anyone out.