Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

The experience is what makes college, college. I would never give up going to a university no matter the reason. Some people say that the best four years of one's life are high school, but I beg to differ. College gives students the opportunity to explore new things, become independent, learn and grow on their own, all while their parents know that they are still safe on campus. My time has been greatly spent on studies and involvement in my sorority, Pi Beta Phi. I have met lifelong friends, gained connections and earned an eduacation that's worth printing on a diploma. It makes me proud to say that I am a student at Northern Arizona University and that I am a member of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women. Going to Nau has taught me a vaste amount of life skills such as meeting deadlines, study skills, I have even learned to change a tire all by myself.

The advice I would give to future college students is to find a school that works best for all of your needs. Find a school that has the major you want and the financial aid you need to attend the school. Everyone is different in their needs as a student so find the school that can best help you be who you want to be in the future. Choosing the right college is difficult so in order to organize your thoughts, make a checklist of what you think you need from the school or at the school. Then compare the schools you are interested in. Also go and visit the schools, once on campus many people find that they just feel like they belong at that school. To make the most of your college experience, I would advise you to get involved in something that you are passionate about. Also, make friends in college, because those people will be your friends for life.

Knowing about the college life and transitions, I would advise myself to be more involved at school. That I should join more clubs to become a good leader because I am going to be on my own and there will be no one else to help. It would be good help to get to know more people, it would help me get comfortable talking to strangers. Another thing I would advise myself is to learn how to take really good notes for the lecture classes I would be having in college and to write fast and neat so you can understand it when studying for exams. I think that one of the most important things that I can improve is to learn from the mistakes that I made in my early years of high school so that I would be better prepared for college. Achieving greater results in my academic as well as extracurricular endeavors is something that would make me more well-rounded.

Knowing that I could go back in time to give advise to myself as a senior, I would tell myself not to give up. I've considered to drop out of high school numerous times when I was a senior because I was a single teenage mother. It was difficult for me to stay in school. I would tell myself that there's a better life for myself and my daughter when I finish high school and attend college. Dorm life isn't that great in my opinion but there's other options that we can take as a family. In high school I didn't like how teachers and principles told us what to believe. In college you make your own decisions based on your beliefs. College opens a whole new door for you to experience, it's nothing like high school so don't give up and think that high school is the whole world because it's not. This is what I would tell myself if I were to go back in time.

If I was able to tell my high school senior self anything about college, I would say to be patient, and do it right the first time. After high school is over, it is very easy to want to live a life free of school. I would tell myself to wait a few years before starting, that way I can fully appreciate, and focus on my future goals. Starting immediately after high school would not be the best idea for me, because I would not yet be in the mindset I needed to be in to reach my full potential. I would tell myself to really think about who I am, who I want to become, and what I want to accomplish, and do everything in my power to become that person. The reward of staying focused, putting in the time and effort, and being patient is worth more than I could ever imagine. My high school self would be very surprised at how much I have accomplished today.

I have learned more about myself and the person I want to be in my first semester at college than I have in my nineteen years of life. I have seen, heard and even experienced things I had only heard or dreamed about. I learned what it is like to pull an all-nighter, something I hope I never have to repeat. I learned how to deal with people I don't like, even if they are living in the same room as me. I learned how to make healthy choices, avoiding the dreaded freshman fifteen. But, overall I have learned who I am and where I want to be going. For the first time I feel confident about my future, not uncertainty. I take pride in what I do and who I have become. I know that I am going somewhere, and that I am making a difference with my education. I truely cannot wait to continue on my journey of self discovery and pursue never ending dreams.

I would give myself the encouragement that it's not going to be scary like all the high school teachers make it out to be. College teachers are much more relaxed about things and there is little to no "busy work" which means we are constantly learning something and we all genuinely want to be there, making the experience that much better. I would probably tell myself to meet and continuously make plans with new friends and possibly take up a sport. I would advise myself to never take an 8am class, especially one that is 75 minutes long. I would convince myself that I would still be friends with my old friends because real friends keep in touch multiple times throughout the week. It is also a test to see who among my old friends is willing to keep in contact, but to not worry because I only want those friends who care about me anyways. :)

I would tell myself to research exactly what I wanted to do more thoroughly. I am 27 years old and I am graduating this December. Having said that, if I would have known more about what I wanted to do sooner, I would have saved previous time and money. I do not completely regret taking so much time deciding what I wanted to major in, as it allowed me the opportunity to learn and take other classes that I would not have normally taken. I would also tell myself that time flys in college. When I was a senior in high school, I know I was worried about not only paying for school, but also the thought that I have to go through another four years of schooling. But once I was in school, it all goes by so quickly and before you know it, you will be soon graduating. I hope this would help to alleviate concerns my high school self had about college.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would encourage myself to continue to try hard and stay dedicated to getting excellent grades and to try as hard as I could to excel in all my academics. Also, I would make sure that I applied to as many scholarships as I could and to not give up on finding ways to pay for college and stress how vital that would become down the road. I would make sure that I remembered what I wanted to do with my life and stress the importnace of the success of my education to get where I wanted to go. I would remind myself that I've gotten this far and I couldn't give up now; to pick myself up and keep going even when it seemed impossible. I would remind myself that I'm not only doing this for myself, but for all those who have helped me get to where I am and that I can't let myself or them down.

If i were able to go back in time to talk to my self, my first stop would be wall mart to buy a descise. I would not want my self to know that I was myself. I would start off by telling myself that Northern Arizona University is the greatest university and is worth four years of ones life to be blessed with an eduacation. Since I know how much I love hunting and other outdoor adventures, I would bring pictures of all the wild adventures that are available. I would tell myself not to stress about anything just have faith in god and a good work ethic and you will find ways to put yourself through college. While I was in the past I would visit my cousin and very best friend to spend some time with him. I would tell him how much I love him like I never got to do. I would end my visit by telling my self good luck young man.