Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

Don't worry about the school councelor telling you that your family makes too much money to be elligable for financial aid or let the teachers which told you how costly it is to go to college discourage you. You will do it on your own working part time on pay that is under $9 per hour while going to college part time & will be very proud of yourself. Eventually you will qualify on your own for financial aid & will be given a grant that will cover your cost at the community college & books. Don't worry about your average grades in high school that others say will keep you from college because you will graduate with an associate degree with high distinction & belong to Phi Thetta Kappa which will lead to open doors at the universitys. Get involved early on in Uprimise & Fastweb it won't cost you anything & it will help you.

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior all over again I would let myself know that anything is possible as long as you set your mind to it. You just got over one hurdle by graduating and now its on to the next which is college. The advice I would give to myself would be not to stress out over tests or writing english papers back to back because the more stress out you get the more you can not focus. It is better to write down when papers and assignements are due so you won't forget to turn them in becasue your professors will not remind you. College is a time for growth, so regardless of what others may think of you it is your time to accomplish your dreams and accomplish all your goals. It is okay to take breaks and have fun, but just remember what you came to college for which is to get a college degree.

Attending Northern Arizona University is possibly one of the best life choices I have ever made. If I had gone to my hometown college it would have set me right back into high school. And who wants that? I sure didn't and I have noticed that by going to school at NAU I have grown up in a way that would never have been possible if I went to any other school. The atmosphere surrounding NAU is just incredible. The campus is safe, every single person I have met has been friendly to me, Flagstaff community and students alike, and the NAU faculty members are the most well rounded and thoughtful people. NAU and Flagstaff have taught me how to spread my wings and fly, allowing me ample opportunities for employment and student activities. If you are thinking about attending NAU, think no more. Just do it. NAU wants you.

I would first tell the student to visit as many colleges as possible and go to the one that really makes you smile when you get there. Go to a place that you feel most comfortable because you will need to surround yourself in an environment that relaxes you when all the school work feels overwhelming. The perfect college is out there, a place the has both your prosepective major as well as a nice atmosphere. To the parents I would say that while it is definately okay to add in your opinion, let you child make the finally decision and support them. It is your child who will spend the next few years of their life there and they need to be somewhere they appreciate and enjoy. Most of all though, your support in such a big decision will only make them appreciate you more and work harder throughout there college experience.

I think it is imperative and students visit a campus before they decide to attend. They should probably stay overnight as well in order to get more of a feel for the campus community and the students in that community. When picking a college its important to pick one where you feel comfortable in your surroundings, you think you might experience something you never had before, and one in which you will be academically challenged. Making the most of your college experience is simple; go into every class with an open mind, you may learn something or meet someone you never thought you would, and develop good time management, that way you will be able to get your work done in an efficient manner and still have a fun social life. Make sure to take in all your campus has to offer you, it will be the experience of a lifetime.

I would assure myself that going to school with no one I know was a good decision and that it would lead me to metting many great people. I would tell myself to stop hanging out with my boyfriend all the time and get the best grades I could. I would suggest that I visit Flagstaff a few times before moving there! I would tell myself to apply to a lot more colleges than I did. I would advise myself to being more upbeat and excited about transitioning to school. I would tell myself to not have any expectation that college is like high school at all. In additon, I would tell myself that school can be really fun, even though high school was not. I would tell myself to look more at the catalog before selecting my classes, because you can't really choose random classes for an undecided and expect to enjoy my schedule.

If I could go back I would tell myself to stop playing video games and go live life! I had a group of friends through high school and the first few years of college that were major video gamers. So much time was spent staring at a screen and letting life flow by. I am not saying there is anything wrong with video games, but since I have quit playing I have found so many better uses of my time. I now have ample amounts of time to complete homework assignments which gives me time to help friends, family members and my local soup kitchen. It is hard to think about what I could have accomplished if I was not entangled in the world of video games, but I have to put the past behind me and focus on the future! I am now set on living life to the fullest by acquiring healthier habits and heavily concentrating on my studies!

Do your homework! Just because a college is reputable does not mean that it is the best option for a high school graduate. Sometimes schools that aren't as famous as Harvard, for example, are still really good and could have just what your student is looking for in a school. Attending a college is a lot more than just the academics. The social atmosphere is important as well. Make sure that you/your student chooses a school that meets both their academic and social needs. Look at how well a college is able to place graduates in jobs/careers. Also, professors are really important to succeeding in and after college. Check into what type of experience they have in the fields they are teaching in the classroom. It is better to have professors with hands-on experience than ones that have only been in a classroom.

My college experience has been about much more than academics. Although they are important, I have been encouraged to get involved and be an active member of my department and my college community. I have made some of the best friends of my life and had some amazing experiences. My instructors have encouraged me to pursue my dreams and work hard to get there. I have never felt out of place on my campus. I have been challenged both academically and intellectually. I have always been allowed to speak my opinions and be heard, and I have been able to learn from those around me. Honestly I would never want to attend a different college then the one I am at now. I feel at home at NAU and, even though I am busy and stressed sometimes, I feel that this experience has been one of the most rewarding of my life.

College isn't just about fun and games. Ok at times it is. But you have a wonderful chance to advance your knowledge and make more money with a bachelor's, master's or doctorates degree. College offers a lot of oppurtunites that could get you as far as you want to go. You can be college student and still have a social life. It requires more balancing but it is really worth it in the end. You'll find friends that are really awesome and make friendships that last forever. Your first semester will be hard, it is for everyone, I know, it does get easier, it becomes a lot of fun, you push really hard the first few years and then next thing you know it's your senior year. You can relax a little and enjoy your last year in college. There are many programs that you can join as well that are fun and engaging.