Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

I've actually thought about this numerous times ever since I moved into college and I realized how expensive everything is. If I could go back to my senior year I would defintely tell myself to start applying for scholarships way sooner. Also I would tell myself to start being more responsible about my studies and being mature about what's to come in university. Knowing now that money is the biggest concern for me at the moment I wish I could've told myself to look for money anywhere so that I wouldn't be stressed out about not having money to pay for books or enough to pay for tuition. Another piece of advice I would give to myself would be to stay focused in college because everything is your responsibility to get the grades you deserve.

College has an outlook to be a great time, but it really takes a lot of dedication and time. It's not all about parties and fun. It's about changing the rest of your life with the start of an education. Concentration is key. I would tell myself to look more into schools that would fit my major and look good when graduation hits. I would pick a school that will fit my personality and style. I would tell myself to make a lot of friends and not to stick with the ones I have already. Life moves on, so don't regret anything. College is a whole new experience and make the best of it. You should pace yourself well and focus on everything. I would join clubs and stay active. College is a huge part of life, and just enjoy every part of it.

A sense of accomplishment that I haven't felt from anything else that I have done. Besides, I am a foreign student and English is my second language. Attending college at another country means enormous challenges. But once i made it, I'll feel more confident and a huge sense of achievement. A very good job with good pay. Job security. Some admiration from others. Use the skills learned to volunteer and help others. Knowing I can take care of myself and be on my own during college. Student loans were worth it and have since paid them off as planned. Friendships. Great memories.The greatest benefit was the completion of a long term plan/goal. Realizing because of college that there are a lot of things I can accomplish if I want to.

Out of my college experience I have gotten education. My whole purpose of being in school is to get an education and have a better life for myself. NAU has provided me with great teachers and awesome resources to help me succeed in my field of study. I have gained a lot more than just an education. I have been able to expand my mind and learn more. I have met some incredible people who have opened my eyes to different perspectives. Even if I do not completely agree with their views it still helps me grow as a person and I am able to view things through their eyes and they are able to view my perspectives and see from where I come from and why I am how I am because of certain things they do not have much of an understanding for.

I would tell myself many things. The first thing I would tell myself is do not room with your best friend from high school your freshman year in the dorms. I believe I missed out on a lot by already knowing my roommate. Another thing I would tell myself is to not get carried away with the drinking. Living in the freshman dorms I saw a lot of people get taken away on stretchers and driven away in ambulances. It was a real eye opener for me and made me realize how precious life is. The last thing I would say to myself is to make the most of it. Have as much fun as you can and meet as many people as you can. You only go to college once and you don't want to regret not doing something or missing out on something exciting.

Being in college has opened my eyes to different aspects of the world and caused me to self reflect about what I should have and could have done in my past, particularly during my senior year of high school. That time marked a scary and difficult time in my life because I didn't know what my next step was. I contemplated attending a community college, attending a university, and joining the Air Force. With that, the advice I would've given myself to get me through that time is that confidence is everything, so always have confidence in yourself, stay calm and focused when things don't go as planned, take hold of all your opportunities, value the importance of loved ones, and don’t be concerned with what others think of you.

There are many things students and parents should do to prepare for college. To find the right college for you, visit every college of interests and look at the positives and negatives of choosing that college. Also, go into college prepared to work because college isn't like high school. There is more work, but if you are prepared for it, you can get it done and still have time for other activites. Something else you should do is get involved. Whether it be attending football games or joining a club, any kind of involvement will help with your college experience. As for parents, you just need to be supportive of your child and there decisions. The more supportive you are, the more your child will enjoy there experience.

If I could go back in time with all the knowledge I have today, I would tell the highschool senior me to save my money. I would tell myself not to go to NAU, and to go to a community college for a year because it would be the wise thing to do for the new dreams I would discover in the near future. I would tell myself to start taking classes that would go towards this new dream. Going to a community college would not be fun, but it would absolutely be worth it. I would also tell myself to work on a lot more scholarships, because believe it or not, big dreams costs big money. I would finally tell myself to enjoy the time I had left, because although I was so ready to get out than, I would assure myself, I'd miss highschool.

I would tell myself to start planning for college as soon as possible during high school so that I can optimize my chances for being successful in college. I would start looking at potential colleges and applying for scholarships during my sophomore year in high school. I would also have talked to more college age students about their experiences in college so that I could have alleviated the fears that I had before leaving home for college. My anxieties during the summer before I left for college turned out to be greatly exaggerated from what actually happened when I started college. I would tell myself to just be myself and try hard academically just as I did in high school and then I would do just fine in college.

It's silly to know what you're going to do for the rest of your life when you're seventeen years old. It seems like a crazy notion. But, in the end, you need to persevere. It's better to continue education and figure it out along the way. The transition will be extremely difficult at times, and you will want to give up. It's vital that you don't. You will want to scream and go back to the comfort of home, the place where the people who make you feel whole reside. Every day is a new day, and all you can do is take it one day at a time. Give yourself credit and believe that you'll come through difficult times all the wiser and experienced for the next time. Meanwhile, have faith, and never give up on yourself. Persevere.