Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

As a high school senior, I thought I had my life figured out and planned to the tee. I later learned that as I grew in college my choices began to change. I wish I spent more time considering career choices that I would be interested in, by Taking a variety of classes and basing my decisions off of what would make me most happy later in my future. Rather being closed minded with a specific area. I would have been able to save my time in a field I later decided wasn't right for me. As far as tranisitions from high school to college. I would not change that. I have joined a sorority. IThe sorority lifestyle is perfect for my level of involveness and my outgoing personality. Another then I would focus on would be to stay positive and fight for what I want. As a senior in high school I went through some tramatic experiences and I would want to tell myself to hold your head high take advantage of the support system around you and know that college is the perfect oppurtunity I was looking for to grow and learn from the experiences.

I would meet myself back in 2006 at the front doors of my high school math class. I would stop myself and say ?where are you going to attend college?? Certainly I would know my answer but in 2006 I was ignorant about how college would be. Only little experiences while attending an upward bound program. I tell myself to meet outside and chat about what is coming in the near future. I would tell myself go beyond your classes and I know how talented you are. You are one of the top students in the high school and would graduate with honors. There are endless opportunities out there for school and you are a good candidate to receive all these opportunities. Do not be lazy and just do the paper work. Better to try then not to at all. When you get to college do not hesitate to sit up front in the class and stay away from that girl she is trouble. Just wait on the job and focus more on your school work because your job with interfere with your studies. During the hard times always remember where your coming from and why you are in college.

The advice I would give parents, is to listen to your child when choosing the right school. After all, they are the one's going to school (you can't relive your glory days through them). Give lists of affordable colleges if cost is an issue. And if your child chooses a school that is out of your price range, make a solid effert to look into all financial aid and scholarships to make that school choice a reality. But other than that, let them decide what college they think is best for them. As a student trying to find the right school for you, I recommend touring the college and imagine yourself living there. Does it fit? Do you see yourself living and studying there? I toured over 30 schools and I only felt that way about one school. And that school is where I have spent 3 almost 4 years now! Choose a school that feels like it could be an exciting challenge, but not too far out of your element of comfort. And when you get there, involve yourself with groups or activites that make you feel a part of your chosen campus!

" Senior year? First semester is the time to really focus on school; second semeser you're kinda off the hook! Thats when you start shifting your focus to scholarships. If you find scholarships you are eligible for, apply for them now, because as you get higher in your education, the less there are that are open to you. Don't skip out on Ferbuary. You'll regret it... and when you finally get to school...(college) don't be afraid to just randomly start conversations with people around you. Remember, hanging out in the freshman dorm does NOT make you lame. Its where you'll meet your best friends. They're new too, remember? And they want to hang out just as bad as you do. In May of your freshman year, say this to yourself again: You're free! NOW is the time to start focusing on the now. It isn't just about the future anymore. So long as you focus and get work done when you have downtime (like when everyone else is in class and you're free), you'll be able to find funtime. Just remember to relax; enjoy this. Its only here for now."

The advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be that you're going to college to get an education, acquire a degree, and get ready for life. Pursue the career you have dreamed of doing and, while showing them your utmost respect, don't decide on a major or anything else just because it's what your parents want you to do. Pray and think seriously about what YOU would like to do with your life then pursue it with all enthusiasm, commitment, passion, and vigor. Make good friends that will last you a lifetime. Enjoy your interactions with the opposite sex but don't concentrate on having a girlfriend or finding a wife. Remember why you're in college--it's to earn that degree. There will be plenty of time for pursuing a wife after college. Manage your time well. Carve out time for studying and stick to it. I promise you that if you manage your time well and following nearly religiously, you will have more free time than you ever thought you would have. Finally, keep your eye on the goal and strive for the prize!

Work hard and don't give up on yourself. Apply to schools early and work on getting as many scholarships as you can because paying for college isn't easy. Don't waste time doing nothing when you know that you should be doing homework. Don't join every club just because other people are. Join clubs that make you happy and will benefit you. Take up leadership opportunities because they'll teach you how to prioritize and organize your schedule. It's ten times better to be a student than to be an athlete. An athlete's career ends when they are no longer useful. With a good education and good schools, you can get a job that will ensure your future worthiness. Don't let your future control what you do now either. Don't try and predict what is going to happen in the future. Instead, just know what you want and pursue it to the end. Finally, do not let your mistakes in the past haunt you. Live your life without chaining your mind and heart to things that will hold you back. Stay free and dedicated to only yourself until you are ready.

I would not go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I believe I was mentally prepared for the college experience, and anything that I did learn in the first year was an experience that I was meant to undertake. It is my opinion that everyone should take risks and experience life for themselves. If I had told myself exactly what to be prepared for, I do not think I would have learned as much as I did from the experience. I also do not think I would have grown as much as a human being. Human beings learn from trial and error, and without these failures, we do not grow or become stronger individuals. I believe it is from my many experiences living overseas and having to move frequently with my father in the military that I was able to grow and become the strong individual I am today. This is why I think I was more prepared for the college experience and for the possible failures that I had to overcome during that first year. Today, I sit patiently with a 3.9 waiting for many other challenges to come my way.

I know that you are thinking about moving to New York, I would highly recommend it to you. As you now the world has been going through many socio-econmics problems during the last ten years. Now we are living in a era of competence where everybody is looking for the best opportunity in order to built a good future. Moving to New York will give you the chance to improve your knowledege as well the chance to have a better job and life. I am not saying that if you stay in The Dominican Republic you are going to anywhere I just want you to make the right decision and get the chance of receiving a good education. I am really impressed about myself, in two years I have achieved important goals in my life as been recognized my the college by been a hard worker student. In less than a year I am going to finish my Associated Degree . Now I am almost ready to transfer to a four year college where I am going to continue improving my knowledge.Your future is in your hands, just follow your heart, life is just one take advantage of it.

Dear Sean, Senior year is here! Having fun with your friends? Living the life you've been waiting for? Isn't it nice having a car? Isn't it tough living with mom? I know just as well as you do that the answer to every one of these questions is an astounding Y. E. S. Unfortunately, you have some misconceptions. Your friends are very fun to be around, but in the long run they do not have your best interest in mind. I know you do not fully believe that yet, but being with them and skipping classes that may seem pointless does you no good. It weakens your level of accountability, thereby weakening you as a person. You'd better count your blessing and never take any of them for granted, like that car you're driving. It takes one night of high school "fun" to demolish your car and put your life in jeopardy, trust me - the college freshman without a car. I know the most difficult part of your life right now is dealing with the nagging of mom day to day, but take a second to be thankful for the blessing of a loving mother.

College has taught me that education is more than getting a degree and a career. Education is about valuing our own growth and knowledge as individuals. I have become passionate about my own learning experiences and the future learning of my students and my children. I am a mother to two and I want to act as a role model for my children and my future students. I believe that education is our purpose in life because it is clear that none of us are here to stay the same; we are meant to be constantly changing and learning new things every day. College has taught me that education should be on a lifelong scale, not a two or four year one, and we should all be working to grow and expand with every new experience. College will offer me the opportunity to be a better teacher, parent, and person. It has given me the skills I need to make the revolutionary difference I want to make for the world around me. Eventually, I want to open my own school and use this knowledge to radically improve the education of thousands of children.