Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I?d tell myself to lighten up! College has been the most eye opening and remarkable experience of my life. I only wish my last year in high school could have been half as amusing! Instead, I was diligent being serious taking college classes by night, trying to finish high school a year early. It was as if the instant my parents left my dorm, I became a completely different person. The old Nicole that stayed home and studied all day was no more. I have never made so many friends who are all so wonderfully different. Even though I am a student first and foremost, it is the relationships that I exceedingly treasure now and craved in high school. If I was as open minded and content in my own skin as I am now, I could look back at high school as the ?glory days?. Now I look forward to everyday, wondering what is in store for me, what new friends I?ll meet, moments I?ll never forget. Although I cannot go back to high school, I can look forward to tomorrow and new memories.

Live on-campus your first year in a Freshman hall. It is so important for meeting people and feeling connected with your campus. If you work, try working on campus, they are usually much more understanding with student workloads and the time needed to study, not to mention it will connect you with the school more. If you are close to your family, go to school at least a few hours away, but not much further than that. STUDY ABROAD. Seriously important and life-changing. Even if you have to take out an extra loan, DO IT. Join intermural sports teams. Don't be afraid to live with people you don't know. Its one of the best ways to expand your cirlce of friends. If you meet someone who gushes about their school, consider going there, but make sure to ask what they love so much about it and what they are involved in. School is what you make it. You put in the effort to be a part of the community and enjoy, you will. If you sit by yourself in your dorm, you will hate it. Learn how to balance school, your social life and work.

If I was a high school student and could give my self advice about college I would say numerous things. College can be very complicating and make you want to give up sometimes. I would tell my self to plan well and stay oraganized. I would research more on the college expectations and limitations. I will prepare myself more efficiently and would not let small things get to me nor would I let my troubles worry me. I would write down my goals that I would like to get out of that college and goals that I would like to complete before getting there. I would recognize what I want out of the college and how I would go about accomplishing it. Most of all I would prepare myself to be motivational and ready for whatever is put before me. I would take advantage of my education and use it too the fullest extent. Last but not least I would teach myself to not give up or give in when times get hard and I feel like everything is shutting down on me. That is the advice I would give my self about college life and its transitions.

If I could go back and talk with myself as a high school senior, I think that I would definitely have a few things to say. I would tell myself not to procrastinate thinking there will be more time later. Time is precious! I would also tell myself to look for funding sources early and have an alternate plan in case things do not work out the way you think they should. No boy is worth sacrificing your future. Do not hold yourself back and always do your best. Learning from your mistakes really is valuable advice. Ask for help when you need it, don't be afraid! Don't think that there is a limit on dreaming and most importantly have fun! There is always going to be time to work and time to play. Most importantly, always remember to believe in yourself, you are only as successful as you make yourself out to be. No one is going to be able to live your life for you, take chances and it's okay to make mistakes. Always keep moving forward and strive to be the best you can be. Stay Strong and Hold Your Head Up High!!

One of the most important things in my opinion to finding the right college, is making sure that you like the atmosphere of the campus. Try to visit the campus Before you choose it. If it's too far away, check out some pictures or talk to someone who's been there. Living in an area that you don't like can stress you out, and the last thing you need is more stress. Think about the weather, the size and population, and the kind of activities available. Don't focus entirely on the atmosphere. You want to make sure the education is going to be right for you. Keep in mind what you want to study, but that people tend to change their major. How to make the most of college? Get out of your room! Take a walk around campus. Relax. Join a team, club, or check out a fraternity/sorority(they don't all follow the stereotypes that you've heard of; some are service or professional). Be open to the thoughts and opinions of others. Say hi to people you don't know. You're likely to make some new friends that might last a lifetime.

My college experience had taught me so much in the short semester that i've attended so far. I've learned new and interesting facts and theories from my classes and random facts from classmates. The most important thing that i think i've learn from college though is me. Moving away from home to attend college has made me refocus my attention from caring for my younger siblings to caring for myself. I've learned that i am stronger than i thought i was and that i can be a role model for my younger siblings. Having the opportunity to be exposed to a multitude of cultures has given me a better perspective on my own life. Before college i will have to admit that i was a bit ethnocentric, but mow i realize that there is a whole world of differences, and differences is what makes the world interesting. I don't think i could have learned so much about my self or about the world that i was blind to before if i had not attended a University. It has help me tremendously to understand myself and have repsect for differences.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would definately tell myself to study a little harder, but most importantly to not look some much at the name of the college but what the college has to offer and whether or not I can see myself there. I thought the only good colleges were the ones that were well known around the country, like Harvard, and Brown. However I am completely happy with my decision to go to Northern Arizona University, and although I may not have known it at the time, this is the place that I am meant to be. I am getting a quality education, and although the courses are much more tough than they were in high school, they are more beneficial. I am getting the chance to be on my own, independent but also close enough that my parents can visit on the weekends. I have met new friends from around the country and the world, and I am going to get the chance to study in another country as well. In all I would tell myself to stop worrying, everything will work out in the end.

My college experience has taught me how to be independent. It taught me responsibility of myself and that how I do in school will affect my future. Attending college has and is very valuable to me because I want to have a career in something that I would love to do which is be a catholic counselor but for children. If I would have had that as a child It would have saved me from many painful experiences that have affected my life. It is also valuable because I have learned the hard way that I only have myself and that I can only depend on me and god of course. When you get betrayed by the person you loved the most and you lose everything because of them and because you were naive you realized even more how important school is. If I would have prioritized my school and myself I wouldn't be where I am now with nothing. I would have my career doing something I love which is more rewarding than just the money and I would be able to take care of myself. College prepares you so you can face the world with confidence.

Look at what skills, what areas you are most interested in and where you find the most enjoyment. Once you know those areas then look to see what careers are in the field. Choose your school based on those that provide the degree closest related to your field. Search for a school that has instructors who work in that chosen field as they will have the best knowledge of how to develop and grow. Don't be afraid to venture away from home to find that perfect school. When you get to the school find and join the campus clubs and organizations that support and encourage your areas of interest. Take your time in school to do your best even if it means taking a lighter course load and making your time in school longer. Take classes on writing and public communication early on as they will help you with all future classes. Seek out tutors and study groups to help your grades stay high. Spend some time in the recreation facilities and with those programs that help you maintain your physical body while your mind is learning.

Parents, you want your child to grow and to learn. When choosing a college with your child, keep in mind that there is so much more learned in school than academics. Make sure your child looks for a school that matches their interests, but also look for a school that blends with your child's distinct personality. You want to still know who your child is when holidays and weekends home arrive. To be sure, you will have a different child on your hands at the end of the first year of college, so keep interested even when this wonderful human bursting with a new adventure is far away. College is the time when suddenly all those lessons you tried to teach are suddenly learned. They forget to thank the ones who originally told them those things, but you can be their support and guide so that the lessons are fully learned and so that they can learn that all the advice you tried to give them in their high school years was sincere. Finally, they will see you as the viable part of their life that you have been all along.