Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

When choosing a college or university to attend, I think it important to first choose a school in an area that you would feel the most comfortable in. For example if you hate thte heat, you propbably should not choose a school in Phoenix, Arizona. Then you would have to decide what areas of study you are interested in. You do not have to choose a major right away but you should have a pretty good idea of what you want to study. Making the most of your experience in college is to stay involved and not be afraid to try anything new. College is a new experience in itself and in order to make the best of it, you should always get involved and participate in school spirit activities. With this, you would meet all types of people while enhancing your diverse look on the world. You cannot lose focus on why you are in college so ofcourse school work should come before any other extra-curricular activities. If you follo those basic guidelines, your college experience should be very interesting and rewarding.

To scope out your potential college, get in touch with some of the students who already go there. You already have a certain personality and lifestyle, and your college should be able to offer an environment conducive to that, that celebrates that, even. Through your contact in that college, get to know the town a little bit. It helps so much to be able to live in a place you love, and to find work there if you need it, and to know what kind of transportation will work for you. Get connected as soon as you move in. Find a community, find clubs that you will add something to, that accept you. Find a good study spot, somewhere that you won't have distractions, and when you're there, you can focus on schoolwork or be creative. Don't be way too engrossed in your studies so that you ignore people, and don't get so caught up in socializing that you get nothing done, because then you'll be constantly stressed. Be a step ahead, try and organize even if you hate it, and manage your time so you can do fun stuff, too.

The advice I would have given myself as a senior would be very simple. Life is a journey, there are bumps along the way, and no one is saying it's going to be easy. Keep your chin up and do your best, no one can ever blame you for not trying. As a favor to yourself, don't let anyone run your life or make decisions for you. If you don't make them, chances are, you won't follow through. You have to be in it for the win and in it for yourself before you start pleasing others. Doing what you know is right is always better then gaining an advantage over others, never forget that. Chances are, if you aren't trying, you will not succeed, so keep at it with all your heart and remember the goal. Always keep yourself accountable to someone close to you who will keep you true to yourself, and don't be lazy and pass up opportunities just because you are too tired or don't believe something is worth it. Stay true to yourself and be honest with others. Explore, create, learn, enjoy, love, cherish and never give up.

Do you remember freshman year? How you never had to do any work, but could still get an A on your English test? Or do third hours homework in first hour, and fifth hours homework in fourth hour? It was like you didn't have a car in the world, huh? Well let me tell you something, in college, all of that stops. Immediately. You know how teachers are constantly badgering everyone about turning in homework and assignments? In college, they don't do that. In fact, they don't even tell you to come to class. Everything you accomplish, and everything you achieve, is all on your own accord. College is going to teach you one thing above all else; no matter how much try to you avoid it, work is inevitable, and not just the get an essay done in three days because you toggled back and forth between word and facebook kind of work, but the put your head down and focus for three hours kind of work. Hard work pays off, and in college, it will show. Don't be the one who has nothing to show for it when it's all said and done.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior making the transition to higher education, I would tell myself to be prepared. Life throws you fast balls at unexpected times, and its your choice if you want to close your eyes and swing, or have confidence in your hands and hit something spectacular. And to be honest I wasn't confident in my hands and now I have to work even harder to make up for lost time. Throughtout my life sports, popularity and friends have came so easytome, so having this outlookon life I expected college to come exactly the same. And now I realize, life.. it does not "just happen." You have to work for what you want. Go out and make a conscience effort because all the late-nights, sweat and sore fingers will pay off.. literally. Once you have your degree and see where your life is going you forget all the struggle. I've had a pretty easy life and one life sturggle made me realize what I need to do for myself and how important my education truly is. And now I value it more than ever.

I am glad that I have the opportunitiy to write this essay because often I do wish that I could transport myself four years back and do college all over again. I wish that I could tell myself what to do and what not to do based off my experiences through my college career. I would tell myself that no matter how easy a class seems to be you need to work hard and get an A. It seems to me that I have done very well in my hard classes and not so well in my easy classes. This is because the easy classes were not a challenge or I believed that the test would not take much studying. However, this has hurt my GPA because I did not take the easy classes seriuosly. I would also tell myself to be well organized and do homework assignments at least three days before they are due. I found that if you wait until the night before to do the assingment, it may take longer than expected and then you have to pull an all nighter. The all nighers are usually not necessary because the assignment could have already been done.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior the message would be simple, cherish your time. I found the most difficult thing about college and transitioning was time management. Suddenly I had extra time between classes, I could stay out as late as I wanted and I had no parents to tell me what to do. The problem was my workload increased dramatically. I would tell myself that no matter how smart I think I am in high school, college changes all of that. Nothing in college is unnecessary, if a professor wants you to read a chapter, you better read that chapter. If you don?t study for quizzes like they are test, you will fail. Also I would make sure as a senior I would know to spend more time with friends and family. I would want my younger self to spend most afternoons with friends that choose to go to school very far away and to realize how much my family does for my. Although staying in touch with the Internet is easy, once you leave the people you care about, you miss them terribly.

Hi, I am you in the future. I have some very helpful advice that I think your would be way better off knowing now rather than later. You are a highschool senior, thinking your know everything, but at the same time you are very nervous about where you will end up after graduation. Please take your math class very seriously, your are in College Mathmatics right now and getting a high score on that dual enrollment exam willl simply mean that you dont need to take any math courses in college for your major. It is very simple and only if your had taken it seriously then you didnt have to sit through the excrutiating pain of Math 100 in college. Oh and another thing, please take the time to thank every couselor and teacher who has made an impact in your life and guided you in the right direction. They dont get the recognition they deserve, after all it would have been alot harder getting where you are today. Please take these words of advice and shove them through that thick head of yours, yours truly, me.

Finding the right college is incredibly important. When chosing a college, look into the programs the college offers, and what the school is strong in. Next, I think it's critical to look at the location of the college. You have to realize that you will be living in that city for four years. If you hate snow, NAU is not a good option for you. If you can't stand the heat, ASU wouldn't be a great choice. I think it's also important to look at the quality and environment of the classroom. What is the ratio between teacher and student? Are the professors flexible? I think it's important to visit the school, to get a feel for the environment of the college. Then you can check out what else it has to offer, including recreational centers, clubs, and study halls. Some students need to go where they can afford. I think you should look into the financial aide office of each school and see what they can offer. Each of these are important in choosing a school, which is one of the biggest decisions in your life.

I would say do some research on the major you choose. Meet with the department heads and makes contact with them, get to know the instructors that you will have when you start school. Most of meet other students that are doing the same thing as you. Make friends that way you will not feel all alone and left out. Most of all apply early to scholorships and look into internships if you all ready know what you will be doing. Also look into study groups and learning centers that the school provides. Most of all stay in touch with your advisers, tell them of what you want to do because they do not read minds. You have to tell them what you want to do after you get your degree. Next most important thing is be wise on what you do with your money. There will be times when you have to spend money on books and its not wise to go on a spending spree. Make sure if you have loans see what type of interest rates they are offering. My next advise would be to get that classes you want early, before they fill up.