Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

The first piece of advice that I would give to prospective college students is to truly think about what kind of person they really are. This will allow students to think about the strengths and weaknesses of each school given their real personality, and not the kind of personality that they would like to have, which is how most people judge the kind of person that they are. The next piece of advice that I would give to students is to allow yourself to leave your comfort zone as soon as possible once you get to school, especially if you are living on campus. Meeting as many as people as you can at the beginning of your college career will make it much more enjoyable. The third piece of advice would be to go to all of your classes. It is much easier to study and succeed academically when you go to class. Going to class will also let you get as much as possible from your classes and you will retain a lot more information than if you simply study everything the night before a test.

The advice I would give parents and students when searching for colleges would be to not worry about the name of the college but what the college can do for you. It helps if the colleges of interest are researched for their programs, financial aid, and extra-cirricular activities. I find that it is important to determine if there is a developed program in whatever the student is interested in studying. It is more intellectually stimulating to have professors with different viewpoints in order to make a student think. In financial matters, I was personally given an academic scholarship, which tipped my final college choice towards NAU. Especially in difficult economic times, the availability of financial aid in any form helps to offset the rising costs of tuition. Although parents don't want to send their children somewhere to only compete in extra-cirriculars, but they look good on a job application after college and they also help the student cope with the stress of college classes.

It's been 4 years since I graduated high school, I am not at the place I would have imagined myself to be at this point. Stephanie I would like to tell you what an amazing person you are. Life is hard but you must keep your head up an keep pushing forward in ever aspect of your life. My biggest advice is to believe in yourself and your abilities. Stop being lazy in your classes and pay attention, do your homework. Make lots of friends but don't lose track of yourself and your goals. Make sure you save money so that you can spend a few months in France. Never stop traveling and living your life to the fullest. Don't put yourself in situations that will hinder you. Be bold and take risks and know your limits. Put yourself first, stay away from dangerous relationships and those who hurt you. Value yourself and keep in mind that you ARE good enough. Your heart will be broken but you will be okay and life will go on. Never change who are and stay humble. Good luck! I love you...I love me.

College has been a very liberating experience for me. In high school I wasnt the most popular person, I was kind of shy. I didn't talk to anyone or express my feelings how i would have liked to. When I got to college I realized I was in a different environment and would have to be comfortable in my surroundings, so I promised myself I would be a new person and experience everything I didnt in high school. When I got to college I joined a lot of clubs to get involved and meet new people, I joined the band to feel like a part of the school and I joined a sorority to feel like part of a sisterhood. At first I was afraid to start college because I didnt want it to be anything like high school. I couldnt have another 4 years of education just like high school. I knew it was time for a change and college was my outlet to do so. So on top of having a wonderful social life my grades are better because I am able to communicate with my teachers and they are happy to listen and help.

If only I knew then what I know now! Such a typically thought, I am sure, for so many people. To start, think before you act! Is this really such a good idea? Will this affect my future? Simple questions that would have made a world of difference if you had actually thought about the answers to them. Second, all those really "cool" people that you just had to hang around with, remember the ones who took advantge of you, the ones who convinced you it was cool to break the rules and get in a little trouble. Ya well, those people will most definatley amount to nothing later on in life and they will be wishing they took the road less traveled. They will never admit to it, but they will for sure be jealous of your achievements. Last and probably the most important, don't be afraid of making mistakes and don't beat yourself up when you do (you will, trust me). Those mistakes are a huge part of who you are. Remember, it is never too late to stand up, dust yourself off and start over.

Don't worry. Everything will turn out. All things happen for a reason. Do not hesitate upon making a change. Do not deny yourself happiness. Remember that you are young, Hannah. Things like jobs and money and adult responsibility will come in time, and sometimes striving towards independence ain't all it's cracked up to be. Just be yourself. Don't worry about what majors other people think are most lucrative. You don't even like graphic design, just go back to fine art. Stick with what your good at and get even better. No sense in pretending that you're someone else, doing something else. What's the difference between a desk job you hate and a design job you hate? None. So what if being a creative person won't make you rich. But then again who says it won't? Your heroes Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe kept telling each other and all the world that they'd one day be famous artists. And behold! So they did! Just have faith, padawon. Keep your chin up and your passions aflame.

The first thing I would tell myself would have to be "apply yourself". Just getting by is not good enough. You should always strive to be the best you can be, because once you hit the real world it does matter. Life can throw so many curve balls at you, and there will be times down the road when decisions you make now will show themselves again in the future, good and bad. Do not miss out on an opportunity ten or twenty years down the road because you decided on a Friday night to go to a party and have a few drinks, or because staying out late with your friends was more important than studying for tests, or finishing homework. I would tell myself to think before acting. I would let myself know that someday I am going to be a single father of a beautiful little girl, and inform myself how important it will be to get a good education now, and find a good career so that I can be a good role model and someone she can look up to as she grows up, as well as taken care of.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I woulld encourage myself to stay involved and stray away from taking an easy course load just because it is my final year. Colleges take your efforts as a senior in consideration and your involvement on your high school campus reflects your character positively. I would push myself to apply to any scholarship I qualify for early because on a college campus the pool of money can decrease fast. In addition to crafting a descent course load I would advise that I enrolled in more AP classes because any college credit is good credit to put you ahead of the game for your progression plan in relation to your field of study. Lastly, if I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would suggest being on my second submission of the SAT because the more you take it the higher opportunity you have to have a more competitive score. Fight the "senioritis", your last year is just as important as your first!

Throughout high school I was an acceptable student , however, that was one issue, I was only mediocre. I always managed to get a"B" in my classes, but this was never enough to stand out. I wish i could have talked to myself and forced myself to study harder and do the very best to my abililties. This would have helped me retain the information a little better, rather than memorized and slightly forgetting the information. Critical thinking is a big part of the college process. If I would have done more quality work during high school, there would have been a better chance of retaining the information learned. This information would have been useful when trying to solve problems for my college classes. There was not so much critical thinking in high school, it was mostly memorization. If I could go back in time, I would definitely tell myself to critically analyze the questions asked and spend more time with learning the information, rather than memorizing.

My transition to college was like being pushed off a high-dive, everything rushed in at once. If I could go back and give my high school self advice it would be to wait. I'd tell her not to go right to college just because she thinks she has to; to travel, live, and figure out what she likes to do. I'd say she has plenty of time to decide what to be when she grows up, and she'll change her mind a few times along the way, so pick things she'll enjoy doing rather that doing what she's told she should do. I'd tell her friends are wonderful, but spending all your time with them makes it hard to study; some of what I learned in class will actually be useful someday - she should pay attention. I'll also tell her there's a lot of things I learned in class that I never used, so don't study all the time - some of those friendships will last for years, and teach her things classes never could. I'd say "Have fun, take your time, and be yourself - there's no rush."