Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

The most frustrating thing about my school is all of the construction going on and the toxic herbicides they use in the grass. First, the construction ruins the beauty of the campus and it is hard to get to my math class because of all the trucks, fences, and rubble everywhere! Second, I just found out about the herbicides they use in the grass and they are very harmful to humans. Laying in the grass of NAU is something everyone does, and I don't want to get any kind of cancer for trying to be close to nature.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the availability of on-campus living. There have been times when students were stuck in study rooms while they sorted out a place for them to live. Also, they promote "staying connected" with on-campus living, but yet students have had to find a place off-campus which can be difficult to find. I also didn't like how they built a really nice new dorm and designated it a freshman connections hall. Thankfully it'll be upper classmen next fall.

My classroom is about four hours from campus. I'm involved in Northern Arizona University's distance learning program. The program is relatively new and experiences some difficulties with technology. We have an office here in town that is our basic communication to the university and can sometimes be difficult to get important paperwork turned in. The most difficult process through my schooling was applying and getting all of the necessary paperwork to the campus in Flagstaff.

The most frustrating thing about my school is when you are walking or at least once in our young lives running to class, is when you slip on the massive pile of snow and your books get soaked and all your stuff gets thrown about and people want to help but they are more caught up in laughing at you. Slipping on black ice is a new concept that I was recently introduced to and believe me after a couple of falls you dont really care which newton's law your using.

As I mentioned, I am missing out on being able to bond with my classmates. I have learned that online classes are just as hard if not harder than the "real" classroom setting. I have to fend for myself most of the time or make sure I get online when the instructors are available. It has been a real learning experience. There is no time to procrastinate even if I wanted to. Overall, I think I just miss the face to face with other students like myself.

When the water from the snow freezes at night, the ice can be annoying. Walking in the night makes it hard to tell what parts of the ground are frozen and which parts are not. Although, it is fun watching people waddle on the ice, trying not to embarass themselves by falling. The only real problem with ice is that you have to take your time and move cautiously and that can make it hard to get to class on time if there is ice in the morning.

There have been two times when I called the financial aid office and they had told me something that my parents did not have to pay their college loan until I was done with school. Well, it turns out that was not true and we have to start paying it off after the last disbursement next semester. That was very upsetting and now I have to take out another loan to pay off my parents' loan since we were not expecting those payments.

It is hard to be away from home. Getting homesick is hard to deal with but its manageable. It is easy to get discouraged and give up when you don't know what you want to do when you graduate but once you figure out what it is school gets a whole lot easier and you have a goal to work towards. Figure out what you like to do and find something you can see yourself doing in 20 years that will still make you happy.

I'm not currently in school so this is a tough question to answer. But, based on my previous university experience what I have to say is the most frustrating were some instructors. I felt that I was just a seat warmer not a student trying to learn. Given the time I was donating to highten my education in addition to the cost, I felt very frustrated with their lack of care and concern.

The most frustrating thing about NAU is that the advisors dont really take time to get to know you and what you would really like to be doing. I had to figure out a lot on my own, which means that I have struggled a little. Also the Financial Aid will not go to anyone in the middle class. My parents are paying and it is not a complete struggle, but the money is quickly going away.