Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

Take as many credits as possible. The more credits you take means the earlier enrollment time you get. It allows you to have a better chance at getting the classes you need, which is essential. During the enrollment month, it is utter chaos. All the freshman students tend to have the same amount of credits, resulting in them enrolling all at the same time. If you have a few more credits, you can enroll earlier, beating the rush. But make sure to take a work load that is manageable. Do not overload and make your college experience miserable by forcing yourself to take seven or more classes.

I wish I would have known more about the degree programs. I did not do as much research as i could have on them, because i have declared a major, Environmental Studies, but i am thinking about changing it to nutrition. Unfortunately, NAU does not have a nutrition degree available, so this means i am stuck with Environmental Studies, or i have to transfer. The councelors were not very helpful in explaining each degree program to me either. I wish they could explain what each degree was for and possible career choices with that degree, so i could have options.

I lived in Flagstaff all my life, so the weather was not a surprise; for those not familiar: pack a coat. Regarding school, I wish I had been more knowledgeable about the library and outside resources which would enhance my understanding in my major study area. This was before internet, when the library was an important tool, but I have had library service introductions in other schools, even in the days of online databases, and have found them most valuable. I believe some information of this sort should be provided as part of an enrollment packet.

There are two things that I would have liked to know before I came to NAU. The first one is to bring a fan, Flagstaff is an environment that doesn't need air conditioning but there can be some days where it gets hot! Secondly, I would have liked to know the importance of introducing myself and getting to know my instructors as early as possible. My instructors are knowledgeable and have had prior experience in the fields that I plan on pursuing. Their advice is invaluable during school and their recommendation will be invaluable after school.

I wish I would have known the pleasant nature of the majority of students and professors, or else I would have been able to fully appreciate my freshman year much more than I had. Instead, I stressed at the differences in area and lifestyle from back home, so I didn't fully make myself open until it was too late. I also would have liked to have known the many clubs and extra-curricular activities provided, so I could have been involved earlier. Finally, I wish I would have known how cold it gets up here, which is saying something.

Before I attended school I wish I had recieved more information, or advice, on the book ordering process. I did it very last minute before my first semester started because it did not occur to me to do it since it had not really been mentioned before. Incoming freshman need to be advised on the best way to buy or rent their own textbooks. They need to understand how to save money, since textbooks are extremely expensive. Without any advice on this it is extremely overwhelming to be looking for books last minute that cost a fortune.

I live two and a half hours away from NAU and I did not realize going up that I could come home whenever I chose. There were several weekends, especially on the holidays, when most of campus was gone. It would have helped my fear of leaving my original home! I also did not realize how well-developed the school is in tutoring, providing resources, and opening doors of opportunity for all aspects of a students life. I brought too much extra food, extra supplies, and extra "worry" that I would not be as satisified as I am now.

With a campus this size, it would have been nice to know exactly where certain resources were located and the easiest ways to get there, especially considering that the NAU campus is very much geered toward foot traffic (only two roads run through campus) rather than having students drive. Generally speaking most of these resources are located onthe North Campus, and the Cline Library is basically dead center of North Campus and offers a great place to orient yourself on campus.

I wish I had known what my passion was. To be able to come in and say " This is what I love and I want to have this incorperated into the rest of my life. " College is a place to explore and create new opportunities, and one I would have loved to take would to delve in deeper to my passions and learn new aspects of them and challenge myself. I now know they are photography and dance, yet it would have been helpful to know before entering college.

Before coming to Northern Arizona University, I can't say in particular that there are very many things I wish I had known. It is very important to visit the school before accepting their offer and participate in the orientation program. These were the things that helped me prepare for my time here, so I know that if I had not participated in NAU discover days or orientation, I would feel a lot less connected and prepared to the school life.