Northern Arizona University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern Arizona University

Paloma

I am an online student in Northern Arizona University. So far my experience has been very good. Although I cannot attest to the sports I can attest to how friendly and how helpful the guidance counselors are along with all of the teachers

Kendra

Great school with great faculty.

Adrianna

Northern Arizona University is an amazing school. The college campus is located in Flagstaff right near the San Francisco Peaks and only 40 minutes away from Sedona. There are many recreational and outdoor activities to do such as hiking the Flagstaff trails or in Sedona, indoor rock climbing, tubing in the Colorado River, snowboarding, skiing, ice skating, outdoor yoga, and so much more. A majority of the college students are very active and also super kind. The campus is relatively small and it's fairly easy to get across campus in a matter of time. The professors and advisors are always willing to help and make themselves readily available for our needs. The dorms on campus are also really nice, roomy, and comfortable. NAU's location also makes it a great place to take pictures and the downtown area is within walking distance. It's a great school and I really love it. The only downside would be the large increase of incoming students. I heard that since so many students are going to be attending NAU in the coming years, that juniors and seniors are not able to live on campus anymore and on campus housing will be given first priority to the incoming freshman. I didn't think that was really fair especially to the juniors and seniors who have four year scholarships at NAU. That is why I gave NAU 4 stars instead, but other than that the school and campus are great!

Jose Jovani

I love NAU. I have visited many times over the past years since my sister used to attend there and now is an alumni. The scenery is breathtaking, it is familiar to me, it has the major that I am pursuing, and it is in-state so it is not too expensive. I hope to go there in the fall.

Guillermo

Northern Arizona University is in my opinion, the most favorable university in the state. The weather is beautiful and there are always activities available for students to partake in. Academics are incredible. Every classroom has it's own challenges and keeps the students involved. Professors are the best part of the university. Instructors are always available for students in and outside of class. Security is NAU's top priorities. If you are an upcoming college Freshman or contemplating about transferring to a different institution, give Northern Arizona University a shot! You won't regret it.

Holland

Its a great place, to get away and submerge yourself into what you really want to do, there are endless opportunities to explore new things and enhance old ones. There are always going to be people who will find the same interests as long as you remain openminded to the people you meet and see. NAU offers great opportunities in order to active your independence and also learn who you are and who you want to be.

Kiana

I am finishing up my first year here at NAU, and overall I think it is a good school. I am very pleased with the education that I am receiving. The professors here are very friendly and they always make sure that they are available for you whenever you need them. They reply to emails fast, and their office hours are convenient. The amount of food options on campus are great as well. There are dining halls, cafes, pizza places, all you can eat buffets, and more. There isn't a lot of drinking or drug use here (not that I see) and I feel safe on campus. If there is a threat on campus, students receive a mass text from the school, letting us know what is happening and what we should do. I also like the amount of clubs, sports and activities that are made available to us. We have many sports teams and there is a club for every hobby and every interest. There are also lots of fraternities and sororities if that is what you are looking for. Something I would change if I could, is the on campus housing at this University. There is plenty of room for freshman, there is less room for sophomores, and when you are a junior or senior, you have to find a place to live off campus. There are many housing options near the school, however I think you should be able to live on campus during all of the years that you attend the school.

I absolutely love NAU and everything that it has to offer. I think that NAU is the perfect school if you want to be in Arizona because it is not too big but is definitely not small feeling. You get multiple seasons and get to experience all sorts of weather, beautiful snow included. I loved living in my residence hall and I loved how many things there are to do on my campus. There is always something to do and new people to meet.

Kamery

I enjoy going to NAU, but as the years go on I feel like there are too many people that come here. The class sizes are huge and it is hard to get to know professors on a personal level. I am not a fan of the new rule that only underclassmen can live on campus. I am proud to attend NAU and cant wait to get my degree in the future.

Donovan

NAU is a great school, the area and people are amazing. I really enjoy being there. It's a great change of scene from high school. I would recommend this college to anyone. There's almost nothing that can't be found and the facilities on campus are amazing. They really care about education and the students which is a great thing to be around.

Lysette

I have had nothing but good experiences at NAU. The professors have been incredible and they are always available to help you if you are willing to ask for help. The programs geared to help students are helpful to say the least, especially the PeerJacks program geared to help out of state students. I love Northern Arizona University and can't wait to continue my education there.

Shelby

Food is okay. Housing could be better, but there are good options available. Flagstaff in general is pricey. Class advisers are very helpful (will depend on major though). Always look up professors on Rate My Professor before choosing their class. Health services provided are very good. Even offer counselling and has an on campus pharmacy. Do not advise working on campus. They will pay as low as possible; typically 8.50/hour. Off-campus jobs aren't hard to find and most places in Flagstaff respect student class schedules and will work around them for providing hours. School isn't far from a used bookstore (Bookmans) that may provide clickers and books for very discounted prices. School bookstore can be very price, but some classes require that you purchase from the school and nowhere else.

Genelee

I have been wanting to go to Northern Arizona since I was in the 4th grade. Dream come true. Beautiful campus. Many activities. Friendly people. Great education. What more can you ask for! I try to convince people to either go or convince someone else to go to Northern Arizona because it is such an amazing school. Three years have gone by and it never ceases to amaze me. Let me stay forever!

tehlor

NAU is a great school with a beautiful location. Our school although away from the city, has a location that is very different and refreshing. The food, resources, people, and entire college experience as a whole is great. NAU gives a memorable and enriching college experience and offers a lot for its students to get involved with and find where they belong. I love going to school at NAU and have found a second family here!

Clarreese

I enjoy being here. The people, environment, and culture of the community contribute to why I feel so at home here. It's intriguing, inspiring, and a open campus. I definitely feel like the ethnic diversity could be better, but I'm also proud of the cognitive diversity at this school.

William

I love NAU!

Anthony

An independent mountain culture pervades Northern Arizona University. Even those who don't consider themselves outdoor types benefit. An awareness and appreciation for the university's setting invigorate the study, discovery, student life, and play.

Emma

I love it here. The professors are amazing and the quality of information being learned is extremely high. The on campus food could be better which is why I make my own food, but living on campus is amazing because it is super convenient to get to class. I love this mountain town.

Leah

I love Northern Arizona University. I firmly believe that it is the best in-state university in Arizona; it is small enough to be comfortable and inviting, but also large enough to provide a wide variety of excellent academics. All the professors are very approachable and always have time for their students. It is very easy to foster a relationship with the people that are instructing you. I think the campus and the people on it reflect the experience of Northern Arizona itself—there's always a calm sense of camaraderie and a feeling that adventure can be found right around the corner.

Sharon

I only spent a few weeks going to class before I felt completely out of place. I had feedback from one professor while in attendance. I am a very friendly person and had a hard time connecting with other students. I was put into classes that had nothing to do with my major and that could not transfer to any other college I was interested in so I decided to withdraw.

Overall my experience at Northern Arizona University has been incredible. Everyone is so nice and willing to help you, I have never felt weird about asking someone for directions. The class sizes also are usually around 40 people with the exception of a few big lecture classes. The professors are always willing to help, and it is super easy to make friends and form study groups!

Bronwyn

I love my school and the communities I've found here. Admittedly, there are some parts of the school I can't wholeheartedly recommend - for example the hot spot (cafeteria-type place) food is good but their dish washing is less so - but I've found most of my experiences here to be positive. Living on campus has been great, with the RAs in my hall being friendly and happy to help out when you ask. Classes have been great. Most of my teachers have been willing to accommodate my needs for technology or fidgets in class and occasionally extra help outside, which is important as someone with various attention issues. Flagstaff is a great area as well, with plenty of nature to provide a wonderful setting for the university. Just bring allergy medication for the spring. Overall, my experience here has been a very positive one. Sure NAU has a few downsides, but what university doesn't?

Alexzandria

This school is a great university to go to. If you are interested in living in an environment of acceptance, then you will want to go to NAU. All the professors that I have had were terrific and encouraged me to do my best and helped me whenever I needed it. I love NAU and could not imagine being anywhere else.

Hunter

NAU is a good school, but there are somethings that are a bit obnoxious. Some of the departments on campus, mainly parking services, will find any reason to screw you over and give you a fine or make you pay more money. However, I haven't met a person at NAU that is mean spirited which is a good thing.

Isabel

The atmosphere was very welcoming and inviting. It was the main reason why I chose to go to Northern Arizona University. While being a student at this school I found that University strives for the students to be successful. The school takes the initiative to have student helpers in classes that are large in size and difficult in content. The program is known as the student initiative program where students who have passed the class come and help answer questions as well as tutor other students that are currently taking the class. I found this program to be important to myself and other students. I have and will continue to recommend this school to others because of the resources and love that I felt this school has for its students.

adelyne

I am very pleased with the decision to transfer to NAU after receiving my AA at a community college. NAU has been very personable and involved in making my education journey as smooth as possible. I believe the professors are above average and do their best to make sure they are available to students. Particularly at the extended campus in Glendale, AZ the professors were very open and offered a lot of past experiences to help prepare us in our future careers. These professors and advisors have made it known that not only are they here for us now but also in the future.

lilly

After completing my first year at Northern Arizona University I can confidently say that I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend this university. The campus is beautiful throughout all seasons, the facilities are state of the art and accessible, the professors are helpful, I could name a whole list of things I enjoy about it. However, with any school there are a few cons, such as the limited on campus housing following your freshman year and the increasing population of students, which can make it challenging for class selections. Overall Flagstaff is a beautiful place to attend college, and Northern Arizona has everything I need and gives me all the enjoyment of college.

Shanlie

Beautiful campus, friendly admin., close-knit community.

Darnelle

I see this school as an investment in my future, rather than just some college. The people there all have somewhere they're headed or someone they wanna be. Whether it's to be big in politics or just to party every weekend, the sky's the limit.

Derek

I love Northern Arizona University. My parents are alumni of NAU and have taken me to the campus since I was young. I have always enjoyed the weather and the scenery Flagstaff has to offer. NAU is the perfect size campus for me especially since I come from a small rural community. The professor are accessible, academic help is available, and the campus is beautiful.

I absolutely love Northern Arizona University. I transferred last fall and have never looked back. Initially, my transfer to NAU proved a little difficult, as no one could tell me how my credits would transfer, but since moving down everything has gone smoothly. NAU’s transfer community is quite large, and a mentorship program helps new transfers make friends and succeed in the new environment. Through the program I have made plenty of friends very quickly. People on campus are generally very friendly and open-minded, and the campus is the perfect size for seeing people you know but also plenty you don’t. Around NAU there is lots to do if you love the outdoors. There is hiking, mountain biking, skiing, climbing and even some kayaking. There isn’t a whole lot in the way of shopping or clubs, but if you like breweries, local food, and bars with a decent dance scene, Flagstaff has it all. The only thing Flagstaff can be a little short on is off-campus housing, it is limited around the school and charges a premium price. That said, I have had minimal issues with it. Every professor I have had at NAU has been an attentive, generally caring individual who gives a good lecture. Some classes can be upwards of a hundred people, but most of my classes range from twenty to fifty people and I have never had any difficulty getting help. Professors have office hours, there is free tutoring available, and there are supplementary instructors for most classes that hold extra sessions. NAU may not be the most academically focused school in all areas, but they have a good business program. Overall the school is everything I want in a university. Go Lumberjacks!

Michelle

Good environment with a blend of academics and social structure to be able to either study or relax with a break on campus. There's always something to do on campus with entertainment found in sports or recreation and study help with free tutoring for help.

sara

Beautiful campus

Katja

I absolutely love my school, the professors are incredible, the environment is beautiful and calming , and the people are so kind and welcoming. The town is gorgeous and quaint. I don't think you will ever find anything like it, it is small and close knit, oh and we have four seasons! Woohoo!

Kerissa

Northern Arizona University is a good school . Despite the amount of students you have in a class, the professors are always willing to help you and help you understand the subject. Also, it not only the professors that try to help it a also the upper class men as well as other staff.

Bryson

Love it! I love the weather, the outdoor activities and the small town feel. My roommates are great and there are always people willing to help you out. The public transportation is easy to use. So far, all my professors have been available and willing to answer questions if needed.

Mya

I went on a visit this spring and I loved everything about it. I cannot wait to attend this amazing beautiful college. Talking was some of the bio professor has shown me that they are 100% confident in their student success. I am very excited to see the opportunities that this college brings me

I love NAU because everything they do has an end goal of helping the students. It's clear that they only want to see us succeed. There is always some kind of activity going on somewhere on campus that is put together to clarify something about the college, or help u s with stress relief, or help us find friends to study with. Class size has never been a problem for me. There are always professors or TA's available if I need help with the course content. Other universities left me with a very impersonal impression but never NAU. Not only that, but I have never felt unsafe. I've done a lot of walking to study sessions by myself at night and never felt as though something bad was going to happen.

Nellie

Northern Arizona University is a great school filled with equally as great people. Academically, it is challenging however there are many on campus resources that cater to helping students. There are numerous clubs/organizations that adhere to both academic and non-academic related activities (such as sports, outdoor activities, art etc). Being that the university is located up north, we experience all four seasons; allowing for a variety of activities to do on and off campus throughout the year. After only being there for a year, this little mountain town already feels like home.

Fernanda

Beautiful Northern Arizona University. A place with a perfect balance of work hard and play hard, compared to ASU and U of A; in my opinion mostly play hard. Flagstaff has the most community feel, every year that i have gone here i have met new people that i see all over campus and everyone seems to be connected somehow, this is great because i feel we have more of a bond rather than having close to 100k students and being a stranger to so many. It sounds cheesy but every time i walk throughout campus and look up at the pine trees, or at the people in the central quad slack-lining and laying in a hammock, i feel an immense amount of joy that i picked the best school in Arizona.

Monica

Its a beautiful campus with lots of activities and a lot of friendly people.

Courtney

The culture is very open and welcoming- most teachers and students are more than happy to say hello to anyone who passes by! Most teachers are very happy to help in any way they can, and they really do care about building relationships with their students. The campus is gorgeous, and Autumn is the best with all the leaves changing. Be ready for snow though! NAU cancels for snow on an extremely rare basis, so be ready to have a few chilly walks to class. The buildings are quite a mix between new construction and older, maybe 80s era. All, however, are perfectly functional without any real problems. The bus system on school days is pretty fantastic if you have to get across campus in a hurry. As a music student, I've been really impressed with the knowledgeable faculty. They are always willing to help out if you're a bit lost. I've heard that other fields of study have a pretty mixed bag of professors, but I've had good experiences so far. For the Arts, if you like a casual environment where you can be creative and go at your own pace but you still want classes that will challenge and engage your learning, NAU is fantastic. As far as cost I think NAU's pretty average...they do give out full tuition scholarships for high academic success to anyone who meets their guidelines which is pretty fantastic. It's not a lottery draw for who gets the scholarship. Be prepared for some hefty fees...between class fees, recreation fees, transportation fees, etc. I'm forking out around $750 extra per semester (fees are not covered by the Lumberjack tuition scholarship). Another good thing- profs are usually pretty reasonable when it comes to books. They'll be very upfront about whether the book is required for the class or not, and some professors will use older editions (cheaper rental/purchase) or even free online textbooks. Overall, I'm pretty happy here. :)

Abriana

I think that Northern Arizona University has an environment of friendly people and beautiful scenery. I think that there is always something to do, whether that is going downtown or going to parties. I feel like it is very easy to find people you connect with. I would definitely choose this school again. The only negative thing about this school would be the limited housing. They need to expand their on-campus housing because they ran out of housing even for the 2nd year students.

Melissa

Great little school, teachers care about what you are doing. Beautiful campus, foods alright, students are really friendly, people aren't afraid to stand up for what they believe in and help others with whatever they need. Campus housing is pretty good. 8/10 overall

Kelly

I think that NAU is a great school. Like all schools, there are most definitely things that could be worked on, but overall, the campus is clean and safe, and professors are very nice and usually readily available. It's my first semester up here, and I have been very impressed with the advertisement in dorms to get students to participate in events that are being put on by the dorm Community Council and by the RAs. My particular RA is one of my closest friends here, and I feel very comfortable talking to him about anything. The food isn't the best, but there are definitely quite a few healthy options, like Jamba Juice, a salad bar and Asian grill in the cafeteria, a place that makes just salads, and Subway. I have made some great friends and am very happy here. Academically, my classes are fairly small, and I have gotten to know several of my professors very well, and they know me by face and name. I am excited to continue my next 3 and a half years of university up here!

Natalie

The school comes across poor when it comes to housing, social life, culture. It is not worth attending unless your state is in WUE. Academically at times it can be bearable, but there are a few scattered professors who would rather be rude to the students than helpful.

Northern Arizona University is very focused on academics, but also on encouraging students to network and build support groups. There are frequent on-campus events and almost every weekend you can find something to interest you downtown. Every first Friday there is an art-walk downtown and most residence halls have meeting times for students to gather in their lobbies and walk down together. The food is pretty decent, with good variety, but after about a semester can get bland and boring. But it's real, so you know it's better than high school cafeteria food. The only thing is like 95% of the students do drugs, so if that's not your scene, just prepare yourself.

Marissa

Great school, good community feeling type vibe.

Northern Arizona University is an accepting, calm school with plenty of interesting classes. There is always help available for anything hard to understand or just to review. The people are kind and there is always someone willing to engage in an interesting discussion. The campus is beautiful and always easy to get around. Flagstaff has plenty to do and the surrounding ecosystem offers beautiful opportunities.

adrianna

Overall, I do think Northern Arizona University is a fantastic school. The gorgeous surroundings as you walk to class through a forest and numerous opportunities to connect with teachers and peers is phenomenal. The classes are of adequate size but could be smaller and there could be more food options. For the most part, teachers and administration are always there for you as you try to improve your learning and progress through life.