Dekalb, IL
Northern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Illinois University

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would advise myself to take my classes more seriously and earn a good GPA. I would tell myself not to stress about making friends because all of the incoming freshmen are worried about the same thing. I would tell myself to spend a lot of time with my family and appreciate the little time that I have with them. I would tell myself that the transition from high school to college will be easy, just take a deep breath and be excited for what is about to come. I would tell myself not to be upset about not being on varsity cheerleading and become involved in organizations and clubs in high school and not wait until freshman year of college. Overall I would tell myself, college is full of opportunities so take every chance I get to be an integral part of Northern Illinois University.

Northern Illinois University is know for the home feeling it brings to the students and their families. A lot of students attend NIU for the proximity to home, which is why I decided to attend this school. A majority of the students come from surrounding towns, which emphasizes the home feeling. There are many stores and activities both on and off campus that provide students with the resources that they need to stay at the school over the weekends. Overall NIU is the students home away from home.

The best thing about Northern Illinois University is all the opportunities the students are given. There is such a variety of organizations, clubs, leadership positions and jobs. Students are always encouraged to be involved and let their voices be heard. Every club and organization that I am in, is student run and student based which means each member gets every opportunity to make the most of their college experience through involvement. Northern Illinois University thrives off of student career success, and the importance of students finding jobs after they graduate. Overall NIU gives students the opportunity of choice.

Jian

This school is very diversite fill with people who came from another countries. So far, there are welcoming and kind.

Right now, I know about how collegel ife is. Time traveling to myself as a high school senior back in the year 2013-2014. I could've given myself an advise of trying to participating after school and other extracurricular activites. Telling myself that college life is a diversity place where people from all over the world coming into the university. People in different culture and different ethnicity are very common around the campus. I could also note to myself that the only way to find out how college life are, is to visit the campus in person. As well as, keep looking for scholarships. However, I did applied to a lot of scholarships during my senior year in high school. But, I haven't won single one of any scholarships so far. This is how I would give an advise to myself in as a high school senior, and someday I hope to finally have the opportunity to win.

The best thing about my school is the size of the campus. There are most places that is worth a while of

Moesha

My claasmates are very outspoken, and they all like to engage in discussions.

My claasmates are very outspoken, and they all like to engage in discussions.

I would tell myself to be ready for last minute changes such as a test date or room number change. I would also tell myself to be more engaged with others in class and those who live around me. The change is very different going from being with people I have known for years since elementary school to knowing absolutely no one. It can be scary to talk to new people, but it can be worth it in the end.

The worst thing about my school is the bus schedule and routes; if a bus is full it can go pass the stop you are standing at and you have to wait for the next available bus.

christian

The professors are really helpful, however financial aid is really bad because they do not award students enough money. Getting help from financial aid is hard too because they are always buzy(or so they claim), especially on the phone. Food is average. It is somewhat diversed, but on the weekends the school is dead because there is no activities thus, everybody leaves.

Engineering program when it comes academically.

If I can go back in time to change things, I would have worked really hard in my senior year to get above 30 ACT to get a scholarship because right now, I am struggling financially to pay for college. I would have worked at least two jobs and saved enough money. I would have also prepare earlier by taking classes at a community college so I would not have to take so much credit in just a semester to become an engineer.

Jade

As a high school junior and senior i did not take the proper steps needed to get the most out of colleges money wise. I was so worried about going out of state to college and on athletics. I would go back and advise my past self that i need to apply to as many illinois schools as possible and that i shouldnt go to community college the first year to just dive into the college atmosphere as a freshman. I would also advise myself to go straight into the athletic training program as a freshman and not to waist time majoring in biology. I also would advise myself to get involved on campus to make your transition alot easier.

I dont believe their isnt a certain type of person who shouldnt attend this school. I would have to say that a person who isnt responsible enough to handle being on your own and making your own decisions should try community college before going away to a University.

Anybody who is dedicated to their school work and are not just coming to college to experience the college life.

Nicholas

My classmates depends on the person either being very studious, hard-working, or not really sure why they are in this class.

If going back in time to the time when I was a high school senior and be able to give myself advice when it comes to college after being through with my first year; I would tell my past self to work on scholarships and to not let stuff that happen get to you. The reasoning behind these pieces of advice is that when it came down to the tuition and overall cost of living in the dorms and going to a 4-year university the cost will continue to rise more and more. With completing scholarships some if not most of the money paid towards my tuition will be paid for and with my family financial problems to overcome that would have helped dearly. Going to the second piece of the advice when you let stuff get to you it can greatly hurt how you feel and being there living on your own. Not only that it can hurts those around you which I have had happen and I greatly wish I can go back to make sure it didn’t happen. That’s what I would tell myself if I can go back in time.

I like being in a new environment to get a new understanding of the school but also the classes. What the teachers have to offer can benefit myself to the best of my abilities.

Ashleigh

If I could go back to that time in high school, I would tell myself to do the best I can academically. I also would tell myself to resist outside temptation and do what I need to do to graduate on time.

I am just starting at this school this fall but I feel this school is very diverse and challenging.

Clayton M.

It means well and its full of people with greatness but it can still hurt someone looking for programs that it doesnt offer.

Advisor can only give you advise, go to upperclassmen about your classes and schedule. Getting involved does not always have to mean join a organization, just join and help events.

My school in one sentence is big, sperated, helpful, and about there business.

My school in one sentence is big, sperated, helpful, and about there business.

If I could go back to high school and talk to my self knowing what I know now I would tell myself that college isn't any joke. I would tell myself to get ready for a taste of the real world. There isn't going to be anymore of your parents picking up after you or taking care of your business, be prepared to be on your own . Before you go to college apply to as many scholarships as you can, even when you enter college keep on applying for scholarships. When you get in college join activity because it will make your college experience better. The transition will not be easy, but talk to your consolers, make friends, get to know your campus so you can start getting comfotable. There will be a lot of parties but don't get distracted and stay focus on your school work, because there will be parties everyday, seriously! Don't stress yourself out and everything will be okay. Goodluck!

The most frustrating thing about my school is the sepertion between races. I say this because every race sticks together, no one tries to hang out with a different race and it they do they are talked about. For an example if a black girl is seen hanging around a group of white people, people are going to start calling her white. This is something that i think needs to be changed about my school.

Christopher

Starting early on the college applications and making sure you don't wait until the last minute to get majority of the things done.

A person with no education, identity, discipline, and a heart and soul taken place inside of them

The worst thing that could possibly happen at my attended school is a riot or a servere shooting on or off campus or even in the school. The school would then be shut down and my education would be limited by the negativity outbreak

Northern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.