Dekalb, IL
Northern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Illinois University

Kristen

NIU is a pretty decent school overall, especially for the price. The theatre program is much better than you would expect, despite us not having an official building yet because of renovations. The food here is decent and if you're into parties, you can easily find them. The facilities here are overall pretty good as well.

Caitlyn

I think the Professors there are pretty nice and enthusiastic. They really try their best to make sure every student will succeed in their class. There are a lot of organization here as well. The atmosphere as a whole just feels welcoming to me.

Tell us about your professors.

All of my professors that I've had so far have been welcoming, nice, and very enthusiastic about what they do. When I needed help on something, they would do all that they could to make sure my problem was solved.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I would say the library. It's very quiet of course. It has a computer lab and it also has a cool cafe in the basement.

What do people really wear to class?

Some people look really nice coming to class. Some go all out and dress up, but they may be involved in different organizations. And, of course, some just come in their sleepwear.

I usually brag about how diverse it is. There are many different ethnicities here on campus, and I'm proud of that.

Frats, sororities, and sports teams are pretty popular. I'm not sure if the students there put an emphasis on relationships, or at least the ones who are single don't. I've met all of my friends in class. I also think there's pretty much always an even going on. You just gotta know the right people.

There are a lot of social people at the school. Some are only social to people they know and some, like me, are social to everyone. I think the students here are pretty chill for the most part. I don't really see anyone majorly dressed up when they go to class. It's a casual vibe.

I wish someone told me that your social and partying life will be highly dependent upon the people you meet and get to know. So, if you don't know any fun people, you'll probably do what I did and just write your papers and chill in the dorm most of the time. It is NOT a given that you will be at every party that is thrown your freshman year. Moral of the story: This generation needs to put their phones down and stop being so anti-social so the not-so-anti-social people, like me, will have more amazing friends and fun memories. Please and thank you.

I woud say my class mates generally do not know what they want out of life ans are not very proud of attending NIU.

The advice I would give would be to stay true to myself. It is easy to let older kids influnce your actions and opinions in negative ways. I would also tell myself to take people serioulsy when they tell you to get involved on campus. You truley get out what you put into your college exerpeince. The final thing I would tell myslef is that money is not everything. You may be stuggling now but it is for a better future.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the limited parking. It is hard to get to class on time when there are never any spots.

Erica

My school has given me a great education and college experience.

My school has given me a great education and college experience.

Relax! Everything is going to be fine. Don't choose your college by where all of your friends are going. Going to a college where you don't know anybody helps you grow as a person and forces you to meet new people. Some of those people will end up being your best friends. Be yourself and don't make decisions based on what anyone else says. Do what is best for you, both financially and socially. Don't be afraid to take a risk. When you look back in 10 years, you will be glad you had the courage to take the risk and chase your dreams. Stay focused on the things that matter and don't let the little things bother you. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is you, your family, and your happiness. Be nice to mom and dad, they love you and they are only trying to help you because they have been in your shoes. Finally, stop worrying! Worrying doesn't help the situation. Enjoy each moment and learn something new every day!

Christine

My school, Northern Illinois, is best known for their buisness program. Our program is nationoally ranked, and helps every student grow to their full potential.

If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would tell myself many things but the most important thing I would tell myself would be to be myself. As cliché as that sounds, that is the most important thing that I am realizing now in college. I spent so much time worrying about what people thought of me that I never got to understand who I was. Be sweet, be generous, be crazy, be awkward, be loud, and be weird. Once senior year is over, chances of seeing your peers are very slim, so BE YOU! Do not care what the jocks or the popular think. As long as you are being true to yourself, friends who are meant to be will come along. Life is way too short to worry about petty things like the opinions of other people. Christie Joseph, you are great, funny, amazing, kind, intelligent and an overall stupendous person. BELIVE IT!

The size has been an issue for me. Northern is a great school but the location is very bland. I come from a rural area and now I go to a college that is in a rural area. I would have liked to attend a large school or one in the city. I feel there may have even been more opportunities in a larger school and more of a chance to meet new people.

Amber

Take more time deciding what you like to do and developing that. Choose a school less by location and cost more by credential...

Take more time deciding what you like to do and developing that. Choose a school less by location and cost more by credentials.

I met a few professors who were passionate about making a difference in their students lives.

There was a lack of parking by classes for general education.

Francesco

If I could go back in time and converse with my former self, I would have a substantial amount of information and advice to relay. I would warn that the pace of the college courses is four times that of high school; success in high school does not necessarily lead to success in college. A different study approach must be implemented in order to accommodate for the accelerated rate of information presentation. I would also forewarn of the devastation of procrastination; certain assignment can be procrastinated in high school and one can recover, but this is not true of college. Since college is intended for the preparation of one's career, one must think continuously about the goal and the afterward; any discrepancy can produce consequences that hinder the outcome of one's professional future. Overall, there is a much higher degree of responsibility that is bestowed upon college students. Students must adapt to being independent without losing all sense of responsibility and respect; unfortunately, this is something that I had seen far too often. I would inform that there is a way to enjoy the independent lifestyle while retaining morals and respect for the general population.

The best thing about this school is the pre-medical advisor Dr. Gasser. Dr. Gasser has been the most helpful member of the school throughout all my years in attendance; he is very straightforward, hard working, and dedicated to ensuring the success of students. His demeanor combined with his knowledge makes him extremely approachable. Any issue that has or will arise can be fixed through interaction with Dr. Gasser; he completes tasks in a timely manner with the utmost quality. I have had to interact with numerous faculty members throughout attendance and none have compared to Dr. Gasser.

Unfortunately I am not one to brag, but what comes up a lot when I talk to my friends is the grading style of most teachers. For many of my upper level science courses, I have witnessed tremendous curves that have allowed me to excell beyond a perfect score. A substantial amount of classes have had to curve the class about ten percent in order to accommodate for the students who did not perform well throughout the semester. This is something that I find amusing and awesome; it is awesome because I am able to exceed the standard score limit.

Theodore

Northern Illinois University is a great school filled with accepting people, great research opportunities for every major, and pleanty of clubs to keep you entertained through the year.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to try to get more general education credits out of the way. They seem to be the hardest part of college so far. I'd also advice myself to get more involved in clubs earlier in the year and to start making friends before the year starts. If you're worried about the difficulty of college courses, I'd advice that you look into some of the free college classes, particularly in a course that you will have to take at some point. This will allow you to practice taking lecture notes and the typical homework load for similar courses. You'll also have an easier time when you actually have to take the course for credit later down the road as you have built experience and knowledge by taking the free online course.

NIU is a place for any kind of person. As a computer scientist, I can say that it has a great CS program that is easy to grasp yet still useful outside of the classroom. Most of the people I've talked with are accepting, fun, and intelligent.

I personally am not happy with this school. They do not offer proper academic advising or financial aid advising.

I am uncomfortable at NIU because it is not the right environment for me. It is basically in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. I feel trapped in this school. The students here are White or Black. I think that because NIU is in such a secluded area not a lot of people are aware of what is going on outside of here and thus lack important knowledge about politics

My major is Rhetoric Public Communications and Women and Gender Studies. I think that the professors in this school are outstanding at what they do. My favorites class would have to be my Latin class.

Northern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.