Northern Illinois University

« See more reviews of Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University is unique for its community, majors and campus surroundings. The campus has its advantages such as having the huskie tracks to take students to their classes and back at the dorms. Our community unites together with different organizations to form a union as a whole. We also have a greek life to form bonds between brothers and sisters. NIU is unique for its reliability for study locations such as the library, the American Resource Center, dorm lounges and pretty much everywhere and anywhere. I love how we can have fun and study at the same time.

NIU is a larger school but it feels a lot smaller than in actuality. It is nice to see familiar faces everywhere you go even though it houses more than 18,000 undergraduates. The professors are more than willing to help students one on one, and this is not common on most college campuses. The NIU College of Business is outstanding to say the least. Students get ivy-league instruction for state prices; we have even used Harvard business cases in some of our classes. NIU genuinely cares about its students and wants to see them succeed post-graduation.

My school originated as a teacher training university. So, it was created to prepare students who were pursuing teaching careers, not any other careers. As the years went by, the university developed several programs. Today, there are several majors and minors within the six colleges at this university. I am proud to attend NIU because I know there was several teacher certification majors who came before me. It is motivating to understand that if thousands of teachers could graduate in over a hundred years before me, I can, too.

Coming from a nursing student, NIU's nursing program is second to none. They have a 99-100% pass rate. Their standards are set high and the best of the best are chosen for the opportunity to become nurses who not only receive the best education, but are dedicated to taking care of people. NIU, as a whole, makes every attempt to unify the student body through sports events and activities around campus. The professors here make every attempt to ensure that all of their students pass their classes.

What makes Northern Illinois University unique when compared to other schools is the fact that the students here are very resilent when faced with adversity. The campus population, along with the town of Dekalb was very affected by the events of Feburary 14th, 2008 and I have seen the people here dedicated their lives to the memory of those lost innocent lives. Most other schools seem superificial both academically and socially, but here, students learn from the best and become the best..

Something I noticed about Northern Illinois University that was unique in comparison to other universities is the housing arrangements. There are five different dormitories, as well as several off-campus living facilities. Some of the dormitories are specialized according to major too. For example, the TEACH house is a section of a dormitory specialized in housing and helping future educators. I have not seen the specialized dormitory option in the other universities that I considered.

I attend a large university, but in a short time I felt comfortable and at home here. What is unique about this University is that many of my high school teachers attended this school. They told me of their experience here, and I felt enthusiatic about attending NIU. I lived on a floor where everyone is an education major. I don't know if this is unique to my school, but I found this very interesting. From the start, I lived with students who shared my interests.

At NIU, not only are the academic resources strongly available, but so are the extracurricular resources that are side by side with majors. NIU also is diversity and student-centered, so there is always a resource available whenever any conflict arises. People tend to fear our university because of February 14, 2008, but the tragedy helped strengthen all of the students to become better people and more caring about others.

Northern is so close to home so when I need to go home to work, I can. I love all the people I know and they truely have become my best friends. All my teachers are so willing to help and really care about each student individually. Ever since Feb. 14, 2008 our college campus has come together so much and became more of a community. Everyone kind of looks out for everyone now and are all friendly.

Althought the school is located away from major cities it is close enough to home to visit once in a while, yet far away enough to become more independent. It creates an apportunity to mature and lets us be ourselves and explore who we really are as an individual. Other school I had considered were too close to home and would take away the benefits of living on my own.