Northern Illinois University

« See more reviews of Northern Illinois University

The worst thing that I would consider about my school is the lack of academic involvement within some of the students that attend Northern Illinois University. I am a student that works very hard day in and day out in school, and I pride myself in my work. Some students that attend this university do not take school seriously, and would prefer to have excessive fun. I am very determined to be successful, and I do my best to surround myself with people who are also determined to be successful at this university.

The worst thing about my university was the lack of concern by college advisors. Often times when I met with my advisor I felt as though I was being rushed. There was never a time where I connected with my advisor on any level, including when having discussions about the field. I believe that it is vital for students and their advisor to make some type of connection. I felt as though I had to find my on way, this was even difficult than most would expect, because I was a first generation collefe student.

Maybe the worst thing about this school is that there arent too many places you can go besides parties. There are no huge shopping malls to get clothes from, or shoe stores. There are lots of places to eat though., But they get you when you pay tax. Tax there is super high from my city of Chicago. Also there are alot of lady bugs around this school, they tend to be in your dorm room if you even leave your window open. But since we have a long winter period they die off. The winter is very bad here.

The worst thing about this school is the lack of ability to park anywhere near campus. Parking is very limited and fills up fast. The bus system is nice to have, but generally only if you catch it at the right time. The over crowding gets even worse around homecoming time when we have an excess amount of people around town, usually a lot of people from Chicago. Many of them are here to see the concert following the game but with that many people here tensions rise.

I would consider the lack of safety the worst thing about Northern. As everyone is probably aware of, lately northern has been in the news negatively for the amount of violence that has taken place over the course of the semester. This has given the school a negative representation and takes aware from what high school and college students should be viewing the school as, which is a place for individuals to further their educational knowledge

I know that everyone probably says the same thing, there is nothing wrong with my school. There really isn't at NIU. The only things that I would consider bad are the things that every school has, some classes are hard to get into, money situation doesn't always work to your liking, or you don't get the best professor at the school. All the things that I would consider to be bad happen everywhere.

At the time that I attended NIU there was not much life off of campus. There were not many places to go such as stores, entertainment, etc. Although during my later years at NIU the towns around the campus did start to build up. I have not had the opportunity to go back and visit for a long time, but I have heard that many shopping centers/stores/etc. have popped up all around.

I think the safety on and off campus is the worst part about NIU. There are several violent and criminal incidents in the community. Although the campus and community police patrol the area and respond to calls, they usually cannot make it to the scene to arrest the suspect. I do not feel safe walking on campus because of the ongoing violent crimes in the area.

The size has been an issue for me. Northern is a great school but the location is very bland. I come from a rural area and now I go to a college that is in a rural area. I would have liked to attend a large school or one in the city. I feel there may have even been more opportunities in a larger school and more of a chance to meet new people.

The worst thing about the school is that it has a bad reptuation. Two years ago students were shot by a fellow student who in return shot his self. another tragic event is there were a kidnapping that later became a homicide of a fellow student. So with those tragic events it creates a bad reputation which is bad toward my school.