Northern Illinois University Top Questions

The advice I would give would be to stay true to myself. It is easy to let older kids influnce your actions and opinions in negative ways. I would also tell myself to take people serioulsy when they tell you to get involved on campus. You truley get out what you put into your college exerpeince. The final thing I would tell myslef is that money is not everything. You may be stuggling now but it is for a better future.

Relax! Everything is going to be fine. Don't choose your college by where all of your friends are going. Going to a college where you don't know anybody helps you grow as a person and forces you to meet new people. Some of those people will end up being your best friends. Be yourself and don't make decisions based on what anyone else says. Do what is best for you, both financially and socially. Don't be afraid to take a risk. When you look back in 10 years, you will be glad you had the courage to take the risk and chase your dreams. Stay focused on the things that matter and don't let the little things bother you. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is you, your family, and your happiness. Be nice to mom and dad, they love you and they are only trying to help you because they have been in your shoes. Finally, stop worrying! Worrying doesn't help the situation. Enjoy each moment and learn something new every day!

If I could go back in time to my senior year, I would tell myself many things but the most important thing I would tell myself would be to be myself. As cliché as that sounds, that is the most important thing that I am realizing now in college. I spent so much time worrying about what people thought of me that I never got to understand who I was. Be sweet, be generous, be crazy, be awkward, be loud, and be weird. Once senior year is over, chances of seeing your peers are very slim, so BE YOU! Do not care what the jocks or the popular think. As long as you are being true to yourself, friends who are meant to be will come along. Life is way too short to worry about petty things like the opinions of other people. Christie Joseph, you are great, funny, amazing, kind, intelligent and an overall stupendous person. BELIVE IT!

Take more time deciding what you like to do and developing that. Choose a school less by location and cost more by credentials.

Francesco

If I could go back in time and converse with my former self, I would have a substantial amount of information and advice to relay. I would warn that the pace of the college courses is four times that of high school; success in high school does not necessarily lead to success in college. A different study approach must be implemented in order to accommodate for the accelerated rate of information presentation. I would also forewarn of the devastation of procrastination; certain assignment can be procrastinated in high school and one can recover, but this is not true of college. Since college is intended for the preparation of one's career, one must think continuously about the goal and the afterward; any discrepancy can produce consequences that hinder the outcome of one's professional future. Overall, there is a much higher degree of responsibility that is bestowed upon college students. Students must adapt to being independent without losing all sense of responsibility and respect; unfortunately, this is something that I had seen far too often. I would inform that there is a way to enjoy the independent lifestyle while retaining morals and respect for the general population.

Theodore

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to try to get more general education credits out of the way. They seem to be the hardest part of college so far. I'd also advice myself to get more involved in clubs earlier in the year and to start making friends before the year starts. If you're worried about the difficulty of college courses, I'd advice that you look into some of the free college classes, particularly in a course that you will have to take at some point. This will allow you to practice taking lecture notes and the typical homework load for similar courses. You'll also have an easier time when you actually have to take the course for credit later down the road as you have built experience and knowledge by taking the free online course.

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would advise myself to take my classes more seriously and earn a good GPA. I would tell myself not to stress about making friends because all of the incoming freshmen are worried about the same thing. I would tell myself to spend a lot of time with my family and appreciate the little time that I have with them. I would tell myself that the transition from high school to college will be easy, just take a deep breath and be excited for what is about to come. I would tell myself not to be upset about not being on varsity cheerleading and become involved in organizations and clubs in high school and not wait until freshman year of college. Overall I would tell myself, college is full of opportunities so take every chance I get to be an integral part of Northern Illinois University.

Jian

Right now, I know about how collegel ife is. Time traveling to myself as a high school senior back in the year 2013-2014. I could've given myself an advise of trying to participating after school and other extracurricular activites. Telling myself that college life is a diversity place where people from all over the world coming into the university. People in different culture and different ethnicity are very common around the campus. I could also note to myself that the only way to find out how college life are, is to visit the campus in person. As well as, keep looking for scholarships. However, I did applied to a lot of scholarships during my senior year in high school. But, I haven't won single one of any scholarships so far. This is how I would give an advise to myself in as a high school senior, and someday I hope to finally have the opportunity to win.

Moesha

I would tell myself to be ready for last minute changes such as a test date or room number change. I would also tell myself to be more engaged with others in class and those who live around me. The change is very different going from being with people I have known for years since elementary school to knowing absolutely no one. It can be scary to talk to new people, but it can be worth it in the end.

christian

If I can go back in time to change things, I would have worked really hard in my senior year to get above 30 ACT to get a scholarship because right now, I am struggling financially to pay for college. I would have worked at least two jobs and saved enough money. I would have also prepare earlier by taking classes at a community college so I would not have to take so much credit in just a semester to become an engineer.

Jade

As a high school junior and senior i did not take the proper steps needed to get the most out of colleges money wise. I was so worried about going out of state to college and on athletics. I would go back and advise my past self that i need to apply to as many illinois schools as possible and that i shouldnt go to community college the first year to just dive into the college atmosphere as a freshman. I would also advise myself to go straight into the athletic training program as a freshman and not to waist time majoring in biology. I also would advise myself to get involved on campus to make your transition alot easier.

If going back in time to the time when I was a high school senior and be able to give myself advice when it comes to college after being through with my first year; I would tell my past self to work on scholarships and to not let stuff that happen get to you. The reasoning behind these pieces of advice is that when it came down to the tuition and overall cost of living in the dorms and going to a 4-year university the cost will continue to rise more and more. With completing scholarships some if not most of the money paid towards my tuition will be paid for and with my family financial problems to overcome that would have helped dearly. Going to the second piece of the advice when you let stuff get to you it can greatly hurt how you feel and being there living on your own. Not only that it can hurts those around you which I have had happen and I greatly wish I can go back to make sure it didn’t happen. That’s what I would tell myself if I can go back in time.

Ashleigh

If I could go back to that time in high school, I would tell myself to do the best I can academically. I also would tell myself to resist outside temptation and do what I need to do to graduate on time.

If I could go back to high school and talk to my self knowing what I know now I would tell myself that college isn't any joke. I would tell myself to get ready for a taste of the real world. There isn't going to be anymore of your parents picking up after you or taking care of your business, be prepared to be on your own . Before you go to college apply to as many scholarships as you can, even when you enter college keep on applying for scholarships. When you get in college join activity because it will make your college experience better. The transition will not be easy, but talk to your consolers, make friends, get to know your campus so you can start getting comfotable. There will be a lot of parties but don't get distracted and stay focus on your school work, because there will be parties everyday, seriously! Don't stress yourself out and everything will be okay. Goodluck!

Starting early on the college applications and making sure you don't wait until the last minute to get majority of the things done.

Nayelis

Nayelis, I know you have been doing well in school, and you have been preparing for this moment, but there is something I want to make you aware of. You will have more responsibilities, and this will be your test. Because not only doyou have the schoolto keep you, and guide you to the right direction, but the freedom might be overwhelmingly awesome. With that said Keep you thoughts, and goals in mind to move forward. Your dream to become The wealthiest, and most giving person can come true with hard work. It will not be easy. You will get tested. I want you to make a dream board, and keep thinking what you will have accomplished once you get that degree. Nothing great happened overnight so keep up that attitude of always wanting more. You are on the right track! Your dreams are yours to have. No one can take that away, but you. You can do it!

Dagmar

Never choose the considered "safe" school because you are scared of failing, but rather choose the school that challenges you, makes you strive for more and inspires even if its a tougher school.

Donovan

You shouldn't go into college assuming that you don't have academic options outside what you started out as. College is the time to really test what professional field you want to go into, so take your time exploring that before you prematurely set on a single path. Otherwise, you may find yourself not where you wanted to be halfway in, and lose so much progress switching to something else. Enjoy your time in college!

Giovanni

Don't worry so much about the future. Have a goal and accomplish it in the present. You can only affect what you are doing in the moment so don't concern yourself with things that happend or will happen that you have no control over. Stay focused and take advantage of every resource that is offered to you. Go into every situation with an open mind and don't close off information just because it doesn't apply to you at the moment. Life is easier when you are attetive in class. Eventually everything can be referenced or used to your benefit. Learn to take the negative things as learning opportunities. Sometimes things are going to go your way and sometimes things will be harder than you wanted them to be. Have a plan B, C, and D. College is a wealth of opportunity but you must take it upon yourself to explore the depth of that wealth. Stay involved, love, laugh, live, and dont let anything get in the way of you accomplishing your goals.

My one main regret from undergraduate school was not using all the resources that were available to me.; especially my academic advisor. I was always nervous or scared to approach her with my concerns, but looking back on it now, I should have sucked it up and went for it; that's what they are there for. Another regret, which I have told this to many high school students and undergraduate students, is DO AN INTERNSHIP if you get the opportunity. Internships were not required for my degree so I said ehhh I am going to take the easy road out....NOT A GOOD IDEA. Internships provide great experiences and look great on applications.

I would have told myself to volunteer more and get more involved in the community. I also would have told myself to take more college credit classes so I could be ahead when I got to college. Another thing I would have told myself would be to begin talking to some people through facebook before attending college to meet new friends.

Here is a list of what I would say to myself. 1: Start exercising again. It only gets harder. 2: Stop worrying about grades. The worrying only made it worse. Trust me. 3: Quit that lousy minimum wage job, it's not worth it. 4: Stop accepting mediocrity. You'll never get ahead. 5: Stop letting people walk all over you. You'll never get ahead that way. 6: Do not take communications as a major. It is useless. Take Law right away. 7: Stop trying to impress everyone. 8: Money, money, money. It's all that matters. I mean, that's why you're doing all this. If you have the opportunity to make more, do it. Don't be stuck in a slump like me. 9: Spend every moment of your time trying to better yourself financially and physically. 10: Don't go to a community college. It may be financially acceptable but it's miserable.

asante

Well, you made it. Sometimes you doubted yourself and your abilities, but here you are. Don’t be nervous about what comes next. For one, enjoy this period of relaxation, because for the next four months you’re going to be busy. Brush up on your chemistry while you’re at it because all the stuff we learned in our sophomore year will come back to bite us in the butt and give us rabies in the process. On that note, study once you’re in school, we’ll make good friends but studies should always come first. You’ll pass all you classes but you can always do better. With that being said, don’t be too hard on yourself. We’ll do well and have all the fun in the world in the process. Hmmm….. What else. Oh yeah when you meet a guy from your chemistry class on the bus, get to know him, you won’t regret it, and skip meeting Carlo and Skylar, don’t question just trust me. Well . . . that’s all I can really say. Remember what I said and don’t be an idiot, especially with our money.

Sharron

If I could go back in time, I would surely tell myself to stay focused on my education and not let the independence distract me. I was never a real partier but in college the new and exciting adventures allowed me to explore new things. College is a time for fun, learning, searching and growth. I did all of it but at the expense of the best educational experience I could have received. I would tell my self to focus on school, find a balance that works and enjoy the time. It was memorable and it prepared me for the real world. I would tell myself to keep in mind why I came to college and not let others get in the way. Set goals and go for them. There is a time and place for everything.

Chose a major that you'll enjoy, not one that's only based on money. Enjoy your college experience because you only live through it once. Make friends, meet new people. and enjoy being young. Don't take that semester off school to decide what you want to do, start planning earlier. Work hard and dedicate yourself to your school work right away.

DEJA

Senior Deja, Look for scholarships, work, prepare yourself for a wild transition, save money and try not to get destracted.

Hey boy, I have been looking for you. When I was your age I was more punk than man, I thought high school was that grade school joke, "to get to the other side." Now when you get out you will find it is like when you ran away from home, the reason you did not make it is you had no place to go, why you never made it, no objective. Same for college. College is not an extension of high school, they do not care how far you run the ball, your last name or Daddy's bank account. You must have an objective, some place you want to be and will do whatever it takes to get there. The two big college lessons are; do your homework and get it in on time. Same for life. You have to do more than show up, be ready to spend three, four hours outside the classroom for every hour in it. You want one hundred percent of your objective, be ready to do one hunderd and fity percent to get eighty. You want more, give more, do more and if not satisfied, then do again and do it better.

Jerrod

Oh Jerrod, my do I have advice for you. College isn't anything like high school, so don't go in taking it easy. College summer courses cost hundreds of dollars that you don't have. Another thing is that the professors are there to help you so don't be afraid to ask. I know that you want to be "Mr. Independent" but it doesn't hurt to ask from time to time. Oh, and don’t forget to APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS THIS SUMMER!! You don't know this yet but our mom is going to be laid off and we are barely going to be able to pay for this first year and quite honestly, you can avoid it all if you get some scholarships. You also need to network with as many people as you can because in the end they can help you get you where you need to be after you graduate, trust me. My last bit of advice for you is not to forget your overall goal to help your community. The parties may be fun and the work may be hard, but don't forget about your neighborhood, they need you. Have Fun.

There are people out there who want to help you so never be afraid or embarassed to ask for help. Study hard and keep a positive attitude.

If I could go back and give advice to my high school self I would tell myself to listen a little more closely to the information offered about college. I would tell myself to take the time to look at my options for college. I would tell myself to look at how I could pay for my college education. I would tell myself to look into scholarships. I would suggest that I think about what I really want to do with my life, not just take classes because my friends are taking those classes. I would suggest that I ask myself some simple questions like do you like working outside? Do you like working outside in all kinds of weather? Do you see yourself sitting at a desk all day? Do you like working with people? I would definitely suggest visiting any colleges that offer the classes that interest me. If possible maybe talk to some of the students that go there.

I do not think I spent enough time researching my career interests. I would tell myself to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and research different careers. I would utilize my high school guidance counselor more to help in my research. Also, I would say to take more college visits and explore my options at different colleges. This way, I could learn about different opportunities to develop the skills needed for a job in that industry. If I was more informed about the differences in my colleges of interest, I would have picked a college that better suited my academic needs. Since I did not receive any athletic or academic scholarships, I would tell myself to apply for several private scholarships during high school. I regret not applying for scholarships while in high school. Now, I have several student loans, housing, dining, and books that could have been be payed for by scholarships. Lastly, I do not think the minimal reading I did for my high school classes was enough to prepare me for college texts. So, I would tell myself to read more books and magazine articles in my free time during high school to help develop this skill.

As I recollect on my experience in college there is so much that I would love to communicate to my high school self. Considering the fact that I would like to pursue a career as a high school guidance counselor I plan to devote myself to assisting students. Being a mentor to myself would be a life changing experience for me. I would reassure myself that I made the right decision and that attending Northern Illinois University was a good path for me. I would stress the importance of getting involved early and establishing a solid GPA. I entered the university undecided which turned out to be a promising move for me. I had the ability to explore different majors and find what I truly have a passion for. Thus I found myself in the college of Liberal Arts and Sciences pursuing a BA in Sociology. I would also tell my high school self not to be afraid or discouraged during this transitioning stage. Explaining the procedures when filling out a FASFA, applying for grants and loans as well as registering for classes can be an overwhelming process. However with proper guidance it can be as stress free as possible.

ashley

I woud tell not only myself but others i know that are going to college to just stay focus. No matter how hard it starts to get just keep your head in the game it will all be worth it in the end. Don't start missing class or nothing make everyday count.

Jorge

Seeing myself as a senior high school student and knowing about the college life. My advice I would give to myself would be don't wait years to go back to school. Once you graduate high school, start looking into colleges or universities that you might be interested in. There's is no successful future for you if you don't have any type of degree. You have so many oppertunities that can help change your life. There are so many chances and choices you can make so there shouldn't be no excuse for you not further your education. Be smart and do whatever you can to suceed.

Abby

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give students alot of information that I did not get as a high school senior. I would tell them to get all of their college necessities such as applications, college essays, and financial aid information done early. I would tell them to think about what school they would think they would be the most happy at. Money aside, where could you see yourself starting the next four years of your life? Don't settle for a cheap college just because it will give you less loans. Overall, your academic performance really does become affected by your level of happiness. You are not going to perfom well at an institution that you are not happy at. I would stress to kids to make sure they attend their institution's orientation day. Visit the college as much a possible before your committ to really get a sense if it is going to be the right fit. The most important thing you can do while attending college is to get involved. It is so much easier to make friends if your involved. Good luck!

Valeata

I never anticipated on all of the issues I'd experience as a college student, but If I could go back in time to myself as a high school senior, I would give Valeata much needed advice. First thing I would tell myself is everything that glitters is not gold. Just because something looks inticing, doesnt mean it is. I would tell myself that there will be obstacles I will face, but if I trust in God and myself at all times, things will get better. I'd tell myself that people will make you angry,but the right choice is to not act on anger but instead, act on forgiveness and love. When you forgive others, sometimes that makes them want to positively change. I would tell myself to always have the armor of God around me, because without it,I'm weak. I'd tell myself is to always be me. No matter what others do or say, I have to stand my ground and stay strong and remember why I came here. I would remind myself that most times,the people with the most victories in the end had to deal with much hardships in the beginning.

Khalia

As a college student i would tell high school me to pay more attention. When you have an assignment take time to really understand what your doing. As a college student i am really struggling because i barely paid attention to what was happening in school. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Try and strive for the valedictorian spot. Don't just get by because you can. Soak up as much information you can. Really pay attention in math because i guarantee you it will come back to haunt you. Take summer classes to get you prepared for what's coming your way. I really want you to try as hard as you possibly can because future you is having the hardest time in collegebecause she didn't pay enough attention in high school. Talk to your counselors or teachers about college do whatever you can to get as much knowledge as possible.

If I could go back and tell myself what I know now, it would be to stop procrastinating so much and to live life a little more. There is so much more to life than what I had known back then. I would appreciate the little things in life and not worry so much about what people thought. I would have also taken high school a lot more seriously. I'd tell myself that I do not know everything, that there is so much more for me to learn.

Ariel

The first thing I would tell myself is to not underestimate my abilities: just because you were in the 80th percentile in math in high school, doesn't mean that you still will be in community college. Of course, the experiences I had in that low level math class were amusing, but I was bored out of my mind. The second thing I would tell myself would be that it'll be tough to have no friends, but in my second semester, I'll meet someone amazing. I should try my best not to push him away. Then, I would tell myself not to take intro to Japanese until my second year: in that class, I met several great people and one of them is now a very close friend of mine. I'll tell myself that that friend introduces me to a wonderful series that will define my relationship with my dorm friends once I transition to Northern Illinois University. I would also tell myself to look for scholarships as much as I can, even if community college is relatively cheap (I would scare myself into doing so my telling me how much money I currently owe).

Looking back, I would choose to convince my high school self to explore everything and not give up. When I went to community college, I took the easy route and stopped working as hard as I should have. I didn't do the research I should have to help me make major decisions about my future. I would have told myself to try everything I could possibly consider an interest in and keep working as hard as I could.

Jade

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would definitely tell myself to focus, study more, learn to take better notes and take school more seriously. College life is a lot tougher then high school, in high school there was always a teacher on your back and genuinely interested in helping you succeed. In college you have to do everything yourself, even though there are tutors half of the time they are students who know little about the subject. The teachers are there for help but half of the time they don't know you on an individual level and they aren't very patient. I really took high school for granted and now I realize how nice it was to have someone who actually knew you, support you through academics as well.

Don't worry about college so much. It's just another hoop the world makes you jump through to get where you want to go. Just go with whatever comes your way.

Sandra

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would let myself know that going to a community college to get basic classes out of the way before transfering to Northern was a very good choice. I would also tell myself that it is not as scarry as I thought and that while I did spend a lot of time doing homework and studying, I would meet many different people, some good, some bad, and some that would become lifelong friends. While I would tell myself to loosen up a little but, I would also advise myself to really take the time to apply myself since I didn't do that much in high school. To not be happy with an "average" GPA and to expect the best of myself instead of getting down and backing away when things got rough. To just be myself and not be scared of what others will think of me.

Kristy

The first thing I would tell myself to get more work experience during the high school years. I did not work as a high school student, so it was very rough for me to learn time management skills in balancing a job and school at the same time. I also feel this would have built my confidence level in the work place. I was very unsure of myself when I first came into college and really feel that having a job during high school would have helped ease me into the amount of reponsibility I was thrown into during college. I would also tell myself to get more involved and take advantage of all of the networking options that colleges provide. I was not very involved in extracurricular activities during high school. I felt I needed to devote my time to getting As in all of my classes that I did not take the time to pursue my personal interests and passions. I went into college with the same mindset and really wish I had taken the time to join clubs, play sports, etc., to network with people and boost my social confidence. I would tell myself to enjoy life!

Meranda

Meranda you are going to make some unfortunate decisions personally but they will lead you to now and now is a really great place. However, save money! Dad is going to become very ill and will lose his job and will not be able to help financially. So if there is one thing I would advise it would be to open a savings account and don't touch it.

Miesha

You need to be more focused and a lot less hateful to those who wanted to help you. You might think foster kids get nothing in life but little do you know you got a whole more than those with a good home. And when you say " I am never going to do this" or I am not going to college" little do you know you happier than you have been in years. And stay away from the negative things ypur doing it just holds you back. And you will clean and sober after high school and again happy. Monica Jeanine and Vernon are the people you need to trust and trust yourself more never 2nd guess yourself when you know something is write and wrong. And STOP BEING SOO LAZY AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! It for you not them. And you find out you are allergic to brussel spouts in college so do not eat them.

Colleen

If I were able to speak with the 18 year-old me there would be many topics of discussion I would be eager to bring up to make the transition into college and in turn out of college much easier. But most importantly, I would elaborate on the importance of asserting oneself to formulate a quality education plan. This goes beyond registering for classes and studying. I would encourage myself to sit down and really ponder what I hoped to achieve as an end result of my education. Once I completed that task I would be sure to establish goals based on this information. With the goals in mind I would begin to seek advice and options of professionals, professors, and other worthy individuals on how they would best accomplish these goals. I would remind my 18 year-old self she does not know everything and the opinions of experienced individuals would serve as a useful tools in achieving these goals. With the newfound advice I would direct myself to put a plan in place on how to best achieve the wonderful dreams she has for herself and remind her continually self-assess to ensure each step is completed.

Shanna

I would say listen to the advice your High School Counselors give you about college. Take your time going through the brochures and touring campus to make sure you pick the right college for you. Make sure you feel comfortable in the atmosphere at the school and most importantly, you need to see yourself attending that specific college you choose. Shanna, pick a major that you can see yourself succeeding at and make sure it is one that you will enjoy. The major you choose to study should be something you are passionate about; you will be willing to succeed if you are passionate and really like what your studying. The most important advice I can give you as a high school senoir is to be yourself in everything that you do in college. If you are yourself, then you are sure to succeed in whatever you choose to do.

I am currently twenty one years old now and have gone through many experiences. I know I am very different than I was four years ago and honestly; I like myself a lot more now. If I could somehow go back and talk to my previous self around high school time, I would have a lot to say. Such as: Everything you are going through now is going to make you a much better and stronger person, do not be afraid to make mistakes because they are the moments that most define you, and to take more pride in yourself. I have learned that through hardships, new experiences, new friends, and that challenging yourself pushes you to limits you did not even know you had. I have also learned that every choice in life has a consequence and that you live with your choices. But it is about accepting your faults that truly make and define you as an individual. My most important words to myself would: be to be true to myself first and foremost because things change, it is inevitable. People come and go, rules change; but if you remain true, everything will be fine.

I would let my high school self know that college is not as scary as you think and if you just applied yourself, even a little bit, you could do well. The transition is much easier when you are young and attending school with your peers and just do it and get it over with before life gets in the way. It is much easier to pay for school if your parents are helping you out, if you don't have a home, kids, and husband to care for. Have fun with school and take advantage of all of the opportunities available to you, but remember the bigger picture...there is a whole lifetime ahead of you and this moment is fleeting. Study hard when needed because the payoff in the end will be worth it!