Northern Illinois University Top Questions

The most frustrating thing about my school is the limited parking. It is hard to get to class on time when there are never any spots.

There was a lack of parking by classes for general education.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the sepertion between races. I say this because every race sticks together, no one tries to hang out with a different race and it they do they are talked about. For an example if a black girl is seen hanging around a group of white people, people are going to start calling her white. This is something that i think needs to be changed about my school.

The class sizes were too large; more small group time with instruction.

ashley

For me the most frustrating thing about my school is the tution. It may take a while to pay off but they reason with you, but the finicial aid office also put you through a lot just to get your finicial aid.

Pauline

The most frustrating thing about attending this school is havign to deal with some financial issues here and ther, but also our safety is a little more encouraged due to the higher crime rate in this institution.

I would have to say that I was most frustrated with the changes I went through regarding my financial aid situation. Between my freshman and junior year, I had to go through a lot of confusing paperwork and changes that often took my focus away from schoolwork because I was afraid that I would have to leave school due to payment issues. However, I was eventually able to ask the necessary questions and get my finances in order.

When I came to Northern Illinois University, I saw all the different activities, clubs, programs, and events to get involved in. I wanted to do them all! For me, a current Sophomore, it is frustrating at times when I realize that there simply aren't enough hours in a day to do all of the things I wish I could. I love being involved with my school because it gives me a purpose and a responsibility for something that matters. It also gives me the opportunity to utilize my abilities in the best way possible! I love NIU!

Nothing at my school is frustrating. I like Northern a lot. I am a freshman and so far everything is going quite well.

Paulina

That it is really hard to get scholarships even if you have straight A's and are involved in extracurricular activities.

The academic advisors do not assist much in choosing classes and helping to figure out classes for your major.

On-campus parking

Summer

Professors and advisors did not appropriatly explain how competitve the field was until the end of Junior year. By then many of us were not able to finish projects that would help us to stand out in our field. Also, the director of my program discouraged me from applying to internships due to my lack of experience.

The most frustrating aspect of Northern Illinois University is the lack of assistance I recieve from the advisors. When I call with a question for one office, I will get bounced to a few other offices, and oftentimes I will not get an answer. It just seems as though many people I speak with do not know how to help me when their job is to help the students.

LaToya

The most frustrating thing about my school is the wether. It is VERY cold in the winter time. It snows alot down here and the wind is terrible. I don't care how warm i dress, it still seems to be very, very cold.

Having to pay extra charges for school building maintainance for buildings I don't even go to. Extra fees for other school facilities.

Keri

Finding parking on the street when i come home from work. The streets are always lined with cars for parties on weekends and there is never any parking in the lot for my apartment.

There are not a lot of things that frustrate me, but if I had to choose I would have to say someof the teachers. Some teacher wil just throw work at you and expect you to know how to do it. It is the teacher job to teach the material and I just expect them to do their job.

The most frustrating thing about NIU is the weather. It gets extremely cold in DeKalb in the winter and walking around NIU's big campus in below freezing temperatures can be quite annoying. It also snows alot and that combined with freezing temperatures causes there to be alot of ice on the sidewalks so you have to be extremely careful and the buses that go to the classroom buildings are very crowded.

Lack of communication between advisors and students.

My school is a place for people who are interested in getting their degrees and getting out into the world. The problem is that a lot of the people who come here are not serious. A lot of the freshmen never return, because they do not think it is worth the money or they fail out. It seems like the path to get to the library is littered with students who are distracting. They are throwing their education away, and they want to get me to do it too.

Shaneka

one of the beginner classes..way to hard for any person just taking it. The teachers tell the students in this class that everyone usually gets a d or an f in the course.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the weather. Living in Illinois is always difficult because you never know what tomorrow holds. In Dekalb you are surrounded by corn fields, so in the winter it is very cold because there is nothing to block the cold wind when you are walking to class.

Princess

On some weekends there is nothing to do. Most parties or school events happen through the weekday so you can't really go because you have to study. The limited space for classes and the amount of people they take in for a major program.

chris

very few teachers seem to care about students success, lots of students dont seem to care if they fail. there is not alot of career oppurtunities or resources

MaxKenzy

I can't afford to do anything.

Definitely the ability to understand professors with accents. I have come across a lot of them. Also, the weather during the winter can be very frustrating.

Amberlyn

The cold winter months... it gets really cold in Dekalb.

Sandi

Financial aid.

the most frustrating thing about my school is studying for tests

Getting around campus. It is a big campus and the buildings are spread out. Luckily there are many busses that run frequently, but not always on time. Winters don't make getting around any easier. There are many commuters and parking is usually limited. Traffic can be bad during peak times.

aya

Well Very boring on weekends only thing you can do is parting, that it