Northern Illinois University

« See more reviews of Northern Illinois University

The best thing about Northern Illinois University is all the opportunities the students are given. There is such a variety of organizations, clubs, leadership positions and jobs. Students are always encouraged to be involved and let their voices be heard. Every club and organization that I am in, is student run and student based which means each member gets every opportunity to make the most of their college experience through involvement. Northern Illinois University thrives off of student career success, and the importance of students finding jobs after they graduate. Overall NIU gives students the opportunity of choice.

The best thing about this school is the pre-medical advisor Dr. Gasser. Dr. Gasser has been the most helpful member of the school throughout all my years in attendance; he is very straightforward, hard working, and dedicated to ensuring the success of students. His demeanor combined with his knowledge makes him extremely approachable. Any issue that has or will arise can be fixed through interaction with Dr. Gasser; he completes tasks in a timely manner with the utmost quality. I have had to interact with numerous faculty members throughout attendance and none have compared to Dr. Gasser.

The best thing about NIU is resources and people. They have a wide variety of resources. I like NIU's Family Social Work department, people from that department helped me to find internship in my field of Social work/Gerontology. I like the most NIU's stuff members. They are nice and helpfull. Each faculty member always helped me quickly, directly and with the most knowledge posiable. I think because NIU is rooted in rural area of Illinois, people there are friendly and helpful. I feel like home eventhough I am Europian.

I believe that the amount of help in the school is amazing. Whether I am seeking financial, academic, personal or extra-curricular help, there is always someone there to help. There are offices with personel of all kinds. The campus has a place for anything I need including several tutoring center spread out throughout the campus, we can go to a psychologist for free if needed, there are different buildings for ethnic groups like the Latino Resource Center, and many other ways of getting the help and suppoert I may need.

I think the best things about this school are the many opprtunities and the help we benefit from. When I first scheduling my classes for my first year, I was able to be put into a program where I would be taking all the same classes with students who are similar to my intended major studies. Also, the friends i have made here are exceptionally great. I know that I can trust them with anything and if I needed any help or issues to solve I even have the benefit to see someone.

The best thing I would consider about my school is the CHANCE Program. This program gives students who did not meet the university's requirements a chance to come to college and prove to others and to themselves that they can make it through college without having the highest ACT score or GPA. In my opinion I think this is a wonderful program because it gives students opportunities and opens doors some students thought would never have opened for them again.

I think the best thing about Northern Illinois is how much the instuctors get involved in their own lessons. Many of the professors that I have had so far actually care about how well you do. I had a 100 student lecture, by the first exam the professor already knew most of our names and offered extra help for those of us that didn't get the best grade. One has to realize that that isn't the only lecture he has a day either. It amazed me!

I consider the size of the school and the friendly community to be the best aspects. The campus is somewhat large and spread out however the student body itself is actually very friendly and helpful to one another. You could be sitting randomly and strike up a conversation with almost anybody. Most people have a friendly aura and don't mind having a conversation. You never know who you might meet and who will become a good friend.

This past academic year has taught me that the best thing about Northern Illinois University is our community. We act as if we are a small town. We come together when tragic things happen, and we embrace eachother. We are one united campus that stands strong during the good times and the bad, we wear our Huskie pride on our sleeves, and we carry it in our hearts. We are the Northern Illinois University Huskies!

The best thing about Northern Illinois University is how the campus is so family-oriented. I really felt like I was a part of a second family while I was at Northern. They really make you feel welcome when you arrive. There are a ton of people who are there to support you and help you with the transition to college. There are also a ton of resources available to make college life so much easier.