Northern Illinois University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern Illinois University

Rashad

LOVE IT!

Aside from the fact that there are safety bulletins somewhat frequently, this school is still nice overall. I realize there will be crime no matter where you choose to go to school. Northern Illinois University is very accessible whether by car, bike, or walking because almost anything you need or want to do is within walking distance and not hard to get to. Parking is definitely a problem on campus with students unable to find parking and often being late to class, which is why I have realized it is best to figure out and use the buses because they are free to use with your tuition. Most of the buildings are nice besides that sometimes they struggle to figure out how to use the heat and air conditioning. The size of the classes I have been in are very reasonable and good for learning. I have been led astray by faculty before as to courses I needed to take but actually didn't need, or classes I needed to take but was informed I did not need. Overall, I enjoy going to NIU because there's a lot to do and I feel like I am doing the best for myself by getting an education here while also being involved in a sorority and being on the Cheerleading team. I would recommend this school to anyone who can tolerate the cold Illinois winters.

Kristen

NIU is a pretty decent school overall, especially for the price. The theatre program is much better than you would expect, despite us not having an official building yet because of renovations. The food here is decent and if you're into parties, you can easily find them. The facilities here are overall pretty good as well.

April

This is a great school! But when I try to contact the different office they aren't very good at getting back to me or even answering my questions. They can sometimes be very helpful but other times its very frustrating. The campus is a beautiful campus don't get me wrong there. But what frustrates me is that the school isn't very good at getting back to students when they call. And they also don't have scholarships for people who aren't majoring in Business, and Early Childhood.

Cashmir

This is a pretty great school. Some of the classes are difficult, but there are some professors who actually care about their students. I really enjoy their events, especially their anime conventions. The dorms are kind of frustrating. If you choose the cheapest one, Neptune, you won't get any air conditioning during the hot days. In the winter, despite having a heater, it will not be enough. It heard it's better in the other buildings, but it's expensive.

My overall experience of Northern Illinois University has exceeded my expectation and makes me relieved that I am attending a school with so much to offer. The campus has a well-rounded community which can enhance the college experience. There are always things to do and clubs to join on campus. The atmosphere of Northern Illinois University is fun, humble, and determined to excel in academics.

Leah

NIU is a school that really makes an effort to try and give the students what they need, but are limited much of the time due to a lack of a budget. I am an acting major here, and there isn't much support for the arts, but there are a ton of different clubs and activities to join. This includes Greek life, which is very popular here. When you aren't out making friends at different events on campus, you will find that the housing options can be quite nice as well (as long as you stay out of Neptune). In regards to classes, I love the program I am in. There are a few very good programs here, such as nursing, business, education, and acting. However, the "gen eds" can be really hit or miss. Some teachers really care, others don't. Using a resource such as ratemyteacher.com can be a great way to make sure that you always get classes that you enjoy. When you aren't studying, there are a lot of different parties to go to, as drinking is a big thing here. Because of this, you would think safety would be a major concern. However, I have found that as long as I make sure I am with a group of people that I can trust, I have had no problems. Overall, I think Northern is a really great option for someone who is going into one of the programs I mentioned above, or who is looking for a classic "college experience". Go Huskies!

Chloe

like it

Claudia

NIU is a overall decent university. For down time, there is always something to do. The organizations are always involved in something but sometimes don't even others. Academic-wise, it could be better. The professors could be better, but of course all students say that. But when comparing to other universities or junior colleges, the professors could be better.

Emma

NIU is a great hidden gem amongst Illinois schools. It can be a great home to many and offers great academics alongside field experience and extracurricular opportunities to expand beyond your comfort zone. There are places where NIU could improve, but overall it is a great school across the board and has something for everyone.

I think it's a great university overall and I wake up every single day proud to be a huskie.

Jade

Northern Illinois University is a school that provides countless of resources. Like many other schools, there are parties, but it is mainly on the weekends. Multiple places to study and focus. The bus systems helps with transportation both weekdays and weekends. You are never left wondering if you will be stranded. Overall a great school with great resources.

Rio

I love Northern. Everyone is so friendly and it's easy to walk up to others. Very politically active and is very much a free space to be the uncensored version of yourself. Northern is a wonderful place to not only grow academically, but personally as well.

Shelby

Northern Illinois isn't the most well known school. It's in a small town in the middle of farm fields. However, in my experience NIU is what you make of it. I personally have found a great group of friends, supportive teachers, and a community in which i truly feel at home.

Niko

Beautiful campus. Lots to do. Making many friends. Enjoy my time in my Business courses. Professors are very knowledgeable. My room is nice, comes with a lot of stuff. These next 2 years are going to be great. Great sports college. Hope to go to many games. GO HUSKIES!

Bria

It’s a good school but could stand a few improvements. For one the dinning hall food is awful and the menu needs a complete revamp. They also need better hours because they close around 8pm and on weekends and I work till 9pm most days so I spent a good portion of money on fast food due to crappy unavailable dining hall food. On top of that we still have to pay for a meal plan even if we never use the dining hall so I’m essentially buying food 3x. Once from the meal plan, 2nd from fast food restaurants and third from whatever little snacks I can fit in my mini fridge shared by my other roommate. Also they should have a better variety of restaurants around campus because eating the same thing is annoying.

I'm glad I decided to come here. I would definitely recommend. I am a graduate student and my program has been perfect for me. I'm able to tailor it to my career goals to prepare me for graduation. My advisor is very helpful and always available for when I need help. I enjoy coming here and can't wait to by an alumnus.

Maria

Northern Illinois University is strongly dedicated to the future success of its students. The university provides many resources to help students grow as scholars and individuals inside and outside the classroom. From my own experience, I can state that professors are well-qualified and passionate about the subjects they teach. They challenge students to understand not only the class material, but also to connect the information they learn to society, culture, current events, politics, etc. NIU offers many opportunities and resources for students' career development paths, including internship/job fairs, networking events, career counseling, and resume reviews. NIU also offers many different majors, minors, and certificates which all give incoming students a chance to explore their interests and find the right program for them. NIU strongly advocates for student involvement whether it be fraternities, sororities, sports, musical ensembles, or student governmental boards to name a few of the hundred student groups on campus. NIU is not perfect, but I would still recommend it to any incoming student.

Kyle

Northern Illinois University has potential to become one of the best schools but it all depends on the students and faculty. Those who excel in student involvement really show what NIU is really about. To make the best out of this school, get involved. Join clubs and/or fraternities or sororities will prove helpful.

Trenaye

I have a great feeling of NIU campus. I have several family members who attend or has graduated from the school. NIU campus is not too far from my family in case of emergency. The campus is large and looks great to me. NIU is the college I want to attend.

Kaleigh

Overall Northern Illinois University is adequate for academics and is a local and practical choice for students who wish to commute or live on campus. Personally, Northern Illinois has not presented itself as a challenging institution and it's structuring could use some updating and some revising. The campus is very outdated and can be unsafe to walk around. Most of the professors seem to be good at the various subjects, and if you could get through a community college setting you can get through Northern Illinois. Like any university, there are required course loads that many students do not understand the need for; especially in relation to their chosen major.

Britany

Northern Illinois University is very diverse with many students willing to learn and to help others. I haven't met a mean professor or heard of many. I love it here, the campus is beautiful and it's a great place to be around. People are always asking for help or making new friends. The food isn't the best but its alright. Great vibe and people!

Kacie

Northern Illinois University is a great school. there are many activities that anybody can participate in, besides the Greek life. The food is good. Each dining hall tries to switch up their menu so everyone can have variety to choose from. The teachers are always available, you just have take the time to reach out to seek help.

Kelly

Great school that is committed to their students and making sure everyone has enough resources to learn and succeed in the intended major. There are plenty of ways to get involved with the school while you are not in class, as well.

Jemea

I think it is okay. I feel as though I don't really know anything that is going on. I feel as if the advisors don't really connect with you. I don't know if I am supposed to pick my classes for next semester out on my own, or if I am supposed to get help. Everything is really kind of frustrating and it is getting to me.

Skylar

It's alright. It's basically the adult version of high school, but with less drama. The students like to party, get wild for the football games. Not much intellectual conversation...unless you're chatting with a professor. Doesn't seem like there are many artsy types, but they aren't uncommon. Not everybody joins a frat or sorority, but lots do.

Dijaunna

I love Northern Illinois University, the faculty at Northern are very helpful with meeting and helping you in and out the classrooms, the campus life is amazing because your able to feel safe in a nice environments, Most students are very committed in the universities sports, organization and groups. Northern steer students into the right path to proceed through college.

Joseph

My overall opinion of Northern Illinois University is that it is an engaging community designed to help the student succeed in the career that they may choose. Everyone here is always positive and willing to go out of their way to help you out. Studies and Social life are a big deal on the NIU campus, not only do they want to succeed in college they want you to have fun as well, and enjoy you college years. Overall i high recommend Northern Illinois University to anyone that wants to attend a great nurturing community for all those who attend.

Jana

Northern Illinois University is overall a pretty good school. I really enjoy the activities and events. I also thing the academic part is really great as well. For my career choice I really think its the best choice for me. It really works out well for me.

Burtrell

I think that Northern Illinois University is a great school all around. I feel welcomed and feel like I fit in with the campus life. Students and faculty are very friendly. I am planning on attending Northern Illinois University this fall. There is a lot to do during free time and you're always busy.

Chloe

It is a pretty good school. However, safety is questionable at night and some professors are better than others. However, NIU is broke. We don't even have money to fix the clocks in Gabel Hall and are forced to use a middle school auditorium for performances because they keep putting off the construction of a theater.

Vanessa

Northern Illinois University was my first pick when I decided to transfer to a 4 year school. The campus is not too big or too small, the professors are great, and I knew I would make great friends there. I commute to school everyday and the drive is not too bad. Being a student there has been such a great experience.

Patricia

I am a second graduate degree seeking student, I am changing my career to early childhood special ed and NIU was my top choice. I work full time, am a mom of 2 and my professors are very helpful and considerate to my time issues. I can get a hold of them easily and they are very helpful. I only wish my academic advisor was more helpful... I'm learning the hard way that I need to be more proactive in learning the state standards and preparing myself

Tomasz

NIU is a poor quality college. It is located next to the projects so there is a huge gang and drug presence around campus. Many students who live on campus go home on the weekends and many more just commute. If you don't join a Greek organization, your going to be miserable here. I didn't join one and after one year I left the college.

Akeriel

I like Northern Illinois. It has a lot of resources for students whether personal, or academically. My experience with the professors have been good so far. I haven't had a professor who didn't like engaging with their students. This is my second semester here at NIU. I like the size of the campus and the free buses for transportation around campus. They are very helpful.

Manthy

Northern Illinois University is a lively college with s lot of student interaction and engagement. Professors and instructors take a genuine interest in the success of students, and make classes interesting and fun. The one issue I have is with advising - had I been given more thorough information, I'd have made slightly different decisions that would have made my college experience easier and less expensive.

salman

Northern illinois is a great school. There are plenty of activities around campus to you feel like your home. As far as I am concerned it is a safe community. I have never felt in danger around campus. The faculty are supportive and friendly to everyone around campus.

I feel that NIU is a great place to get an education. You can learn a lot inside and outside of the classroom. There are many opportunities here for clubs, internships, and on campus jobs. If you really are serious about getting involved it is pretty easy to do once you find a group of people you share interest with. There are many clubs to join and many events to attend to see all the clubs on campus.

NIU is a home nearby home that emphasizes communiversity. There are many opportunities for students to get involved and feel connected. The connection piece was of particular importance to me because I didn't want to feel lost in a sea of students. On a campus of about 15,000 students, it's surprisingly easy to bump into a familiar and friendly face everywhere you go. This feeling extends in the classroom with small class sizes and supportive faculty. The campus promotes communiversity, or a community within a university. There are many resource centers on campus where students are able to find a place they can connect with and find a support network to aid in their success. The campus also has many safety features, like an off duty officer available to personally escort you around campus. The reason I give NIU four stars instead of five is because the campus proximity to Chicago and its suburbs is a catch 22. The close proximity to home for many students is a comfort, but it's equally challenging and tempting for students to commute or go home on the weekends inhibiting the communiversity experience. I think the university could put more time and energy in engaging and connecting commuter students. Despite the challenges associated with commuting, however, Huskies are a united student body and students of all kind will feel welcome at NIU.

Ryan

NIU is a great school with a great business program. Like everything in life; you get what you put in. I feel very comfortable approaching my teachers with questions or problems even if the class takes place in an auditorium. Being a public university, some classes are large but I can tell that my professors care about my education and recognize my hard work.

Michelle

Northern Illinois University is a good college to attend. The people that go here are all kind, and the professors are always willing to help. for example, if their office hours don't work for you, you can always schedule an appointment with them. The newer dorms are great, and they are starting to remodel the older buildings as well. Many students enjoy the multiple food options that are available next to campus and the unlimited meal plan that comes with housing is a great plus. There is not a lot to do on the weekends, but there are things like bowling and shopping places to go to.

Nick

northern Illinois University was a great choice for me. Can't think k if any other college that I would go to. I ove it here. There is always something to do in campus, either if that he academics of socially, this school is the best. This is a great school, helps students like me everyday .

C'Erra

Overall I enjoy it. It's very big and usually pretty quiet on campus. I enjoy the academic part of it, and it is taken very serious. The way some dorms are make people feel more safe and comfortable. Some are keypad accessible only so I really enjoy it.

Danielle

What first brought me to the Northern Illinois University's Master's in Art Education program was a direct recommendation from an old professor at a different university (even over their own program!), however now that I am here I truly know there's nowhere else I'd rather be for this profession. For the edTPA test we are required to take for licensure, Illinois is one of the highest ranking states in the country, with Northern Illinois University ranking the highest in the state. Not just by a little but by about 20 points on average, with multiple students achieving scores 40 points higher! I have courses with some of the top intellectuals in my field as well as access to their many connections and the structure of the courses build on each other in a way that reinforces knowledge and strengthens skills. Hands in clinical hours help to build confidence and gain experience before tackling student teaching. I could not ask for a better program to be a part of.

Timothy

Huge commuter school. If you do live there, there isn't much to do, the biggest attraction is their walmart. TONS of people join greek life because it's really the only thing that'll get you through the time out there. Academics are great, especially for education majors, professors are beyond helpful and want you to succeed.

shireen

Great university for any field especially business and accounting. The professors are nice and so helpful. The university encourages all students and make them confident to do something in their lives. I always wanted to go to northern Illinois university and many of the people graduated from this university have achieved their goals and were successful in their lives.

Pablo

NIU is a great school that everyone will enjoy. There is a tranquil atmosphere all over campus. The students and staff are great people. The only thing the school should do is include more extra curriculum activities so that students can get involved.

Jazlyn

Overall, Northern Illinois University is a good school all round. Meaning, that academically NIU is a good school. Professors are always looking out to help students, they always answer emails, and they have regular office hours. Plus, academic advising is offered to all students with or without a major. NIU also offers many extracurricular clubs and sports. They have clubs that organize schools events, they have sports clubs, and they have many other clubs. Plus, Greek life is very important , and the Greeks are always looking to education others on Greek Life. Finally, NIU host many fun events for students such as homecoming.

I love being a student here, and I felt comfortable here the moment I stepped onto the campus. I have walked at night by myself and nothing has yet to happen to me because there is always someone to walk near. There are also plenty of resources on campus for if you do not feel comfortable being by yourself. Overall I believe it is an amazing campus and it is campus that is welcoming as well.

Cynthia

My overall opinion about NIU is that this campus is quite diverse. Everyone is friendly and very friendly. It feels normal to be away at home since this campus is really united. I love NIU and I am glad I decided to higher my education here. The only bad thing about NIU would be the professors some just don't care about you or your learning.