Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

Michelle

Go to the college you want to from the get-go! Do not waste your time going to a community college first. Study when you need to study and have fun when time allows. Passing classes isn't really enough, strive for the Dean's List, the sense of accomplishment is indescribable! Some really rough times are going to come your way, things you are by no means prepared for and would never imagine. When these things happen, stay strong, lean on those who love you, they will be there for you and with them you can get through anything and carry on with school! Going back to school when you are 42, have 2 active kids and a very active life yourself is not easy at all!!

That they have a location so close to home and that the professors are fabulous! And I am certain not to leave out that they have an outstanding non-traditional student program. Being 40+ and back in college, I was very afraid I would feel out of place........that is not the case at all!!

Courtney

Northern Kentucky University is known for being a relatively new college. It was founded in 1968, making it only 45 years old. Being such a new school, the amount of students is nowhere near the size of the University of Kentucky or larger state schools, which is part of the reason why the students that attend here love the school. Being a “state school”, you’re paying what other students who go to state schools pay, but you’re getting a private school education. The professor to student ratio is 14:1 with an average class size of 24 students.

One major piece of advice I would give my high school senior self, is to dedicate more time to applying for scholarships. While senior year is meant to be fun, it is also a time to prepare your self for your future and for myself, that meant college. I would stress that you can never apply for too many scholarships because the more you apply for, the bigger the chance you have at winning more scholarship money. I would also tell myself that all of the stereotypes about poor college students are definitely true, and that I need to save more money. While studying to get that higher education, it becomes very stressful on a college student that money is such a huge issue. Whether it's getting more money to pay for tutition, or money to buy gas when visiting home, as a college student you really start to see how money effects your everyday living and the struggle to find a successful balance of work, school, and what little leisure time you may miraculously have time for.

The type of person who shouldn't attend this school is one who does not plan on getting involved with any student organizations while in college. Northern Kentucky University has many options when it comes to student organizations and are gaining more each year. When freshman come onto campus for the first time, joining an organization is really stressed at this school. Most all students are apart of something whether it is a Greek organization or a club for their major. NKU likes to keep students involved in whats going on and to help contribute to their school.

marlon

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would give myself advice-not only limited to the college life and experience, but also pertaining to life in general and the experiences and the knowledge derived through those experiences. Looking back I notice that the main focus, up until my senior year of highschool, wasn't really about 'school'. It was about the social aspect that came along with school (inside of the classroom, and out). I would tell myself otherwise and express the importance of school and doing it the right way. I would tell myself to know and to trust in 'work hard, play even harder' and only in time will I grow to understand 'WHY'.

My school is very accepting with allowing students to express themselves.

My school is very accepting with allowing students to express themselves.

I would tell myself to not be afraid to branch out of my small town and that sometimes it's the best way to find out who I really am. I would tell myself to actually try for scholarships and not assume that they will fall into my lap. Trying to pay for college is really tough and some times impossible. I would want myself to know that just because all my high school friends are going to a certain college doesn't mean I have to follow. I will find more and truer friends than the ones in high school. I would also tell myself that everything will eventually work itself out and finally fall into place.

Financial aid for my school is very difficult. They seem to not really care how or if you go to college.

I would tell myself to do not suffer in silence instead of asking for help. I know I want to do everything on my own and how I feel that I need to do everything on my own without help for others, but I am still young and there are people who love you and want to help. If you do not let them, you will make several failures in your college years. You need to admit when you need help and ask.

The only reason I would not recommend Northern Kentucky University is if they didn't have there major.

Almost all of the offices, staff, and teachers are very helpful.

Kelsey

If I could go back and tell myself anything as a senior, it would be to relax and major in what I love. I started out as a nursing major in order to please my parents, but I quickly realized it was not for me. Now I couldn't be happier with what I am majoring in, Social Studies Education, and I wish I could tell myself that my parents are okay with it too.

I would cosider the best thing about my school to be the amount of diversity and how much the teachers care about their students.

The worst thing about my school is the financial aid office. They are not very efficient.

Sara

Have fun. Get to know yourself. Go against the grain. Give 110% - always. Use the resources your college provides for you. Get to know your instructors and the other people in your program - they will be there with you every step of the way; no matter how hard it gets, they'll understand. Step out of your comfort zone and try new things! Look at the world through open eyes often. Study abroad, even if just for a couple of weeks. Take life slowly - don't try to rush these years. Be grateful for what you have and give back by volunteering. Head home for school breaks and have deep conversations with your parents. Learn about every single thing you can. Study hard and study smart, but don't forget to take time to enjoy college life. Exercise - you won't have a free gym available forever, plus, it makes you feel good! Stay grounded but know that you are special and irreplaceable. Be graceful. Love and respect yourself!

I would tell myself to make more connections. Now that I'm in my second year of college, connections are everything. I wish I had networked more and took advantage of my high school's resources. I would tell myself to go the extra mile to connect with teachers and faculty (these people are valuable for both letters of recommendation and life lessons in general). I would tell my senior-self, as well as others, to make valuable connections during this final year of high school.

Parking is definitely frustrating. There are rarely any open spaces. This becomes a hassle when the weather is poor, and we have to walk a half mile from our cars to our classes.

I wish I would have known about the online classes NKU offers during my first semester. I live very far away, and attending several online classes saves me gas money. NKU has a great online learning tutorial for online classes that made me feel very comfortable with the online programs. I wish I was aware during my first semester.

Marcia

The first thing I would say to myself as a senior is not to put off going to school. I would tell myself not to let the fear of failure stop me from doing what I want to do in my life. I would really encourage myself to go to school and enjoy the wide variety of activities that were available and to enjoy life. Most importantly I would tell myself not to set limits on what I could accomplish and what I could be.

I wish I had come sooner. I waited way too long to come and because I already had a family established I have not been able to be as engaged in some of the awesome activities and opportunites that are available to me.

I don't think there is a kind of person who couldn't be successful at Northern Kentucky University. There is really something here for everyone and the students are able to be as involved as they want to be in just about anything. If there isn't already a club or organization out there to meet your needs it isn't difficult to start one.

Ja'von

In Northern Kentucky i have a small class usually of 20-30 students, male and female under the age of nineteen and everyone seems very focused on their individual eduacation.

As a college student , the advice I would choose to give to my past self as a high school Senior is to network with the small class around me. As a college student finishing up the first semester I realize networking is a tool used to make life alot more beneficial and easier, I believe its the secret to discovering oppurtunities, such as jobs, internships, and even love and friendships. I would also add on to work hard on scholarships, paying for college isn't as easy, earn more credibilty, build on reccommendation, and draw and practice alot more. Lastly I'd tell him, don't to be a sucker for love, when you meet a female companion.

When enrolling in Northern Kentucky I wish I had known that an average graduation rate is five years for students.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.