Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

Adam

I would tell myself to not be afraid to embrace who I am. I never used to be proud to be gay and I tried relentlessly to hide it. However after starting college, I realized that it really doesn't matter. Your friends and family are going to accept you for who you are. I would tell myself to be more confident in myself and let my true self shine. In the grand scheme of things, being gay has little impact on what you accomplish inlife. So why let it hold you back from being who you are and realzing you full potential?

The close knit feel NKU offers. it is easy to make friends and excell here.

The faculty/staff attitudes towards members of the LGBT community.

BreAnna

Stick it out! That is the advice I would give my high school self. Extracurricular activities are a big deal in both high school and college, the difference is the extracurricular activities in high school prepare you for leadership positions in college. As you become an adult you no longer have the desire to just be a member; one in a number you want to be a leader and it’s hard not to want to take on more responsibility when given the opportunity. But if you didn’t have the proper training as a member, how can you be a leader. In high school I joined clubs to be with friends and to have something to do. I didn’t realize how much responsibility I took on even just being a member, so many of the clubs I quit. Now as the vice president of one organization, and the treasurer of another, I tend to become overwhelmed. Although I am learning how to handle the responsibility of being a leader ,I fell if I had just stuck it out in high school, and learned to be a member, being a leader wouldn be as hard.

Small classes make it eaiser to not only get to know the teachers but the students as well.

Abigail

Always work hard. Don't slack off. In college, it's extremely easy to get lazy, but that's no excuse to do so. Now more than ever, your good performance is important. You don't have your parents around to kick you into gear, so you have to do it yourself. Also, studying is way more essential than it was in high school. In college, it is practically a requirement; you may not have needed to study often or at all in high school, but you will now. Having fun is important, too, but be sure to always set aside time for school work, even if you have to lock yourself away from the rest of the world.

It seems like things move slowly at NKU. For example, construction projects around campus were meant to be finished before I even began school, but were not completed until well into the winter. In other departments like the accounting, legal, advising etc, things seem to process slowly as well, and if you have a question, don't expect an efficient response.

NKU has a great staff. Coming from a small school, I was looking for that small school feel but with big school resources. NKU's staff pay attention to each students needs and are always happy to help. They are first and foremost teachers, researchers second. Combine that with small class sizes and I found the perfect school for me.

Alycia

My classmates are some of the best out there and are like no one else in the fact that they bring so many different qualities to NKU.

If I could go back and talk to myself I would tell myself to work even harder than I did to prepare for the drastic change in how hard I needed to work. I would tell myself to look into different ways of studying because in college the same way will not work for every subject. I would also tell myself to be prepared for the different social aspects of college. They are not the same as high school. You can make friends in high school just like that but in college you have to be ready to put yourself out there a little more in order to make new friends. Finally, I would tell myself to just work through it all because in the end it will all be well worth while.

The type of person that should attend NKU is someone who does not mind being in a close knit community. Although it is a division 1 school now and it is a public university the faculty and staff take time to get to know everyone on a personal level. Students looking to attend have to be accepting of this great quality of NKU.

Greg

In knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice that I would've given to myself as a high school senior would be to talk to current college students in the major that I was looking at to find out what they liked and didn't like about it. I would also tell myself to allocate hours dedicated to studying over the material learned during class. One important thing I would tell myself would be to find out from professors if there was any extra work I could do to get more practice especially if it was a subject I was struggling with. Another important piece of advice I would give myself would be to be absolutely certain about the major I picked instead of settling. This could've been done by looking at possible jobs that I would've been interested in post-college. I would definitely tell myself to have fun in college, whether it's going to sporting events or playing intramural sports, but not so much that it takes into my time of studying.

I really wish I had looked harder into this school during my Senior year of high school. I absolutely love their Computer Information Technology program. I would recommend it to anyone coming out of high school or someone looking to transfer from a community college.

So far I've only been in two different in two different buildings so I haven't experienced a lot as far as campus life goes. In one of the buildings the elevator didn't always work as I experienced once. That was quite the adventure waiting for someone to fix that.

kayla

Kayla, I know you have no idea what is about to happen to your life in the next four years but believe me when I say that it's goin to be the best experience you will ever experience. You will have many ups as well as many downs, but you will always rise above it all. It will be events that will try to hold you back from accomplishing your goals, always remember that this is bigger than you, it's for your family as well. I know that right now, there is so much pressure, stress, and anxiety, getting accepted in schools, prom, work, and life in general, stay strong but also enjoy it because it will happen so fast. Once you are in college remember to stay focus on your studies but also have s good social life. I know that some people are saying that you need to rush and decide a major but don't listen, it will come to you, when the time is right. Kayla, it's so much more that I can say to you but I want you to leave with this message always keep God first and keep the faith.

The kind of person that should attend Northern Kentucky University is someone that likes small class sizes an a small campus. A person has to be willing to go out and make friends and stay very involved in the different groups that are offered here at NKU. A person that is hard-working, dedicated, loyal and ready to be the best in life should attend NKU. A person that's not to much into partying and drinking because NK, is a dry campus and to some people that may bother them. I feel that anyone can attend NKU.

Before attending Northern Kentucky University, I wish I would have known that I would meet some of the best people in my life, that I would fall in love with the school, have more memories that I will ever be able to count and that NKU will be the best thing that has ever happen to my friend and I. Being at NKU has taught me so much about myself as well as family, friends, and life itself. NKU has helped me grow and evolve into the person that I want and need to be in life.

Angel

Be sure to live up your college life. Things will be difficult and sometimes you may feel like giving up, but don't. Live at home with mom and dad as long as possible. Do not rush yourself to grow up, you have the rest of your life for that. Northern Kentucky University is a great place. Do not second guess yourself, you are going into a great profession and the profession that is best for you. Everything works out by graduation. Quite worrying and just enjoy your time there.

The best thing about the school is the small class size and the professors. since the classes are so small the professors are able to give individualized attention.

The worst thing is that the campus is considered a communter school so there are not many activities on campus throughout the week or on weekends.

Kyra

It feels like the combination of a small, private school and a large university with many opportunities and it's rapidly growing.

"College is a fresh start; expand your horizons, meet new people, take advantage of opportunities, have fun, but on top of everything- stay dedicated!" This is what I would tell myself as a high school senior, summed up in a nutshell. College is a time in your life that can really shape who you are. It is such a diverse and opportunistic environment that should be fully taken advantage of, but it is what you make of it. Take classes that you enjoy to help you stay focused. Get involved in campus activities and organizations in order to give you a break from school and meet new friends. Avoid procrastination as much as possible- it will come back to haunt you and steal your sleep! Enjoy yourself; these are your last few years to enjoy being a student before having to go off and get a “big girl” job. Most importantly, amongst having fun, stay dedicated to your school work and achieve those A’s. Learning is a privilege that you are paying a lot of money for- don’t waste it away by taking the easy way out!

I wish I would have known that there is not a huge selection of foreign language courses to choose from each semester.

Jenna

Norther Kentucky University is a calm school the class size is just right if you don't prefer large classes, the campus is one of the nicest I have seen so far and walking distance to class won't be a hike.

What I would go back and tell myself is that I should work to my fullest potential. All the bad things that happened during high school is just lessons that you would learn to help you with the future. I would also say that the major I chose was way more difficult then I thought but with my potential I can do whatever I put my mind to.

What I wish I have know before I came to NKU are all the scholarships I could have applied for.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.