Highland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Kentucky University

Morgan

The perfect amount of students to feel like you have a chance to be one on one with your teachers, as well as allowing you to get to know your peers better.

Be ready for some big changes. You're going to grow up quickly and be treated more like an adult than you ever have before. You're responcible for all that is going to come your way, but don't be afraid to ask for help. Take time to figure out what you want, but do it as quickly as possible! DON'T FORGET TO SAVE MONEY, even if it seems impossible. Believe in yourself, you can do anything.

I really enjoy the professors at my school, as well as how welcoming everyone is.

Alicia

It is a community college that has evolved into a university.

It is a community college that has evolved into a university.

I would advise myself to apply to more colleges. I shouldn't have felt restricted based on finances.

The tuition continues to increase, yet I am not benefiting from any of the changes that occur.

Jamie

I would tell myself to make sure I took my studies seriously and graduate in 4-5 years instead of the 8 years that it eventually took for me to earn my bachelor's degree.

There is not a lot of diversity and a lot of people from my high school went there-we called it 13th grade.

Denisha

A very nice school, with small class sizes.

A very nice school, with small class sizes.

Applying to college is probably one of the more important milestones in your life up until now. You are making a determination about where you will spend the next four years of your life. This isn't math homework, or even a history project. This is your future. As an example, let's think about the personal statement. Writing a personal statement that is not a laundry list of everything you have done, but instead a coherent essay that addresses your motivation, challenges faced, and evidence of sustained engagement in academic and non-academic activities takes a lot of time and thought. You should focus more on the location. Do you want to live far away from home, to be more dependent on yourself? Or stay close to your home, so that your friends and family can be at arms reach. You also should think about your career and if the school is a good choice for helping you complete your career goal.

How the dorm room looks, it doesn't really look like a campus dormitory.

Sara

Classmates are very clicky and preppy.

Classmates are very clicky and preppy.

I would tell students to get involved. Making friends and being active really allow you to use college to its full potential. The experience from these activites and from being with your friends will be more important than what you learn. These experiences will shape you as a person and make you stronger and more prepared for the world ahead.

Lack of Financial Aid to those who need it.

Olivia

Northern has the friendliest staff I have ever experienced. Before I actually started attending the school, I figured that all the advisors, faculty, etc. were just being nice because they wanted me to enroll at Northern. However after I ended up enrolling, I couldn't believe how incredibly genuine everyone was. I had talked to three separate academic advisors who were all really interested in my life, my classes, my major. It didn't stop there, either. The financial aid department was great as well. I found that everyone here was that sincere.

Selecting the "right" college really isn't up to the parents. I think this is the first step that gets twisted a lot of times. The parent can make suggestions, create options, and maybe even help with the funding, but they can't make their kid's choice for them. The "right" college choice is essentially up to the student. Does he/she feel more comfortable in smaller or larger classes? Are they huge party people? Is getting involved with the community important to them? Do they want to live on or off campus? How far from home would be comfortable for them? Although the parents can help with these answers, the young adult is the one that needs to make the decisions and choose what is best for them. As far as making the most out of the college experience goes, it is what you make it! Meet as many people as you can, then make friends out of the ones you like. Take classes that sound interesting to you (and that you need for your degree). Finally being out of high school and into the real world is something to enjoy as well as work hard for.

The value for your money is hands down the best thing about NKU. They say that you get a "private school education for a public school cost," and they aren't lying. The classes are smaller, but there are still so many course options available. The tuition really is reasonable, which is probably why everyone is attracted to the school in the first place.

Jada

Know what you're looking for. This is the single most important aspect of choosing a college. Know if you want a small school or a large school. Know what size classes you'd prefer. Know whether you want to live on campus or off, whether you're ready to move out of your parents' home or not. Don't choose a school by its reputation; just because the majority of people think it's a top school doesn't mean you will. Plan to visit the colleges you've considered. Sit in on a class. Stay overnight in on-campus housing if you plan to live on campus. This way you know what it will be like. All this advice is for the student. Don't let your parents pick your college. You have to choose your college based on what you want, what you're looking for. It's the rest of your life, not theirs. But don't forget they can help you. Consult them. Parents be supportive, listen don't tell, but let the student make this decision on his own. Once he has the real learning begins.

I wish I had known that there aren't many jobs opportunities for just a BA degree in my field.

This school caters to local students, mainly those who wouldn't have thought to go to college previously.

Maria

There have been many things that I have learned through my two years in college thus far. If there is anything that I would want people to understand about finding the right college it would be to consider all of one's options. Do not limit oneself. There are so many opportunities out there, but you won't be able to completely understand or appreciate that until you allow yourself to see it. Therefore, if there is a specific major you are looking for, look to see what institutions carry that major and narrow down your search that way. There are so many unique experiences that college brings and it is important to feel that you made the right decision for yourself in the long run. In my opinion, the best way to make the most out of college is if the money is there, live on campus. Doing this will expose you to your independence for the first time while also introducing you to many responsibilities that a maturing adult needs to learn and understand. Living on campus will also expose you to many different people and situations. This will help form you as a person.

This is a University where almost anyone could attend. Like I have said, the staff wants one to succeed, and as long as one is willing to put forth an effort and push themselves in and out of the classroom, they are most likely to succeed. Therefore, like almost any other school, the student is going to get out of it what they put into it. If one is involved and works hard to step outside their comfort zone, then they will be able to accomplish many things.

I wish that I would have had a chance to know the campus more. Because of personal circumstances, I was unable to really get to know most of the University and concentrated on their volleyball and nursing programs. Therefore, in looking into this University and trying to decide if it is for you, I would strongly suggest looking into as many things as you can. Education and knowledge is power, and will allow you to make the best decision for you.

Joe

I would start by visiting all schools the schools you are interested in. This helps to get a feel for the campus and what the academic experience would be like. Another important decision is whether to move away or not. I personally like being home and around my family but to others that may be different. Going away to school really teaches you about yourself because you have to take responsibility and in a sense, grow up. The next action i would take is to seek out anyone you know that currently is enrolled at a school you are interested. They can tell you from first hand experience. And perhaps most importantly, go to the school that fits you, not anybody else. You will be stuck there for at least four years so you might as well enjoy it. Also i would say to no let money too much of a factor, there are tons of financial aid options for everyone.

The worst thing in my opinion is buying books. Many students buy online or off-campus stores because our book store is extremely expensive. I wish books were made more affordable to students.

I would have to say the traffic in the morning. Sometimes you can wait in line for 10 - 15 minutes, which means we as students have to wake up earlier and sometimes makes it difficult to get to class on time

melissa

Northern Kentucky is a very diverse, culturally acceptable university that makes learning very interesting.

My classmates are unique individuals that bring several different ideas to the table during class discussions.

To make the time to really think about what you want out of college. You will be there for an average of five years so you really what is best for you. The way to get the best experience out of college is to get involved with things that interest you. Really, the whole college experience is what you make it and always remember college is about what YOU want.

Northern Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.