Northern Kentucky University Top Questions

I would tell myself to focus harder on my studies, because I can't slack off and still get straight 100s like I did in high school. Also, I would tell myself not to take a job at Wendy's because it is not worth it in the long run; I should focus on my studies while I am in college. If I did that my first year, I would have a perfect 4.0 GPA now, easily. I would tell myself that not to spend so much money on CDs, because I will need the money for medical emergencies. I would tell myself to always be willing to learn from other people. I would tell myself to eat less fast food. I would tell myself to enjoy the summer, because it is the best time of the year. Finally, I would tell myself to take it easy, not let my cynicism get the best of me, treat people right, and enjoy living and learning. College is the best place for both things.

I would defnitely, definitely tell myself to learn how to study effeciently and to be more involved with extra cirriculars. I turn 20 in less than a month and I'm just now getting involved in activities (mostly athletic) that I would be great at now if I had interest in it in high school. I was one of those quiet, awkward, shy kids that stuck to myself and friends I had already been friends with for years. Not that I don't adore my friends now , it'd just be nice to be able to make new ones. With studying, I was always one of the smart kids who 'didn't need to study to get an A'. That completely changed in college because classes are much more rigorous and book orientated. I would definitely slap my past self for being so arrogant and sit her down and show her nifty study techniques (like not highlighting every sentence) and show her what to study in text books.

Donnise

To go back in time and mentor myself on college and the transition I would tell myself to not rush. Take a year off and travel. Research schools and see which one is the best fit for you. Research yourself and see which direction you want to go in. Do not go directly into school because everyone else is. Do not waste years of your life and money with uncertainty. When you begin school you have to be serious you have to study and you have to believe in yourself the easiest thing will be to quit. You must remember that you are a first generation student in your family and when you go to school and finish you will be changing history. Change it boldly and proudly. Do not dwell or wait on friends, boyfriends, and other relationships there will be plenty of time for that after college dwell on dreams, ambitions, and goals. The only difference between the people living their dream and the people not is that they never gave up. The world is yours go for it, and always shoot for the moon because at least then you will land among the stars.

The deadline has already passed but i would tell my high school self to try harder in school and on the ACT.

Shania

I would tell myself to not be afraid to voice your opinon because it is worse to not share an idea than it is to share an idea and have it not be accepted. I would explain the quote that perfectly states "you could be the ripest, juciest peach in the world, but there is still going to be someone who hates peaches" and say that I am still worth it, I have a right to exist such as everyone else.

SiennaMarisa

Dear High School Self, Let the written word sweep you off your feet Lose yourself in the dim zebra pages of a tattered notebook Lose the invisible chains that thwart you from spectacular feats Let vicious vernacular transform you “You won’t make it.” Words will attempt to devour your soul Distort your image Destroy your spirit “College is a waste of time.” Words will becloud your once brilliant eyes Permeate your heart Pierce your fragile mind “Why not just get a job – be more useful?” You will struggle You will weep You will falter You will live “Must be nice to look down from that college throne.” Let the words that clenched your fists Inspire those around you Pave the road to your success Fortify your lovely soul Words cannot define you Words cannot defeat you Words cannot delete you College will be a lot of work, but you will make it through. You will be raped by a friend and want to escape. You will find solace through your grades, new friends, and myriad accomplishments. What happens to you and what is said to you will not break you down, but build you up. Great things await.

You're going to be okay. I know that we are terrified of change and traveling five hours away from home feels like walking a tight rope without a safety net, but it's going to be great. You're going to meet some of the best people in the world and figure out who you are and what you like and want to do in the process. Don't be afraid to talk to people and get involved. College is a learning experience and I promise you that you'll learn so much: both in and out of the classroom. It's okay to be scared, but don't let that stop you from moving forward. Now take a deep breath, smile, and go apply for those scholarships that I know you've been putting off.

Elaine

Dear younger version, You do not have to settle for community college. Also, once you turn 26 you won’t need mom and dad’s financial info, but believe me it’s worth the hassle for the tuition assistance. The application process gets easier after a while and it won't be so overwhelming anymore. Buy yourself a file cabinet, it will really smooth out the transition process. Try, try, try to understand all the red tape, if you don't understand it, file it for later- see, I told you the file cabinet would come in handy. There will be times when you will be a walking zombie and it will shock you that you still managed to get a passing grade- that's normal. College kids are as lame as you thought, but you will never see them again, and if you do, you won't care. Everything you go through during this trying time will be for the better; it builds character- thanks grandma! As hard as it all was we still wouldn’t change a thing except go to NKU sooner. Lastly, there is no shame in taking a break. YOU GO GIRL!

Asia

Asia Dozier January 27, 2015 My advice to my High School self would be to, don’t be so worried about the negative out comes of college and only focus on the good energy that freely flows around you, since I dealing with a lot of nonsense in high school, teen wondering the halls, or loitering in gym and even the bathrooms just to avoid class, I figured I was ready for High School, then I thought the same for college as well, until actually being in community college made me realize that it’s the same thing just a different class room and that most if not all professors cared little to none about dealing with students face to face. I’d tell my high school self to come out of my shell more and be much more open to asking for help, I admit even now I still sort of have some small issue with asking for help, but I’ve grown some and still are growing to be more open, I realized due to past events I realize my issue is with fearing failure. Fearing failure is a cycle I have and still am pulling away from

Monique

If I could go back to my high school self, I would tell myself to not waste time on the little things. Don't waste your time on parties, you should be studying. Don't waste money on unnecessary things such as clothes, instead you should be saving for college. Your senior year of high school should not be wasted. Take advantage of those AP courses (something I didn't do) because it will get you ahead and even save you money. Don't waste your brain knowledge the more you have to know, the more you hae to offer yourself as you go through college.

Britny

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in highschool, I would tell myself to reach for my goals and to never give up. Even when it seems like school is hard and a social life and working is more important, it is possible to balance all of them efficiently. I would take attending college the first time around more seriously. I would tell myself that i have survived school for 13 years and that college will just be another 4 to 6 that I can get through with a little hard work and dedication.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I will tell myself to go to the school that you really want to go to. I feel like I let my family decide where I wanted to go for me. I do not think that they meant to do that, but my family pushed me into going to Marietta College. It was close to where my mother lived, who moved my junior year, and she really loved the idea of me living close to her. I chose to go there and ended up not feeling at home. If I could tell my senior self one thing, is to, for the first time in my life, make my own decisions and to pick what was best for me. I would tell myself to visit more colleges and get a feel for more campuses. If I would have done this, maybe I would not have transferred. Maybe I would have found my home at NKU sooner. I would also tell myself to enjoy my time in high school. I did not think I would miss it, but I do. I wish I would have enjoyed it more.

If i could talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to work harder and take classes more seriously. I feel that by taking this step I would be able to better prepare for my college career, and make wiser choices. I also feel that I would tell myself to take the ACT more seriously, and to take more pride in the work I submit to my instructors.

Cora

Keep your mind open to new experiences and push yourself outside of your comfort zone.

Mariah

The first lesson that college has taugh me is that no, going out with your friends is not nearly as important as applying for scholarships. Although you may feel that your entire extistence relies on attending this one party, there will be more of them, and most likely each one will be essentially the same. Unfortunately, the deadline for the scholarship is not nearly as forgiving as your classmates. You will now be forced to work five days a week to pay for your tuition. The second is that once you're out of highschool, no one cares what you did in highschool. It doesn't matter if you were prom queen or had to eat lunch by yourself everyday. The social hierarchy disappears and you realize that everyone has the same goals; make it to class on time, graduate, and hopefully have some fun along the way. The third is you are entirely responsible for yourself. No one is going to make you succeed. You have to want it and you have to work for it. You must be passionate and proactive. If you fail, you will only have yourself to blame.

curtisa

Knowing what I know now I would have told myself to take a break from school before rushing back. I would warn myself how school is full time dedication and commitment and to make it through I would have to sacrifice working full time. The most important advice I would have gave myself is do not take on too many credit hours even when an advisor try to pressure it on you, it is up to YOU to take advisor advice you can tell them no.

Ceilidh

I would tell myself to always look at things with the most postive outlook possible. Almost any problem you are having, be it academic or otherwise, can be fixed with a good attitude and a little bit of hard work. The transition into college can be rough at times, be it the rigid standards that some professors hold you to or the tough coursework, but in the end a positive outlook makes everything seem worth it. Keeping your goal in sight (in my case, medical school) and not letting go of it is also important. Even the toughest lab is worth it when you have perspective. To conclude this, the biggest thing I would tell high school me is to not give up- ever. The college transition can be an incredibly difficult one, but a good attitude; keeping sight of your goals; and a positive outlook all serve to make a what can be a rough transition a lot easier.

Bethann

Pay attention, high school does matter despite all the advice you heard. Your friends? You'll stay friends, but be prepared to not share as many memories. You'll change - everything will change, and it will no doubt be hard for the first few times you go grocery shopping by yourself, or see the price of just merely renting a text book. But, even though it'll be hard, you CAN do it. Don't stay up as late, enjoy sporting events and please go to your prom. Make stories in high school that you can tell to your college friends, and make stories at college you can tell to your high school friends. Be yourself, because out of the hundreds of people you'll encounter a day, at least one will want to befriend you. Don't try and be someone else - highschool is known to change a person in that sense, but please believe me, my past self, when I say that who you are in highschool is irrelevant to the name you'll make for yourself at university.

I see you are nervous. It seems impossible to survive four more years sitting in classes! Instead, tasting uninhibited freedom and roaming the world is what entices you. You question how college can accomodate such a restless spirit. Those worries can be debunked! My first semester taught me the anthem of college is actually freedom to achieve fascinating opportunities. The road is open to fashion your learning environment into what you need. For instance, just take a walk to the study abroad office. I can now proudly inform you I will be studying abroad in South Korea this summer! I also see you are unsure about being noticed amidst the sea of undergraduates. My advice, simply be genuine. When you write papers, engage in conversations, and make decisions, do it with an honest interest and effort. In a very natural way, I found like-minded people because I fully engaged in my major's courses and clubs. It is there that I am met with a constant source of inspiration and support. Rest assured, you will find a million ways to celebrate your incredible new phase in life! In fact, college is just the beginning of a lifetime of adventure.

The advise I would give to my high school senior self is keep looking for scholarships. When I was a senior I was very lazy when it came to research. My mom would always scold me about searching for scholarships because she knew we didnt have the money to afford college. I was very slow about things being a senior; I was always procrastinating on it. The financial issues didn't really hit me till I went to freshman orientation at Northern Kentucky University. During one of the session the faculty talk about money and how much everything was going to cost. At that point I realize I messed up. Now that I finished my first semeter with a 3.5 GPA, I learned some valuable lessons. The lessons I learned throughout out my first sesmeter I would love to tell my high school senior self. For one, I would stress the fact of keep looking for scholarships to help pay for college. Two, I would tell myself to dont give up, keep pushing. Last but not least, I would tell my self tokeep praying, believing and always continue have faith. Miracles will come just in time.

College is going to be very different. Make sure that you keep an open mind about it and do not stress out about the whole process. Everything will turn out great so just enjoy your senior year and have fun. College comes with a lot of freedom but also a lot of responsibility. Just do your best and go to class and there wil be nothing to worry about.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I could give myself a lot of advice. However, one piece of advice stands out above all that. I would tell myself that it is okay to fail sometimes. I am a perfectionist, and I always have been, but I've learned in the past few years that nobody gets it right all the time. Making mistakes is a part of life, and it isn't always bad. Some of the mistakes I've made in the past few years have taught me more than any victory I've ever had in my life. While success is the obvious goal in life, the occassional failure isn't going to stop the path to success completely. I would tell my past self to take every failure and consider it a learning experience, because that is one of the things I've had to learn the hard way.

Tiffani

The advice i would give myself is to be more serious about my work. Always try to be involved in as much as i am interested in or can handle. Its ok to ask for help, to go to the teacher or to ask your friend. Its ok to be myself to not try to fit in with the crowd, because who i am as a individual will help me grow more as a person. That sometimes saying no to my friends is ok because it means that i am focused and ready for the next step in life. That being popular is not the biggest thing on earth and that working together is even better than working alone. That instead of trying to just only help myself that i can also help the people around me. To always stay positive and to surrond myself with people who want to be positive just like me. To never give up and to always keep trying, if i ever fall down to always try to get back up. Always keep my faith in god and try to love people and not dislike them, because networking is the key& just be me.

Angel

If I could go back in time to my high-school days, I would remind myself that grades do matter, and that I need to keep postitive and stay motivated. I graduated in 2005 from high-school, and did not realize at the time what a big impact my high-school GPA would have on my options for college. At the time, I was focused on becoming a movie star and did not think math or science had anything to do with it; nor did I know that the performing arts was even a degree choice. Needless to say, I did not know much about college; neither of my parents nor any of my four older siblings graduated from college. So, I was the first in the family to make that choice after doing community theatre for years. I decided that I wanted to get paid to do what I loved, and therfore made that decision to be the first in my family to graduate with a college degree. I now have an Associates Degree from Sinclair Community College, and am currently persuing a BFA in Acting at Northern Kentucky University-all while maintaing a 3.7 GPA!

Looking back on everything, the main piece of advice that I would give myself is to not worry. Going into college I was a nervous wreck, whether it was about moving into a dorm, to having a roommate, to even worrying about failing classes. Worrying never makes anything better, just take a deep breath and face your challenges head on. Another piece of advice that I would give myself is to manage your time wisely. It is easy to watch television for an extra 30 minutes, instead of studying, but that test comes quicker than you realize and cramming for a test is terrible. Taking the time to study will make life so much easier, and will help keep some of the stress that comes with college down. The last piece of advice that I would give is to network. Whether that means getting involved in a lot of campus activities, or getting to know your peers and professors well, it will pay off in the long run. These people will help you find your place within the community and can even help you after you leave college, by helping you find a job, to even becoming life long friends.

I have often pondered this question before. Looking back at my high school self, I was mainly concerned with my grades and work. I didn't have too much to stay on top of. Since going to college, I am now busy with keeping up my grades, work, my sorority, and other campus organizations. At times it can be overwhelming and stressful to balance everything. With that being said, I would tell my high school self to stay on top of my priorities and not to procrastinate. Sometimes it is hard tp stay focused when everyone around you isn't. However, staying on top of your priorities will make life less stressful and more balanced in the end.

Linda

I would give myself practical advice. While I greatly enjoyed my time in college, I wish I had taken more practical classes. I would instruct my high school self to take some technical writing classes to be more marketable from a business standpoint. I also would tell my high school self to explore semester long study abroad opportunities. Northern Kentucky University has a wonderful study abroad program with an ample amount of scholarship opportunities for such programs. I was able to travel abroad for short periods through school, which greatly enhanced my appreciation for the humanities, however I allowed personal reasons to hold me back from longer trips. I would tell my high school self to work hard, harder than I thought possible, and to not let romantic relationships get in the way of her education or the means to pay for that education.

Dear self, In a few months from now you will begin your journey as a freshman in college. Everyone is going to tell you that college requires more work and dedication, and that procrastination can not be an option, and they are right. What you will not hear as often is that college is a new opportunity to question and challenge yourself. It's a time to remember that you are completely capable of accomplishing anything, and that listening to your heart is what will lead you to happiness. I am writing you this letter because before you graduate you will take the ACT two more times. You are going to study a lot, and prepare in the best way you can, but it won't make a difference. This is when I need you to relax, take a step back and believe that a number does not define who you are or who you will be. Do not give up, and keep applying to scholarships! College is so expensive, but there is always a way to pay for it. Do not believe that one school is your only option, especially when your heart knows it is not.

As a college student who is facing the struggles of paying for college, I would have told my high school self that I should have applied for scholarships more. College isn't a joke. It's definitely a different world and helped myself realize that life is not going to be easy. I wish I would have taken more advantages of the opportunities I was given, especially when I came to focusing on college and how to pay for it. I would have worked harder on my audition materials and tried to prove to myself that I am worth all of the many college application fees. Personally, I would tell my high school self to have more self-confidence. I am more important than any of the sadness high school brought me at times. I felt low, and now I realize that it wasn't worth it. Your biggest critic is yourself-and that's something I finally am starting to realize.

Roderick

I'd tell him not to worry, that he is and is going to remain fine. Then id tell him to study a little more not because yuo have to, but because you should. But most importantly I'd tell him to say goodbye to every one, because you sure will miss them.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would do it in a heartbeat. There is so much I would want to tell myself to make my first semester of college a little easier. The transition with friends was the hardest thing for me. I went to the same college as my best friend. I think we both hard different visions in our heads of our friendship in college. My friend thought we would be attached at the hip and I thought we both were going to go out and meet a ton of new people and continue to be best friends. Our friendship has dwindled to almost nothing because we both weren't aware of the others picture of what college life was going to be like. My biggest advice I would give myself is to talk to my best friend about what she expects college to be like. If that happened, my best friend and I might still be friends.

Shasta

For me as a High school senior I was never planning on attending college. My attitude towards college is what I wish I could change about my High School senior self. I never took the idea of college very serious because no one in my family every really did. I would say "Shasta, you have so much potential, plan ahead so that you can help others. College doesn't seem like a fun idea now, but you will make some of the best memories of your life there. You will meet the man of your dreams through the friends you make. College is where you will learn to express yourself, learn to care about others as a career and to learn to have the same love of learning dad always tried to get us to keep close to our hearts." College was and still is a place I cherish. Not everyone gets the chance to go to a post secondary school and I took that for granted in High School, I would hope that looking back I would change my view of college earlier, to influence me to follow my dreams and reach my goals.

Dear Emily, Once you start college your life will be completely different. It will be challenging none the less but it will all be worth it. Take the time to think about what career you would like to pursue and always, always follow your heart in whatever you please to do. It is important to pursue a career not only for financial reasons but mostly for the love of the field. Take the time to research different careers and choose the one that will give you pride and happiness on a daily basis. College is so important for your future so be prepared for whatever may cross your path. Whenever things become challenging look to your family for they will always be there to guide you along the way and give you the determination to finish what you started. You can do anything you set your mind to so go out there and be whatever you choose to be! Dont give up on your dreams!

Tracy

I would tell my high school senior self to start college in the fall (like I did) and complete my degree and make my father and brothers proud.

Don't wait to go to college; don't slow down. It's easy to think, "I need some time to fix things. I need some time to get my life straightened out." Don't do it. No matter how hard life seems, it's not going to get easier if you let your career and education opportunities pass you by. And college is hard, sure, but it's also got all the support you need - you'll have friends, and teachers, and faculty who can guide you through the worst of it. Every moment you spend away from school - without that help, without that knowledge - life gets harder. Dead-end jobs and unfulfilling work weeks will never make you happy; a real career, that makes a real difference, is exactly what you're looking for. Don't let fear or anxiety get the best of you; those feelings are temporary, and they'll always hold you back from doing your best. Don't let yourself down. Apply for college as soon as you can, and prove exactly what you're capable of. Don't wait to go to college; don't slow down.

yasmin

i would tell myself that life is worth living and it does get better. trying to be accepted and trying to fit in wont matter once real life kicks in all those people telling you that you will not amount to anything are wrong you will make something of your self and you will prove to them that you dont need their acceptance to find yourself in life. get out there and take some risks and if you fail try again focus on school and do not worry about what others say most important of all love yourself, because what i have found is that people will love you back if you keep your heart open. as dad always says life is about the journey not the destination.

If I could go back and give myself advice I would first start off by telling myself to save all the money that I could. I would tell myself to take as many college courses in high school as I can to get a little ahead and the college courses in high school are free so it's stupid not to take the classes that you can. I would tell myself to slow down and to live more in the moment and not to just try and get the school year over with. Overall though I would really want to advise myself to apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible because now I am realizing how important it is to apply for them.

If I could go back to my senior year, I would tell myself that life gets better. In high school, I was pressured into taking the hardeset classes offered and I had no real friends or support from my family. College allowed me to find what I am truly passionate about and be content in my own abilities. It is also diverse enough that I made friends very easily based on shared interests. Looking back, I stressed for months about the application ad scholarship process, and I believed that once I had chosen a major or a set of classes that I would be bound to it forever. I would advise my high school self to relax and still do the best work that I can do, and to keep in mind that I have a great set of changes waiting for me in the future.

To talk to my former high school self would be incredibly useful. Back then, I let myself be manipulated into believing things about college that were untrue. Quite a few people in my life, people who are meant to bring you hope, brutally dashed mine. My plans came to a screeching halt and my life came to a standstill. My former self took other people into account far more than she did herself and it took its toll on my self esteem. I have since realized that, while it’s nice to have people believe in you, it’s more important to believe in yourself. Achieving my dreams means more to me than anyone knows and no one should try to take that away from me. My former self would have benefitted from knowing that, in the long run, it’s your life to do with what you will and the naysayers aren’t worth the space they rent in your head.

I would tell my high school self to apply for more scholarships and pick a college sooner. I know that its not a lot but if i had these things I would be better now than how I am.

Marisa

Don't worry so much about the career you can get as much as studying what you love. When choosing a degree you may be focused on career paths it can yield--instead, go towards your passions, do well in those, and you will succeed in ways you could not have foreseen.

Loranna

I would tell myself to be brave enough to stand up and be myself. I walked in to my first day of college unsure of whether or not I would fit in and now as I look back, I wonder why I ever cared. My university showed me that it was okay to be different and that my intelligence was nothing to be ashamed of. If I could tell myself what I know now, I would have walked in with my head held high and a smile on my face.

The college process seems scary and intimidating, but it's not nearly as bad as you think. Don't be afraid to ask questions and it's important to apply for every scholarship and financial aid form available to you. You never know what will pull through and what you will need later down the road to help pay for your education. Also, you will get offered federal loans. Try to do your best to not take one out, but if you must, go for the subsidized loan before the unsubsidized loan. With a subsidized loan, you won't be charged interest while you're still in school. Additionally, try to take as many college credit classes as you can while still in High School. It will save you thousands of dollars in the long run and could potentially help you graduate from college early. Even adding one college credit class to your schedule as a Senior can save you one to two thousand dollars. Just take a deep breath and remember that you aren't alone in this journey from High School to College.

Diana

The advice I would give myself I would tell myself to really think hard about what you want to be in a life and who you want to be. College is going to teach you so much about who you are and who you want to be. You arte going to meet some amazing friends and teachers along the way. However, it is important to have direction and focus. This is very important because it would save you time and money. If you loose your focus on school it can make you fail classes which you will have to retake and pay for all over again. So it would help if you get entusiatic in the begining and know what you want to be so you can stay on your path. Also believe in yourself and know you can do whatever you set your mind to. You may come up on some struggles but you will overcome them. Diana, just believe in yourself because you will graduate from Northern Kentucky Universtity in 2015!

Dear Megan, You received a full ride scholarship and you can consider me the ghost of education future. Everyone is created equally, and you have been given an amazing opportunity that many people your age don't receive in their lifetime. Don't spoil it. Take what you've earned in stride and use it to your advantage. Right now, you're going through life learning who you are but truth is, you'll never fully know who you are; you will always continue to learn and grow as long as you allow that process to continue. Never stop dreaming, never stop reaching for your goals, and never under ANY circumstances stop believing in yourself. Doubt will kill your dreams more than anything ever could. NEVER let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough or that you need to give up on your dreams. Not even someone you love. You're beautiful, and worth every star in the sky, every grain of sand on this Earth, and every atom of this universe. Never forget your worth and potential, princess. I will always be standing in your corner cheering you on. You're beautiful. Love always, future Megan <3

NKU has so much to offer and is a growing college! The opportunities moving forward are yours to be obtained with much hard work and determination. Living on campus at least the first year,provides great chances to meet new people, experience college life to the full, while eliminating travel time on the road back and forth from home to school so you can focus on studies and homework.

I know you're probably expecting that I'll give you all of the answers and secrets to success, but I'm afraid I don't have any advice or secrets that I'm going to tell you. I really don't believe that you can teach anyone (even yourself) how to make such a major life transition successfully; it's just something you have to experience for yourself. I know that you will make that transition and find your way, because I did, and I wouldn't change a thing. I suppose the only thing I would feel safe saying is that sometimes, if things don't work out the way you expect them to, it's okay. You'll get to exactly where you need to be, perhaps just not in the way you expect, and you'll also learn to be great both inside the classroom and outside it.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would beg myself to stay in school. When I was younger I thought the world was wide open to me and that I didn't need a degree to prove that I was worthy. While I still don't think the world is a horrible place I realize how much easier my life could have been if I had given myself every advantage that I could. Instead I am now a 31 year old woman, with a full time job, who dreams of being a biologist. When I started my schooling last year I was honestly a bit embarrassed, I felt like the mom of the class. Even though I am not nearly old enough to be any of my fellow students mother, I have so much more life experience , and it makes me feel a bit awkward. I could have avoided all this and enjoyed student life as a kid should if I had only started sooner. The last thing I would tell my ounger self is that you are smart enough, worthy enough to do whatever you want in life.

brandon

Dear Brandon Holstein high school senior class of 2011, I know you think now you're prepared for anything college can throw at you and for the most part you are, but there are some things you should know. First, for the love of god don’t just pick the major mom tells you to you have to do what you love or you'll hate it. Second, you're not as good at chemistry as you think you are and these classes are fast paced so ask for help before you get too far behind and can't catch up. Third, and most importantly regardless of what mom tells you can't handle an over full course load; 18 credit houses a semester is too much for you, stick to 14 or 15 you won't graduate in four years but it's worth the extra time so you can do your best in all your classes. I hope you'll take my advice it will help you succeed; I should know I had to get thru without it. With very best wishes, Brandon Holstein college junior from the year 2014

The advice I would give my high school self would be to develop study skills & to apply myself. In high school, I only had to study for foreign language classes, and I could get average grades in everything else without studying. If I had actually applied myself, I would have most likely gotten better grades, scored higher on my ACT and may have received more scholarships & grants to help pay for tuition as I am working full time while attending.