Northern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Northern Kentucky University

I wish I had understood there wasn't much student life happening during the day as I imagined there would be due to the large amount of commuter students. Because so many commute from Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky, it is also hard to make friends and maintain friendships because you might live over an hour away from them! It was tough making friends my first year because like many attending NKU, I showed up for classes and simply went home. However, this gives me more time to focus primarily on my studies instead of worry about my social life.

A LOT!! I was a teen mom so for me to say only one thing it just wouldn't be fare. I came from a small hillbilly town where everyone knew everyone and not too many people went to college. I figured I was living life "the right way". Boy did I have it all wrong! College is amazing and the small things such as sitting at Starbucks drinking a coffee while looking around at the wonderful people starving for education is mind blowing! NKU has changed my life and I can not wait to become a middle school teacher!

I wish that I would have known more about the volunteer opportunities in my first two years. I learned about places I could volunteer that could give me some experience in my career field but didn't have the time as I got closer to completing my degree. I wish that I would have opened up and tried more things so that I would have a better awarness of what I like. Now that I am in grad school I still don't have the best idea of what population I want to work with and would benefit from volunteering.

Before I came to this school I wish I had more knowledge about living on campus. It is an scary and exciting adventure being away from my home for the first time. Campus life is a whole new adventure the beginning to our future. This experience will help us develop our independence as a young adult. The best thing about the experience is that I am not alone, campus is full of students with thoughts and feelings like my own. There is so much to experience lets embrace it together.

Before attending Northern Kentucky University, I wish I would have known that I would meet some of the best people in my life, that I would fall in love with the school, have more memories that I will ever be able to count and that NKU will be the best thing that has ever happen to my friend and I. Being at NKU has taught me so much about myself as well as family, friends, and life itself. NKU has helped me grow and evolve into the person that I want and need to be in life.

I wish I would have known how windy the campus is. It sounds funny, but tI truly believe that NKU is the windiest place on earth. On a serious note, I wish I would have known that it is basically a commuter college. At first, it was hard to make friends because everyone lived at home and commuted to school. I live in the dorms, so it was hard to meet people that actually lived on campus. However, I do have friends both on and off campus, it just took a while to find them!

I feel like I was very well prepared before coming to NKU. I went to all of the different workshops and events that I could in order to prepare myself for my freshman year at NKU. However, if there is one thing I wish I would have know before coming to NKU it would have been to pack more lightly for dorm life. I packed way too much stuff to put in my dorm and I wish I would have know exactly how much space I was going to have before I packed so much.

I wish that I would have had a chance to know the campus more. Because of personal circumstances, I was unable to really get to know most of the University and concentrated on their volleyball and nursing programs. Therefore, in looking into this University and trying to decide if it is for you, I would strongly suggest looking into as many things as you can. Education and knowledge is power, and will allow you to make the best decision for you.

I feel I was inadequately prepared for exactly how different college life is compared to high school. In high school, an individual is given a fairly minimal amount of responsibility compared to the amount given to you in college. That's why I feel that so many students become overwhelmed at first, including myself. Had it not been for my advisor, my professors, and the wonderful health department, I may have not easily overcome such a hurdle.

One thing I wish I would have known before I came to NKU, would have to be that college is completely differant than high school. In high school it was so easy, you get easy A's. Most of the time you didn't work for the grade you recieved. On the other hand, college is the place that will make or break you. If you miss class or don't study. That's all on you. College is the place to tell you if you can make the cut in the real world.