Northern Kentucky University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern Kentucky University

Courtney

I absolutely love Northern Kentucky University. The atomosphere is amazing and very outgoing for all groups of people. I definitely recommend going to Northern kentucky University to anyone that is thinking about going here! Greek life is a big part of why I love NKU and I have met a lot of my best friends at this University!

Brian

Northern Kentucky University is an accepting university of diversity. The diversity is not just skin or gender, it is intellectual. Many students have different opinions about many topics ranging from politics to cars. The student and teacher base is primarily liberal but that is typical in the majority of colleges in the United States. The students at northern are friendly to freshman and if you ask most people will show you where to go. The professors are friendly and always willing to work with you if you want additional help.

Lesley

When I chose to attend Northern Kentucky University, I ultimately chose it because it was smaller and cheaper than most universities were. I felt as if I had to leave home, I didn’t want to be surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people. I learned how amazing Northern Kentucky University was after just a few days there. The campus is completely beautiful, especially during the summer. The class sizes are smaller and intimate, especially your lab classes. The class sizes and the professors really improve your chance to succeed. The professors are always available by email and have set regular office hours. Northern Kentucky University is amazing and if you choose to go there, you’ll fall in love with it too.

Jonathan

It’s a special school that I prematurely wrote off because of its size. There are more opportunities here than a larger school with the intimacy of a small school. The law school and other graduate programs offer higher education beyond undergraduate so I don’t see any reason to go anywhere else to prepare for a career.

Allison

I love it there! I love that it’s the happy medium of all college criteria. Not tiny but not huge, not in the middle of nowhere but not in the middle of a city. Not at home but close enough to visit my family every now and then. My professors have all been fantastic. The classes have been interesting and fun for the most part. It’s great!

Tatiana

It is a very inclusive campus and the students are united when something happens on campus. The staff and faculty are kind and there to help. There is also many service to help students succeed and graduate. Need friends? Living on campus is the way to go. There is always something to do and events to meet new people are organized by your resident assistance(RA). If you go Norse, you will never regret it.

Catherine

It is a great university if you're having it paid for or living on campus. However if you're just a normal person, with a normal job, and don't live on campus. There's not a lot of resources available with off campus housing assistance. Not a lot of grants, loans or scholarship options. Also if you haven't done college before, its more of a do it yourself, less of a step by step, and handing holding process.

Faith

I am very happy to be attending NKU. There are always professors and upperclassman willing to help you if you’re struggling. It wasn’t my first choice, but this school is very focused on how to improve students education. I am proud to be a Norse and am happy to call NKU my school.

Jason

This school centers around the student in every way. Through my experience so far, the advisors always make me feel like I'm the only student they have. Their immediate responses to my questions, knowledge, experience and student centric focus allows for maximum success for every student!

Shiann

It was a very beautiful and spacious school. Many people were hard at work studying for classes, doing homework or helping others. NKU housing was being extended and there was a new medical technology center being built for certain majors that they offer at NKU.

syara

I love that there is always something to do on campus and I feel welcomed in every setting I come across. The administration genuinely care about your well being and are there to answer all of your questions or point you to other resources that can help as well. Also, they offer many volunteer opportunities that I myself have participated in.

Sierra

Northern Kentucky University overall is great school, the community and ambience gives off a great feel. There are many things that you can join to be apart of the college itself. The university is constantly growing in size in students and in buildings.

Mary

Overall, NKU is a great place to be. I feel that I have flourished here, not just as a student but as a person. While it may not be perfect, the university has provided me with more than enough means to succeed in my area of study. It has also given me the opportunity to branch out and find more areas that spark my interest.

I am a transfer here and I absolutely love it! The professors are so easy to talk to and so personable and the other students are so nice! The campuses architecture is so gorgeous I love walking to classes and just looking at the scenery! Everything is also close and convenient and is easily accessible. I definitely made the right college choice!

Raymond

NKU is truly a great school. There is something for everyone, unless you're into partying or drinking. In which case, NKU isn't for you. Academics are at the forefront of all on-campus activities. You can go Greek if you like, but it's not too important.

Haley

I think that Northern Kentucky University is truly a unique place to further your education. Students and staff are very open and accepting of everyone as individuals. Clubs, Greek Life, and sports are all very important. Students are highly encouraged to get involved. To add to this, there is always something going on campus. Job fairs, ice skating rinks, free food and drinks, pop-up drag shows, dance parties, and more!

Olivia

I think that NKU is a great choice for college. We have so many majors to choose from, small class sizes, and a wonderful staff. There are so many people that I encounter on a daily basis and they are all very passionate about there careers and NKU. Northern Kentucky University is also a safe campus. There has never been a time I felt uncomfortable or unsafe while here. We are growing a tremendous amount and have recently achieved many great goals. The NKU basketball team was eligible to play in the NCAA tournament and got to play the first round. That was a big milestone. We are also adding a building on campus. There are so many great things about NKU and I would recommend this university to anyone.

Michayla

I'm a freshman this year, and from what I have learned is there are so many opportunities. Multiple clubs on campus and you can make your own with your friends. Teachers and advisors are always there to help and answer questions. The facilities are amazing and have everything you could possibly need. Housing is a little smaller than expected, but that’s okay.

Francesca

The arts program there at NKU is my main intreest, being able to express your musical abilities is everything to me. NKU makes SOTA a priority. They understand that without it we wouldnt be where we are today and I love NKU music is in the air.

Francesca

I believe NKU is a pretty decent community college feel kind of school. However, in all honesty I would recommend it for anyone seeking a fun college experience. It is more about work than it is about having fun. Honestly it is very boring. Go to UC.

Claire

Awesome, I feel as though Northern Kentucky University gives off a safe environment for every student. Northern Kentucky University makes freshman year not as stressful, giving students opportunities for anything they could be interested in, like sports or clubs.

Chloe

NKU is a really great school because it offers plenty of opportunities for everyone. The size of the school is large and diverse enough so that it is likely that you'll find whatever your looking for in terms of extracurriculars, academics, sports, friends, and more. The campus is beautiful and well-kept, and all of the facilities are practical and welcoming. If you'd like to study abroad, NKU has an amazing variety of opportunities as well. NKU is a school that listens to its students and adjusts itself accordingly.

Baleigh

I love NKU. I love that my class sizes are small enough to get to talk with my professors one on one and feel like I am worth something! I love that they are so understanding when it comes to being a commuter and if the weather is bad or the roads are bad, they are super good about getting us information without risking our lives to come to class!

This university provides niches for all students. I can always get involved and have the faculty support and help no matter the cost. NKU offers many programs and classes to benefit every student and leave their way to success. Teachers are almost always available before or after class for extra help, and always put their students first. I couldn't ask for a better rounded school than Northern Kentucky University.

Natalie

I am in love with this school. There are tons of opportunities to get involved. The professors are always willing to help and no matter where you go you will run into people you know. I would highly recommend Northern Kentucky University to anyone going to college.

Alyya

I believe that Northern Kentucky University is a organized, diverse , and safe campus. I do think that there are some thing's that the school can improve on, but overall it is a really good school. This university also allows students to create their own organizations and they also have a lot of other actives for students to do so that they will be involved on campus.

There is a lot to get involved with on NKU’s campus and it is a good school. The facilities are for the most part nice but I wished the online campus housing for the first years could be better. Also the food options for campus are lacking. There’s like 7 places to eat on campus.

Erica

I can't speak for the undergrad program, but I hated their law school. There are really only a few well written, well educated professors. The professors will never admit to it, but they did an experiment with our entering class that none of us consented to. We were divided into two sections. One section had open book/note exams and the other had closed exams. They all talked about how their bar passage rates were dropping and how to better. I am sorry but my education is not yours to toy with. Transferred out of that $#¡@ hole and never looking back!

Knijia

My overall opinion of NKU is it’s a good school. It’s diversed and seems like there’s a place for everyone there. The campus is beautiful. The classroom sizes are good. If you want to be involved, there’s always something to fit your hobby and or skills. It’s home away from home for most of its students.

Cody

I would say my overall opionion is a positive one. I feel the school offers a wide variety of programs for every type of student regardless of sex, gender, race, religion, and culture. They are extremely well rounded with making sure everyone is happy and safe and no one has is segregated against because of a difference. The professors go out of their way to make sure youre okay and getting through there class. The school is kind of cold in the winter, but other than that parking isnt to bad. And campus activities are always happening.

Lesley

If there were three words that I could use to describe NKU, they would be, "diverse but unified." We have a little bit of everything here, and our diverse cultures help to make us who we are. No matter what a person believes, what a person spends their free time doing or what they identify as, they are accepted and loved here. NKU almost feels as if it's a safe haven, it's a place where you can be yourself without judgement.

Shania

I live 45 minutes south of NKU so this school has always been on my list of places to go. I've always heard rumors of "it's a concrete jungle" and "there's there not many activities on campus" which has always feared me to go to school here. I never took a tour because for some reason it just felt right, they had the major I wanted and that was enough for me, it was just school. When I came on campus, I fell in love with it. The life on campus is so openminded as well ad there is a lot of nature. All of the professors have the same goal and that is to help you to succeed at whatever means necessary. Te food on campus has a variety of options and not to mention the campus rec center was just remodeled and one of the best that I have seen.

Bailey

Northern Kentucky University is the largest school in the area with the most diversity, artistry, and community that I've seen. I went to a predominantly white high school with very conservative teachers. Once I came to NKU, I was suddenly met with a tapestry of different ethnic backgrounds, different languages, different sexualities, and different religions. Although I may not be a part of the LGBTQ+ community, I am a strong supporter of it. Any LGBTQ+ students at NKU do not have to worry about harassment or discrimination. After two years, I've yet to meet a student who agreed with such things. Professors, particularly those associated with the arts, are always open and accepting of students with lifestyles different from their own. I remember on the first day of my theatre class, the professor asked us which pronouns we preferred so he would not be offending anyone when he referred to them. The biggest downside to the campus I can think of is that once every semester, a branch of the Westboro Baptist Church comes to protest on our grounds. The campus believes in freedom of speech, no matter who's speaking. However, once the protestors leave, the LGBTQ+ community comes to the place where the protestors were and draw chalk murals filled with messages of love and acceptance. Some even write messages contradicting what Westboro had been saying; things like: "God LOVES you, for He made you in His image." I, personally, am not religious, but seeing that always brings a tear to my eye after having to walk by such loud hate-speakers. Those days when the murals are drawn are always special, no matter your sexuality or gender identity. Despite what sometimes happens on campus, I feel NKU's sense of acceptance, tolerance, and community is what pulls it through. In my eyes, it's what makes me happy I chose it as the place to receive my higher education.

Nicholas

It is a great school to earn a quality education. They offer a huge variety of programs and extracurricular activities. It is a very diverse school and is very respectful of other peoples faiths, cultures, and hobbies. Their advising could be better, but their programs are well put together.

haley

I LOVE Northern Kentucky University and have never regretted my choice of choosing this college. I feel like I have a voice and all of my professors truly care about me. Their Greek Life is fantastic and is incredibly Panhellenic and supportive of all.

Sydney

Northern Kentucky University, previously considered a commuter school is quickly becoming a great option for students looking for the full college experience. Degree options are increasing, and while academics are demanding they help to provide excellent career opportunity. Campus life and college spirit are alive and well, as are the constantly improving facilities available on campus.

Autumn

I knew when I first stepped foot on the campus it was my home! The small class sizes are amazing and the teachers and advisors really care about students. The campus is updated often and we are a very inclusive school! The community and education are the highest caliber! Go Norse!!

Arianna

Overall, northern Kentucky University is an amazing school. Everyone gets along and are willing to help everyone. The class sizes are great and teachers are always helpful. I recommend this school to everyone. The school and people are very welcoming and they will make sure you have the time of your life. NKU provides free resources such as free books at the lending library and free tutoring sessions as frequently as you may like.

Alyssa

Nku is a fantastic institution. There is Greek life and plenty of organizations to join. Greek life is big because the fraternities and sororities are like a big family. They all work together and get along. Even though Greek life is big, it is not everything. There are plenty of other clubs and organizations to join. The academics are great as there are many majors/minors to choose from. The area is fun and safe too.

Kennedi

Northern Kentucky University has been the most amazing college. It's not too big, but it's not small. It is the perfect size. Within that, class sizes are also on the smaller side with 15-30 people typically in a class. The professors are great and are alway there to help. The people are so accepting and great as well. Everyone makes you fee like you are an important person on campus and I haven't seem any mean people on campus. Everyone smiles and enjoys the campus as much as I do.

casey

It is a great school. I feel a lot safer here than I did at UC. The professors are always there to help and very accommodating if you misunderstood directions on an assignment. The food on campus is great as well. I like that there is a large variety so there is something for everyone.

Peyton

Northern Kentucky University is a growing University, in which has drastically expanded with numerous construction projects, offering a wider range of majors and a larger, more diverse student body. It offers a multitude of facilities designed to help students through their educational journey in college. The campus is constantly updating with new buildings as well as making a home-like environment for its students. It also offers a variety of majors, minors in addition to many recreational activities and clubs. As a first year student, I have enjoyed my college experience so far and am excited to continue the pat to my future and Northern Kentucky University.

Annie

Overall, Northern Kentucky University is a great school. I've grown exponentially from a personal and academic standpoint. Advising can be inconsistent in the sense that not all advisors are pro-active and helpful. Tuition is fair, student body is diverse, and the possibilities are endless. NKU also offers a brand new, state of the art, recreational facility. In addition to these perks, classes are small which gives students the opportunity to build relationships with their peers and professors.

CHRISTOPHER

Being an online-only student I am not much of an authority on-campus life. Living around 4 hours away, I have not even visited the campus. My review is strictly for their online programs, which are becoming a very important aspect of higher education as more students are forced to work full-time while attending school. I am also a non-traditional student. As someone who holds down a full-time job in a field unrelated to my major, a father, and a husband a 100% online experience is a must. Previously I had attended a local community college and tried my hand at another university through their online program. To say I was unimpressed is an understatement. There was little support from advisers, the professors seemed uninterested in students they could not meet in person, and the requirements for the degree were not clearly stated upfront. I was apprehensive about attending a school that I had heard little about, but they offered the program I was looking for and I decided it was worth a chance. I am one semester away from graduating now and the entire process has been positive. The requirements for the program were clearly laid out before I committed to anything, the advisers have answered emails often within minutes of my sending them, instructors have been very clear on what is expected, and there have been no surprises. My only complaint is with the availability of online classes. Each semester their history department offers a wide variety of classes for on-campus students. Many of these classes, which dealt with specific topics in history, I would have enjoyed and I believe would have enhanced my knowledge on pertinent subjects. Unfortunately, many of these classes were offered in class only and those that were available online filled up quickly. I would have loved to have the opportunity to take more of these classes. From what I understand, most colleges are in this situation but it seems to me that if you are offering a 100% online degree all available classes should be offered to the students in the program. Hopefully, this is something that will get better with time. Overall I highly recommend Northern Kentucky University for anyone interested in a 100% online program in history. I have never felt that my education has suffered because I was unable to attend classes on campus nor have I ever felt like a second class student because I was not on campus. The instructors do their jobs and grade most assignments within days along with useful feedback. My adviser has gone above and beyond with the help she has provided. Often she has spent an hour or more on the phone with me while signing up for classes. The financial aid office is often maligned at universities since they are the perceived keepers of the money, but I can honestly say that they never did anything that I could complain about. The university seems to have a good thing going, at least as far as their history program goes, and I will be proud to have graduated from NKU.

Tanisha

NKU is a great place that is close to home and it is the only college I've liked. granted, i only went to one beforehand but i honestly cannot picture myself anywhere else. I have friends from high school here which make it all the more comfortable. I do wish the beds were more comfortable though because they are very hard and stale.

My college experience at Northern Kentucky University has been wonderful so far. I love the environment. I feel very safe and relaxed everywhere I go. The staff and students are very friendly. I also enjoy and make use of all the academic support they offer.

aya

i like my school and my professors.

Kat

It was okay. In the Theatre Department they definitely only cater to certain "favorite" students which was extremely annoying. They also coddle people and I really wish they would have been honest so I could have, ya know, actually learned something maybe. I will say Tracey Bonner and her dance department are FANTASTIC and more attention should be put on the dance program. Also Stephanie Brummer is a wonderful dance professor and I grew and learned so much from her.

Marissa

I think Nku is a really Fantastic school! The campus is not too large nor too small. Its the perfect size in my opinion. All the professors I have had, have been fanominal, I think only one or two weren't the best. However I am in my Junior year and only one or two professor not being the best is actually really good. I just love how the professors really care and they understand how stressful college life is. The only downside is the Financial l Aid department, the customer service is not the best and honestly the people working there seem to not know the answer when I asked them questions. The other issue is it is quite hard to get a scholarship from Nku, you have to rely on outside sources. But overall my experience here has been quite delightful.

Abby

I've enjoyed my time at NKU. I think there are a lot of things they could improve on, like food options or on campus involvement, but we have all of the basics. I'm earning my degree, getting real life experience, and it's all for a reasonable price.