Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

NMU is in a beautiful area, there is so much to do outdoors. I have had good experiences and excellent professors. The reason I only rated Northern Michigan University 3 out 5 is because lately it has felt like the university has been overcharging and putting unnecessary fees to overcharge students because of their debt. Even with these extra charges it does not feel like equipment and supplies are being updated, rather the money is getting poured into the presidents office. Besides these issues, the professors are hands on and very involved, and there are countless opportunities to improve your learning.

Northern Michigan University is comprised of a laid-back atmosphere with caring professors. While it does snow quite a bit throughout the year, it is manageable. The community is a great asset and while a real shopping center is three hours away, it doesn't hinder day-to-day life.

Maddie

I absolutely love it! The teachers are amazing. I love the environment. I love that it is right on the lake. I love that people are so extremely friendly. The small class size is great. Your instructors genuinely want you to succeed. I know that I will have an amazing career after Northern.

Shelby

It is a really nice community, with lots of opportunities for involvement as long as your willing to put yourself out there. There are a lot of great places to adventure not very from campus. Marquette is a perfectly sized town to go shopping in if you're not in the mood to be very active. It's a very safe environment, everyone seems so friendly :)

Northern, my home away from home

Northern, my home away from home

I feel welcome here, everyone talks to everyone. People you don't even know will say hi as you pass. It's a very positive environment and there is always someone you can talk to. I wouldn't have chosen another place to go.

The biggest thing I brag about to my friends about Northern is that Lake Superior is only a ten minute walk from campus. Being surrounded by such a beautiful part of nature is something that I take great pride in bragging about. Another thing I tend to brag about is the fact that every student at Northern gets a laptop for school. They include it in our tuition, but it's one less thing we have to worry about as they get ready for move-in day.

Alexandria

Going back to High school would be a blessing and a curse. As much as I enjoyed high school I feel that I did my absolute best and appreciate how hard I worked while there. I used my time well and went with higher education instead of slacking off. If there was one thing I wish I could have told myself it would be to focus more in the health field and learn my medical terminology a bit better, spend more time on my math skills and continue to enjoy the less stressful days. I did graduate in the top ten percent and was very college oriented. But allowing me to focus more in my field would have benefited my direction in college.

This school gets their financial aid information mixed up a lot and they don't have it organized at all.

The people in this area are the nicest people I have ever met! I love the community.

Nicoleq

Comeing to NMU has been the best decision I've ever made. I was drawn to the UP with the environment and the community - but have stayed and strived because of the fantastic, though at times very challenging, educational system. I have grown academically and as a human being since moving to Marquette.

You get a mixed bag of characters at Northen Michigan University. A large portion have come here for the same reason as I did, for adventure a knowledge. I have had fascinating and fun conversations and relationships with many of my fellow students.

Courtney

Northern Michigan University is a good school for the amount of money you pay.

Northern Michigan University is a good school for the amount of money you pay.

My school is best known for its hockey team.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to explore as many fields as possible while in high school to help determine what career path I should choose. I feel that if I had emersed myself more into a variety of activities in different fields, I would have had a better understanding of myself. In the end, this could have saved me money by eliminating a year of college since I changed my major multiple times.

At this time of the year, my classmates still want to learn and come to school but they are also worn out and want to go home...

If I could go back and talk to my former self, I would advise three things: one start looking into college now don't wait untill sencond semster because you'll regret it. Two save as much money as you possibly can because once you are out taking care of business on your own, you'll be suprised how fast money flies out of your pocket. And last but not least; spend as much time as possible with everyone. Get over the fights quicker, be open and honest about everything and just enjoy eachothers company because before you know it all the little things that use to annoy you, aren't around anymore and it's lonely. A year from now when you are sitting here writing this response, trying to get money for school, I know you would rather say you have no regrets and that if you went back you'd do it all again. College is fun but I could've made it easier and less stressful on myself if I had me to tell what I did wrong.

The things I brag most about are the oppertunities, nature and starbucks. My school offers pretty much every single major and minor that one could think of and it has hundreds of clubs; so everyone can find their people and feel like they are truly a part of something. Marquette is extremely beautiful and surrounded by nature. A few weeks ago was my favorite time because of all the fall colors presented by the trees. Lastly our ID cards come with prepaid money so we can get free starbucks over by the Learning Resource Center.

My college has an office specifically for helping it's students find jobs that will fit around there class schedule. which is very helpful because not only is it hard to find a job with no work experience but it's also hard to find a job that would fit around your own individual class schedule.

If I could go back to the begining of my senior year and give myself advice; it would be not to be scared. I was scared of growing up and moving out so I put off college to the very last minute and that was a huge mistake. I wish I would've known that the transition isn't as scary and horrible as I predicted, wish I knew that growing up and figuring out how to be on my own was revitalizing and gives me a sense of independence not fear. I wish I would've started this process sooner instead of havening to search for scholarships to find money for school at the very last minute instead of relaxing. I wish I hadn't been so scared; I wish I could go back and tell myself that everything would be okay in the end and to take a hold of my life instead of watching it go by.

I wish I would have known that they had limits on how much student loans a freshman can get. I'm only allowed 5,000 and my tuition is 18.000 so I have to look for a lot scholarships. Which is not the easiest thing in the world, especially since I have a late summer birthday and most of them require you to be 18.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.