Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

RaeAnne

College was never something viewed as attainable. Once I started attending Kirkwood Community College I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I'm in a direct transfer program to the University of Northern Iowa for Educational Social Science and am excited to see where my degree with take me. Kirkwood is a great place to start and has allowed me to experience adulthood and a little bit more of my independence.

Annemarie

My classmates are energetic and willing to learn.

My classmates are energetic and willing to learn.

I have been going to college for less than a year now and have already learned how valuable my education is. As a first year student I have classes with many students the same status and age as myself. But along with us, there are a few older first year students. Talking to these older students who have decided to finally get their degree, I learned just how important my educaton is. Each one of them gave me this advice, "don't wait on education, it's what going to take you places". "All our dreams can come true-if we have the courage to pursue them" this quote by Walt Disney sums up how valuable my experience at college has been so far.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the class sizes. Sometimes, the classes are so big that the teachers don't know you on a name to name basis. Other than that my school is great.

Krystle

My main goal was to complete college and get a degree. I am halfway through already and all the classes and experiences I was able to obtain from college have helped with such. I have been able to better socialize and succeed in life. College education has been a great value in my life because I believe this will lead me to an excellent career and better lifestyle.

Marissa

Northern Michigan is known for it's hockey team. We are a Division 2 school, with a Division 1 hockey team. As a small school of about 10,000 students, our hockey team is fantastic and can beat the best of the best, such as Ohio State University and University of Michigan.

I've become more of an indepent person by coming to Northern. Not only have I become more independent, but I have also grow as a person and am finiding who I am. Northern Michigan University is a friendly campus where if you need help, any student walking by will help you, professors are willing to work with their students to make the best experience that they can for them. Professors care if their students pass. NMU is valuable to attend because every person will change for the better and grow into adults with the help of their peers.

Events are not talked about. Most schools parties, games, and activities around the school are discussed and broadcasted, but as a student, you rarely hear about these things. You must have connections to people who throw the parties, or look up yourself when games are.

Out of college so far I have learned so much more than just the acedemics I came to pursue. I came to the campus to study Mathematics and have, in the process of studying, became a Resident Advisor. My RA from last year was kind to me and the professors around me have always encouraged my involvement in activities within school and outside of school. There are several opportunities to show off my Math research and if there is a class I need to take that is not offered, the professors work with me to offer it. Northern has allowed me to develope both as a student and a person within a safe and secure enviroment. For all intensive purposes, NMU has offered me the perfect college experience. I would not trade a moment of this time at college for any other experience a school has to offer.

I wish I would have known more about the campus it self. I was not able to make it to any of the campus tours, so when I arrived to the campus I was unsure as to where the variety of buildings were. this, however, allowed me to meet many people by asking them where classes are and where which buildings they were in.

Perhaps the worst thing about this school is the lack of racial diversity. This is in no part because the school attempts to iscolate or is racist, however, going to a school so far north, does tend to deter many people from coming. The lack of racial variety tends to iscolate those of a different race who do come to Northern. The students do not do this on purpose, however, it does tend to happen. The school is working to fix this though.

Northern MIchigan University is a great school to go to if you are looking for a school that focuses on meeting friends you will have the rest of your life!

Over the course of the last few years of college I have recieved friends that will last me a life time. Not only have I received great friends, but I have established an ambition to push myself to attain a degree in what I really love. As of right now I have to complete a doctorates degree to obtain this goal of mine. To some people, eight years sounds like a lot of time. But to me, it feels like its right around the corner especially since I know when that day comes when I am working in the profession that I want, I will be happy and not settling with a job that was easy to attain. I know attending college has been valuable to attend because it has and will be beneficial to me now and in the future. I've also learned from attending college that you will run into people that you may not like or even want to interact with. Although, this type of experience of going away to college will help you learn how to deal with the situations in a manner that is appropriate.

The most common person to attend Northern Michigan University are people who can tolerate the cold because it snows from October to April and people who are willing to get a dirty by participating in activities outside.

Grace

Northern Michigan is pretty laid back and outdoorsey- expect snow. Lots of unexpected perks like suite-style dorms (two dorms share 1 bathroom), laptop computers included with tuition, and free laundry.

I am recieving the tools I need to work in my chosen fields of Illustration and Creative Writing. Attending a University like NMU allowed me to recieve quality education in both fields, and also to enrich myself by taking courses outside my discipline that I found interesting and fulfilling. I've enjoyed integrating into the Marquette community, and going to school here gives me an appreciation for the value of a small city with a lot of personality.

Someone who can't deal with cold weather or finds shopping and high fashion very important.

Holly

Northern Michigan University may be 100 miles from anywhere but one foot on campus and you will realize you are home.

The college experience for me as been a life-changing learn experience. I haven't just learned about biology and chemistry but also how to respect others and have the ability to see the other side of the story. It has taught me that nothing in life should simply be given but should be earned and respected.

I don't feel that any person should not attend school. I think a person needs to have somewhat clear cut goals before entering school and whether it is just to gain a better perspective on an area of study or high career pursuits. I also think that a person needs to have a respect for the intuition for which they are attending and realize that while higher education is a privilege it is not a right and needs to be respected.

Christian

Northern Michigan is beautiful. I always loved coming up here as a kid for summer camp and vacations. If you feel the same way about the Upper Peninsula you should think twice. Living here is a much different story. Not that it is in any way horrible, but when you are used to the suburbs of Chicago it is difficult to adjust. The administration is great here. Although I'm only a freshmen my teachers so far have been really helpful and very intelligent. The town of Marquette itself has stuff to do, but nothing sensational. You have to love the Outdoors to really enjoy the college experience here. It doesn't feel like there are 8,000 undergrad.

NMU is not racially diverse at all. It is definitely a mostly white school. Being a cheap Michigan public school means a lot of students don't come from well off families. LGBT is big here. Annually NMU hosts the largest drag show in the UP. The art department here draws a lot of unique artsy individuals which make the student body fairly interesting. And of course Uppers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

To keep it short, I am transferring next year. The only reason I would discourage someone from going here is is they like the city, and/or someone who wants a more rigorous academic career. However if you are smart and strapped for cash and want to stick out 4 years in the middle of nowhere then go for it. You'll probably be able to graduate with a 3.50 or up and a barrage of impressive extracurriculars (because if you don't fill your extra time with being involved you will get bored) to put on your resume.

For the most part, yes the stereotypes are true. UP winters are winters you aren't likely to forget. Marquette is small, so don't be fooled by US News and World Report when they say it is Urban. And basically everyone who applies gets in, which makes for a very unambitious student body.

NMU can give you a great education is you can put up with all of the bellow average students around you. My GenEd required English class was easier than my freshmen year of high school English class, yet nearly a quarter of my class this year dropped the class due to the fact that they didn't think they could pass it. If you are a motivated student NMU can provide you with a lot of opportunities. They treat the creme of the the crop very well here, and I know there has been discussion within the board of trustees as to how they might increase the problem of having so many below average student. If you are involved in the nursing department be ready for an extremely competitive atmosphere. Other than the nursing department the students here tend to now be very bright and don't usually have anything witty or intelligent to say.

Drinking is pretty big here. People usually either spend their weekends doing nothing or drinking. It's not a party school though. The drinking is very low key. Again, if you like the outdoors you'll never run out of things to do here. In the summer you can go to the beach, swim, hike, rock climb, bike, run, ect. and in the winter you can ski, snowboard, snow shoe, ice fish, ice skate, etc. Greek is barely ever heard about here, but it exists if that's what you want.

It's in the middle of nowhere. Everyone gets in. COLD.

My classmates want to learn, and love to have fun!

My classmates want to learn, and love to have fun!

As I am still in the beginning of my college experience, I have learned to be more independent. I love the whole experience that I am taking in, and everyone trys to help in anyway they can. The school itself is not huge and is quite personable.

The person who cant stand the outdoors. Marquette is such a beautiful city! If you dont like to watch the leaves change, play in the snow, or just our planet in its most natural state then NMU is not right for you. The town itself is also fun and small. There are activites to do there as well. But, if you are used to a large city this can be a cultre shock!

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.