Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

Cassandra

My classmates are very supportive. They work hard at what they do and they are always willing to help each other out.

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice it would be to stay true to oneself. College is the time to try new things, but it’s important to be able to decipher what is going to have a positive versus a negative effect on oneself. There are many pressures in college, and it’s important to keep your values and morals when making decisions, decisions that could ultimately affect you for the rest of your life. Be who you want to be, but don’t let others decide for you. If I could give myself another piece of advice it would be to find a good balance. College isn’t just about doing schoolwork, but it’s also not just about making new friends. Work hard in school to get good grades, but take breaks to go hang out with others and do fun activities. It will help keep you sane, especially around exam time! And last but not least, have fun! College is a wonderful experience and a time to experience things on our own. Live, laugh, and make memories. And one more thing: don’t forget to take pictures!

The worst thing about my school would have to be the amount of partying that goes on. While it doesn't take place on campus, it is distracting when people come back from the weekend and are drunk. But, you will most likely find partyers at any college.

Liddia

I gotten a sense of responsibility from attending college so far. because this is the first time of been on my own. Futhermore, finishing my first semester with a overall gpa of 3.63 also gave me a boost of confidence that I can and will continue to do well in college.

The best thing about my school is the size of it. A smaller campus equals a smaller population, smaller classes, and a more successful me because my teachers are more available to help me if I need it.

My school is more personal. Since Northern Michigan University is a small campus, the teacher-student relationship is more personal. It's also nice and relaxing environment. There are many outdoor activities to get involved in such as snowboarding.

Meghan

I have yet to begin my college experience, but I do know that it will be of great importance to me. The University I have applied to, and hopefully will attend, is far too expensive for me to afford. It has been my dream school ever since I was 14 years old. As well as applying to my requested school, I also have planned on becoming a Physical Therapist ever since then and have stuck to the intended profession to this very day. I know that my attendance at the Ohio State University will be of great value to me and for my future career and life. This scholarship would help in more ways than one, and I would be eternally greatful for your support in pushing me one step closer to my dream.

RaeAnne

College was never something viewed as attainable. Once I started attending Kirkwood Community College I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I'm in a direct transfer program to the University of Northern Iowa for Educational Social Science and am excited to see where my degree with take me. Kirkwood is a great place to start and has allowed me to experience adulthood and a little bit more of my independence.

Annemarie

My classmates are energetic and willing to learn.

My classmates are energetic and willing to learn.

I have been going to college for less than a year now and have already learned how valuable my education is. As a first year student I have classes with many students the same status and age as myself. But along with us, there are a few older first year students. Talking to these older students who have decided to finally get their degree, I learned just how important my educaton is. Each one of them gave me this advice, "don't wait on education, it's what going to take you places". "All our dreams can come true-if we have the courage to pursue them" this quote by Walt Disney sums up how valuable my experience at college has been so far.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the class sizes. Sometimes, the classes are so big that the teachers don't know you on a name to name basis. Other than that my school is great.

Krystle

My main goal was to complete college and get a degree. I am halfway through already and all the classes and experiences I was able to obtain from college have helped with such. I have been able to better socialize and succeed in life. College education has been a great value in my life because I believe this will lead me to an excellent career and better lifestyle.

Marissa

Northern Michigan is known for it's hockey team. We are a Division 2 school, with a Division 1 hockey team. As a small school of about 10,000 students, our hockey team is fantastic and can beat the best of the best, such as Ohio State University and University of Michigan.

I've become more of an indepent person by coming to Northern. Not only have I become more independent, but I have also grow as a person and am finiding who I am. Northern Michigan University is a friendly campus where if you need help, any student walking by will help you, professors are willing to work with their students to make the best experience that they can for them. Professors care if their students pass. NMU is valuable to attend because every person will change for the better and grow into adults with the help of their peers.

Events are not talked about. Most schools parties, games, and activities around the school are discussed and broadcasted, but as a student, you rarely hear about these things. You must have connections to people who throw the parties, or look up yourself when games are.

Out of college so far I have learned so much more than just the acedemics I came to pursue. I came to the campus to study Mathematics and have, in the process of studying, became a Resident Advisor. My RA from last year was kind to me and the professors around me have always encouraged my involvement in activities within school and outside of school. There are several opportunities to show off my Math research and if there is a class I need to take that is not offered, the professors work with me to offer it. Northern has allowed me to develope both as a student and a person within a safe and secure enviroment. For all intensive purposes, NMU has offered me the perfect college experience. I would not trade a moment of this time at college for any other experience a school has to offer.

I wish I would have known more about the campus it self. I was not able to make it to any of the campus tours, so when I arrived to the campus I was unsure as to where the variety of buildings were. this, however, allowed me to meet many people by asking them where classes are and where which buildings they were in.

Perhaps the worst thing about this school is the lack of racial diversity. This is in no part because the school attempts to iscolate or is racist, however, going to a school so far north, does tend to deter many people from coming. The lack of racial variety tends to iscolate those of a different race who do come to Northern. The students do not do this on purpose, however, it does tend to happen. The school is working to fix this though.

Northern MIchigan University is a great school to go to if you are looking for a school that focuses on meeting friends you will have the rest of your life!

Over the course of the last few years of college I have recieved friends that will last me a life time. Not only have I received great friends, but I have established an ambition to push myself to attain a degree in what I really love. As of right now I have to complete a doctorates degree to obtain this goal of mine. To some people, eight years sounds like a lot of time. But to me, it feels like its right around the corner especially since I know when that day comes when I am working in the profession that I want, I will be happy and not settling with a job that was easy to attain. I know attending college has been valuable to attend because it has and will be beneficial to me now and in the future. I've also learned from attending college that you will run into people that you may not like or even want to interact with. Although, this type of experience of going away to college will help you learn how to deal with the situations in a manner that is appropriate.

The most common person to attend Northern Michigan University are people who can tolerate the cold because it snows from October to April and people who are willing to get a dirty by participating in activities outside.

Grace

Northern Michigan is pretty laid back and outdoorsey- expect snow. Lots of unexpected perks like suite-style dorms (two dorms share 1 bathroom), laptop computers included with tuition, and free laundry.

I am recieving the tools I need to work in my chosen fields of Illustration and Creative Writing. Attending a University like NMU allowed me to recieve quality education in both fields, and also to enrich myself by taking courses outside my discipline that I found interesting and fulfilling. I've enjoyed integrating into the Marquette community, and going to school here gives me an appreciation for the value of a small city with a lot of personality.

Someone who can't deal with cold weather or finds shopping and high fashion very important.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.