Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

Holly

Northern Michigan University may be 100 miles from anywhere but one foot on campus and you will realize you are home.

The college experience for me as been a life-changing learn experience. I haven't just learned about biology and chemistry but also how to respect others and have the ability to see the other side of the story. It has taught me that nothing in life should simply be given but should be earned and respected.

I don't feel that any person should not attend school. I think a person needs to have somewhat clear cut goals before entering school and whether it is just to gain a better perspective on an area of study or high career pursuits. I also think that a person needs to have a respect for the intuition for which they are attending and realize that while higher education is a privilege it is not a right and needs to be respected.

Christian

Northern Michigan is beautiful. I always loved coming up here as a kid for summer camp and vacations. If you feel the same way about the Upper Peninsula you should think twice. Living here is a much different story. Not that it is in any way horrible, but when you are used to the suburbs of Chicago it is difficult to adjust. The administration is great here. Although I'm only a freshmen my teachers so far have been really helpful and very intelligent. The town of Marquette itself has stuff to do, but nothing sensational. You have to love the Outdoors to really enjoy the college experience here. It doesn't feel like there are 8,000 undergrad.

NMU is not racially diverse at all. It is definitely a mostly white school. Being a cheap Michigan public school means a lot of students don't come from well off families. LGBT is big here. Annually NMU hosts the largest drag show in the UP. The art department here draws a lot of unique artsy individuals which make the student body fairly interesting. And of course Uppers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

To keep it short, I am transferring next year. The only reason I would discourage someone from going here is is they like the city, and/or someone who wants a more rigorous academic career. However if you are smart and strapped for cash and want to stick out 4 years in the middle of nowhere then go for it. You'll probably be able to graduate with a 3.50 or up and a barrage of impressive extracurriculars (because if you don't fill your extra time with being involved you will get bored) to put on your resume.

For the most part, yes the stereotypes are true. UP winters are winters you aren't likely to forget. Marquette is small, so don't be fooled by US News and World Report when they say it is Urban. And basically everyone who applies gets in, which makes for a very unambitious student body.

NMU can give you a great education is you can put up with all of the bellow average students around you. My GenEd required English class was easier than my freshmen year of high school English class, yet nearly a quarter of my class this year dropped the class due to the fact that they didn't think they could pass it. If you are a motivated student NMU can provide you with a lot of opportunities. They treat the creme of the the crop very well here, and I know there has been discussion within the board of trustees as to how they might increase the problem of having so many below average student. If you are involved in the nursing department be ready for an extremely competitive atmosphere. Other than the nursing department the students here tend to now be very bright and don't usually have anything witty or intelligent to say.

Drinking is pretty big here. People usually either spend their weekends doing nothing or drinking. It's not a party school though. The drinking is very low key. Again, if you like the outdoors you'll never run out of things to do here. In the summer you can go to the beach, swim, hike, rock climb, bike, run, ect. and in the winter you can ski, snowboard, snow shoe, ice fish, ice skate, etc. Greek is barely ever heard about here, but it exists if that's what you want.

It's in the middle of nowhere. Everyone gets in. COLD.

My classmates want to learn, and love to have fun!

My classmates want to learn, and love to have fun!

As I am still in the beginning of my college experience, I have learned to be more independent. I love the whole experience that I am taking in, and everyone trys to help in anyway they can. The school itself is not huge and is quite personable.

The person who cant stand the outdoors. Marquette is such a beautiful city! If you dont like to watch the leaves change, play in the snow, or just our planet in its most natural state then NMU is not right for you. The town itself is also fun and small. There are activites to do there as well. But, if you are used to a large city this can be a cultre shock!

Heather

My college experience has allowed me to grow socially and academically. I enjoy going to class and networking with everyone around me as well as gaining knowledge on subjects, ideas, and opions I would not have if I didnt attend college.

Lack of direction, not a lot of help on directing you on the right path to a career.

chelsea

ive otten that if i set my mind to something i can succeed with everything i got.

i wish i had known of all the snow during the winter and i would be doing a lot of walking.

there really isnt anything bad at my school that i have found so far.

Ciera

I've gotten so much life experience from attending college. Northern Michigan University is nine hours away from my family. I was forced to become a stronger person and depend solely on myself. I can always ask for advice, but every decision I make is completely in my hands and its both an amazing and terrifying feeling. I was taken completely out of my comfort zone and that alone has opened my eyes and broadened my perspective to see that there is so much more to life than just existing in my little bubble and thats valuable enough for me. I'm glad with my decision to attend this school because a small city definitely has its benefits. There is a sense of security here that I haven't felt anywhere else. Eventhough Marquette, MI isn't diverse, the residents here still have a very unique culture among themselves and I would have never been exposed to that had I not chosen this university.

If a students interests include snowboarding, skateboarding, rock climbing or any and all things athletic and outdoorsy, then this would be the ideal place to attend. Any interest or possible major in Sports & Recreation or a subject pertaining to nature would also make this school a good fit. A person from a small town might find it alot easier to adjust going to this university because its a bigger city, but its definitely not overwhelming.

You shouldn't really attend this school if you're used to a really busy, large city where there are concerts and cultural events every night, unless you are looking for a change of pace.

Michelle

My college experience was short lived . From withdrawing from school have learned that education is very important. If I do not get the right education now, I will be working at a low paying job. I will not have the job security that I need in order to provide a good life for my son. I am tired of working hard and getting very little in return. I want a career that I can feel good about and that my son and fiancee can be proud of me for. People tell prospective students how important it is to have an education. I believe that a lot of prospective students do not believe others when they say that. They think that if they do not get an education they can go out and get a decent job. They do not realize that the only jobs that are available to people without college education are low paying and do not have room to excel in. Education is the most important key to a good career.

Renee

My classmates ask a lot of questions I have but I am afraid to ask myself.

My classmates ask a lot of questions I have but I am afraid to ask myself.

I have made many friends at school that have made it possible for me to continue attending this school. The classes are amazing and I often find myself constantly re-telling stories from a classroom experience. The professors are always willing to help and spend extra time working with me when I have extra problems in and out of the classroom. The value of attending college is indescribable because I can not imagine going anywhere else or doing anything else with my life.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be the fact that it is so far from home.

Jen

Medium sized earth friendly outdoor activity fun loving social college with a wide variety of activities on and off campus in a beautiful setting.

Friendly and engaging classmattes

I gained a lot more from my college experience than someone who would have stayed back home in Wisconsin. I was able to do things, such as camping and hiking, more than I would have been able to do back home in the Milwaukee area. I chose NMU because of the different atmosphere the university has. I was able to have access to at a larger school, but still have the small town community feeling. Living in such a remote place like the U.P. gave me a different perspective on things and help teach me to take and enjoy things much more slowly. Appeciate the simple things in life, but be able to work hard getting to your destination. Personally, I think about my time up at NMU everyday since I graduated. I know I got a quality education without the high cost of similar colleges and a diverse experience than many people in my situtation.

I was raised in a very small town, the type of place where everyone knows everyone else, and chances are you will get caught up at the grocery store talking to a friend you have not seen in awhile. Needless to say I have always been extremely sheltered. Attending college was the first time I had ever felt a true sense of adulthood and responsibility. I was hours away from home and living on my own, without my parents' guidance at my fingertips as it had always been when I was growing up. Being away at college made me realize that I was either going to fly or fall all on my own, there was no longer anyone there to pick me up and dust me off when things were rough. This thought terrified me, but it also liberated me at the same time. I think every young person has to come to the conclusion for themselves that there comes a point when they will need to support themselves and take responsibility for their actions. For some people that happens when they start their first job or own their first car. I learned that lesson by going to college.

Being a Theatre student I wish I would have known more about the Theatre program at Northern. I switched into the major late and was not fully aware of what I was getting myself into. It really was not that bad, I just had a bit of a rude awakening at first that could have been avoided had I been more prepared for it.

The most frustrating thing about Northern Michigan University is the meal plan system. The food is your typical school food, which at least to me means it shouldn't cost much. However, Northern charges over two thousand dollars for an unlimited meal plan. This seems like a good deal at first, until the student realizes how much food they are not eating, but still being charged for. I would say the average student is being ripped off by this since most people do not eat almost $3,000 worth of food in four months time.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.