Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

Heather

My college experience has allowed me to grow socially and academically. I enjoy going to class and networking with everyone around me as well as gaining knowledge on subjects, ideas, and opions I would not have if I didnt attend college.

Lack of direction, not a lot of help on directing you on the right path to a career.

chelsea

ive otten that if i set my mind to something i can succeed with everything i got.

i wish i had known of all the snow during the winter and i would be doing a lot of walking.

there really isnt anything bad at my school that i have found so far.

Ciera

I've gotten so much life experience from attending college. Northern Michigan University is nine hours away from my family. I was forced to become a stronger person and depend solely on myself. I can always ask for advice, but every decision I make is completely in my hands and its both an amazing and terrifying feeling. I was taken completely out of my comfort zone and that alone has opened my eyes and broadened my perspective to see that there is so much more to life than just existing in my little bubble and thats valuable enough for me. I'm glad with my decision to attend this school because a small city definitely has its benefits. There is a sense of security here that I haven't felt anywhere else. Eventhough Marquette, MI isn't diverse, the residents here still have a very unique culture among themselves and I would have never been exposed to that had I not chosen this university.

If a students interests include snowboarding, skateboarding, rock climbing or any and all things athletic and outdoorsy, then this would be the ideal place to attend. Any interest or possible major in Sports & Recreation or a subject pertaining to nature would also make this school a good fit. A person from a small town might find it alot easier to adjust going to this university because its a bigger city, but its definitely not overwhelming.

You shouldn't really attend this school if you're used to a really busy, large city where there are concerts and cultural events every night, unless you are looking for a change of pace.

Michelle

My college experience was short lived . From withdrawing from school have learned that education is very important. If I do not get the right education now, I will be working at a low paying job. I will not have the job security that I need in order to provide a good life for my son. I am tired of working hard and getting very little in return. I want a career that I can feel good about and that my son and fiancee can be proud of me for. People tell prospective students how important it is to have an education. I believe that a lot of prospective students do not believe others when they say that. They think that if they do not get an education they can go out and get a decent job. They do not realize that the only jobs that are available to people without college education are low paying and do not have room to excel in. Education is the most important key to a good career.

Renee

My classmates ask a lot of questions I have but I am afraid to ask myself.

My classmates ask a lot of questions I have but I am afraid to ask myself.

I have made many friends at school that have made it possible for me to continue attending this school. The classes are amazing and I often find myself constantly re-telling stories from a classroom experience. The professors are always willing to help and spend extra time working with me when I have extra problems in and out of the classroom. The value of attending college is indescribable because I can not imagine going anywhere else or doing anything else with my life.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be the fact that it is so far from home.

Jen

Medium sized earth friendly outdoor activity fun loving social college with a wide variety of activities on and off campus in a beautiful setting.

Friendly and engaging classmattes

I gained a lot more from my college experience than someone who would have stayed back home in Wisconsin. I was able to do things, such as camping and hiking, more than I would have been able to do back home in the Milwaukee area. I chose NMU because of the different atmosphere the university has. I was able to have access to at a larger school, but still have the small town community feeling. Living in such a remote place like the U.P. gave me a different perspective on things and help teach me to take and enjoy things much more slowly. Appeciate the simple things in life, but be able to work hard getting to your destination. Personally, I think about my time up at NMU everyday since I graduated. I know I got a quality education without the high cost of similar colleges and a diverse experience than many people in my situtation.

I was raised in a very small town, the type of place where everyone knows everyone else, and chances are you will get caught up at the grocery store talking to a friend you have not seen in awhile. Needless to say I have always been extremely sheltered. Attending college was the first time I had ever felt a true sense of adulthood and responsibility. I was hours away from home and living on my own, without my parents' guidance at my fingertips as it had always been when I was growing up. Being away at college made me realize that I was either going to fly or fall all on my own, there was no longer anyone there to pick me up and dust me off when things were rough. This thought terrified me, but it also liberated me at the same time. I think every young person has to come to the conclusion for themselves that there comes a point when they will need to support themselves and take responsibility for their actions. For some people that happens when they start their first job or own their first car. I learned that lesson by going to college.

Being a Theatre student I wish I would have known more about the Theatre program at Northern. I switched into the major late and was not fully aware of what I was getting myself into. It really was not that bad, I just had a bit of a rude awakening at first that could have been avoided had I been more prepared for it.

The most frustrating thing about Northern Michigan University is the meal plan system. The food is your typical school food, which at least to me means it shouldn't cost much. However, Northern charges over two thousand dollars for an unlimited meal plan. This seems like a good deal at first, until the student realizes how much food they are not eating, but still being charged for. I would say the average student is being ripped off by this since most people do not eat almost $3,000 worth of food in four months time.

Jason

It is a great University to attend to if you don't want to attend a University that is to big or one that is to small. Come there willing to try new things and get involed in groups and organizations. It is a great way to meet friends. It is also important to be organized and to be able to balance social life with your studies.

Northern Michigan is best know for its education program. It is also known for its harsh winters and the outdoors. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is beautiful and the University is on Lake Superior. Many classes will take place in the outdoors.

There has been many things I have gotten out of my college experience. It was a great way for me to experince what it is like to live on my own and make decisions for myself. It has also taught me that hard work pays off. I am more organized because of college. It has also motivated me to strive to gain knowledge in the major and minor I am working to achieve. I want to be an expert in the field that I am studying. It has also made me want to make an impact in students lives. I will get an oppurtunity to be able to do that because I am going to be a teacher and also want to be a coach. It is an experience everyone should have. It helps prepare you for the real world and gives you a better chance of finding a job.

Carey

I have become a more well rounded person and more open minded to other societies, ideas, religions, and beliefs. The many sociological classes I took taught me how to communicate with other people better and how to listen to their ideas and not judge them based on my own ideas and beliefs. Therefore, I can talk to them honestly and openly about how other people are different from them without asserting that they are wrong in their beliefs and ideologies. It also makes me want to go out and explore the world more and see what it has to offer in points of views of other societies and culturally rich traditions that Americans tend to think are old fashioned or native. I, on the other hand think they are different and unique and would like to see them and discuss them with their participants and possibly see if I can learn to participate maybe even one day.

That their anthropolgy teacher was such a witch, she would tel you outright that you would fail. I proved her wrong didn't get the highest grade but still didn't fail. Also don't take world music it's trickier than it sounds.

An easy going laid back person who likes talking to people and doing study groups. They should also know it's not a party school but people do party there but they also do their studying to get their degrees.

Teresa

As a college student I am always looking forward to return each semester as I continue my path towards graduation. My college experience has been valuable to attend becuase the services provided in college which are tutorial services in math English, academic advising, degree planning and course registration assistance, scholarship recommendations and referrals, opportunity of supplemental grant aid, on-going monitoring of academic progress,access to the computer, university campus visits, invitation to attend college and commuinty based cultural activities, courtesy calls and email updates. As a Student Ambassdor I am always excited to assist new and dual enrollment students with registration and tours on campus.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.