Marquette, MI
Northern Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Michigan University

Jason

It is a great University to attend to if you don't want to attend a University that is to big or one that is to small. Come there willing to try new things and get involed in groups and organizations. It is a great way to meet friends. It is also important to be organized and to be able to balance social life with your studies.

Northern Michigan is best know for its education program. It is also known for its harsh winters and the outdoors. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is beautiful and the University is on Lake Superior. Many classes will take place in the outdoors.

There has been many things I have gotten out of my college experience. It was a great way for me to experince what it is like to live on my own and make decisions for myself. It has also taught me that hard work pays off. I am more organized because of college. It has also motivated me to strive to gain knowledge in the major and minor I am working to achieve. I want to be an expert in the field that I am studying. It has also made me want to make an impact in students lives. I will get an oppurtunity to be able to do that because I am going to be a teacher and also want to be a coach. It is an experience everyone should have. It helps prepare you for the real world and gives you a better chance of finding a job.

Carey

I have become a more well rounded person and more open minded to other societies, ideas, religions, and beliefs. The many sociological classes I took taught me how to communicate with other people better and how to listen to their ideas and not judge them based on my own ideas and beliefs. Therefore, I can talk to them honestly and openly about how other people are different from them without asserting that they are wrong in their beliefs and ideologies. It also makes me want to go out and explore the world more and see what it has to offer in points of views of other societies and culturally rich traditions that Americans tend to think are old fashioned or native. I, on the other hand think they are different and unique and would like to see them and discuss them with their participants and possibly see if I can learn to participate maybe even one day.

That their anthropolgy teacher was such a witch, she would tel you outright that you would fail. I proved her wrong didn't get the highest grade but still didn't fail. Also don't take world music it's trickier than it sounds.

An easy going laid back person who likes talking to people and doing study groups. They should also know it's not a party school but people do party there but they also do their studying to get their degrees.

Teresa

As a college student I am always looking forward to return each semester as I continue my path towards graduation. My college experience has been valuable to attend becuase the services provided in college which are tutorial services in math English, academic advising, degree planning and course registration assistance, scholarship recommendations and referrals, opportunity of supplemental grant aid, on-going monitoring of academic progress,access to the computer, university campus visits, invitation to attend college and commuinty based cultural activities, courtesy calls and email updates. As a Student Ambassdor I am always excited to assist new and dual enrollment students with registration and tours on campus.

rebecca

So far out of my college experience I have gotten so much. I've learned many things that I want to use in my career and i've also learned how to be responsible. I have realized that i have to push myself to do things and that if you study you will succeed. Its been very valuable for me to attend because i'm learning things i would have NEVER learned on my own.

Kristine

Going to NMU has changed my life incredibly. Coming into college I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life or who I wanted to be. The Faculity and the students here helped me figure it all out. I now know that I want to be an Outdoor Recreation Leadership and Management major, and that I want to study abroad to New Zealand, the leading country for outdoor recreation. I have learned to be confident in myself and to learn from every experince that I got through. This school had put me through every situation that will help me for my future whether it has been intentional or not, and for that I am thankful. There are ups and downs in college but both are valuable and necessary. This experience has been and will always be a valuable part of my life. The people you meet in college have an impact who you will become in the future. Here at NMU there have been many outstanding people who have made an impact in mine and hopefully more in the future as well. With their knowledge I have come to except myself for me and embrace it.

The best thing about my school is the variety of activities it offers. If you want to learn more or try a new activity they most likely have a program or a person you can talk to. I've tried many new activities here and not all are offered through the school, but through the word of mouth such as Black Rocks cliff jumping and hiking trails.

I brag about the location of my school and the peope I meet. It is not a tiny city, but it's small enough to know a lot of the people. It's also surrouded by all sorts of amazing landscapes such as beaches, waterfalls, lighthouses, cliffs, rivers, lakes, and hiking mountains. I've made friends here that I will last long after I graduate, and college wouldn't be the same without them.

David

Given the chance, I would tell my high school counterpart that while the transition to college can be difficult, it is definitely worth it. When you first arrive, you really dont know anyone. A lot of freshman go to parties to meet new people, but end up getting in trouble with their peers or with law enforcement for drinking underage. In addition to the negative social and legal ramifications of partying, it distracts from your academics, and makes it more likely you will miss out on classes or assignments. To state it breifly, don't go to parties. There are other ways to network, and some of the alternative methods will not only allow you to develop freindships but also to start growing rapport with teachers and administration at the university. An excellent example of this is student government. Activities such as student government will benefit you far more in the long run than going to house parties. Above all else, keep in mind why you are going to school. You are here to get the best education that you can, and to make the most out of your experience. Keep your mind focused and you will do very well.

There are too many individuals who are attending college at NMU to get a degree, instead of an education. The focus of their day to day lives is social networking, not getting a 4.0. While there are some individuals who are here to acheive as much as they are capable of, they are fewer in number than one would hope for. I do believe this trend can be reversed within a few years; however, it will take a concentrated effort to achieve lasting change.

Anyone who enjoys winter weather, being outdoors, and living an active lifestyle should strongly consider Northern Michigan University. The town of Marquette is a very culture-oriented enviroment, with a number of art and history museums, unique dining experiences, and venues for concerts and theatrical performances. The town is, in a word, hipster. There is a balance here between conservative and liberal values in the town and at the University. The one thing that strikes you the most when you come to Marquette is how everyone greets you with a smile! This is a freindly place to live.

Kelly

A beautifully inspiring, enriching, and motivating environment.

A beautifully inspiring, enriching, and motivating environment.

The University of Colorado at Boulder is the most beautiful college campus I have ever seen. The background is absolutely breath-taking and all of the buildings around campus are new or updated. There are computer labs in every building that are open at all times for student use and you can even use your student ID to access parts of campus at all times of day and night. I went to a community college before I transferred here and the defferences are completely night and day.

As a high school senior, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and I used it as an excuse to be lazy and have fun with my friends. If I could go back, I would tell my 18 year-old self that there are much more important things in life and getting a college education is very important-especially when the economy goes south. I'd persuade myself to not take my senior year lightly and maintain the 3.5 GPA I had before my senior year. I'd tell me to apply for scholarships and to research and visit different colleges since I didn't do any of that. Maybe I'd have to tell myself that I wouldn't be friends with all those people I found so "important" in less than a year. I'd remind me that I have the smarts to do almost anything I wanted, and although it didn't seem that way back then, I was already limiting myself by not giving my all that year.

Jeremy

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, I would tell myself never to stop believing in yourself. During my senior year I attend two high school, and I had just move from North Carolina. I was unsure of myself starting my senior year in a new high school. the first quarter passed, and I realized I wasn't doing as well as I should in grades. But I transfered to a new high school, and I promised myself that I wouldn't be intimidated again. I would tell myself to not worry so much, and make the big goals into small goals to accomplish the task at hand, a practice a still perform today.

Kelli

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college is whatever you make it. It is a new beginning if you wish it to be. You can meet as many new people as you like, or you may chose to only meet a few that are necessary. Don't feel as if you are alone because a lot of the people around you are new to the school and probably feel the same way as you do, so put yourself out there and make it all you can.

A person should not attend Northern Michigan University if they don't like cold weather and snow. Marquette normally gets numerous amounts of snow and it is cold from October till April.

The most frustrating thing about my school is something that is alike with most other schools. Trying to register for the classes you want or need to take. Of course seniority plays a big part of who gets to register first, but this is something that everyone must deal with.

Laquisha

Not to take going to college for granted. Start preparing earlier, by keeping my grades up and applying earlier to as many schools as possible. Therefore I would have a variety of schools to choose from. To talk to my parents more, about financing college. I would make sure I started saving and getting the things I need in order keep the strain off my mother, with her being disabled it can be hard sometimes.

I wish I would have known about the hills I would have to walk up to go to class. The hills all have different inclines, some are easier than others. I also wish I had known the distance between my dorm room and the places we eat. One is closer than the other, but there food is not as good.

The kind of person that is open to all types of people regardless of their race or religon. If someone is of African American race there is no way they would enjoy going to Northern Michigan University if they are still stuck on racistism. The marjority of people who attend here are Caucasian. Everyone I have come in contact with are very friendly and up beat. They are easy going and fun to be around. If someone does not have those qualities they may not like it here.

Northern Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.