Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

Compared to other schools, Northern Michigan University offers a more well-rounded college experience for students. My school offers many academic opportunities such as work study programs, internships and study groups for students. In addition to academic opportunities, NMU has many extracurricular activities students can participate in. These activities include attending sports events, concerts and movies that are free of charge for students or offered at a discounted price. Northern Michigan University is also a great place for students to engage in activities outdoors such as hiking, camping, swimming and running. To put it simply, NMU has it all.

Northern Michigan University is unique in many ways. One that stands out to me right now is they are one of the only schools in the nation to provide there students with laptops upon entering the school. With this comes the advantage of testing on computers, fast e-mail responses, and a connection among all faculty and students. We can learn how to use technology to the fullest. Northern is also unique because it attracts many people from different areas of the country. We have kids from neighboring states that allows us to get a different perspective on life.

To keep it short, I am transferring next year. The only reason I would discourage someone from going here is is they like the city, and/or someone who wants a more rigorous academic career. However if you are smart and strapped for cash and want to stick out 4 years in the middle of nowhere then go for it. You'll probably be able to graduate with a 3.50 or up and a barrage of impressive extracurriculars (because if you don't fill your extra time with being involved you will get bored) to put on your resume.

I applied for many colleges and I got accepted into all of them but I chose NMU. I'm currently in the BSN Nursing program and have 3 semesters left. I was accepted into my prgram my freshman year which if I would have went to another university I most likely would have been on a waiting list. I love NMU, I would encourage anyone to go there. You always have something to do with being on Lake Superior and all the woods we have. You can go hiking, snowboarding, skiing whenever you want in the winter! I love it!

Northern is located in a beautiful spot. We are surrounded by lakes and woods, perfect for warm summer days at the beach, hiking, cliff jumping, fishing, camping. In the winter we have a ski hill a few miles away where skiing and snowboarding are very popular - I beleive we have the best 'park' at our ski hill in the midwest. The environment surrounding Northern makes it unique and most people attend the school for that reason, the lakes, woods, etc. rather than the quality of the school itsself.

The University of Colorado at Boulder is the most beautiful college campus I have ever seen. The background is absolutely breath-taking and all of the buildings around campus are new or updated. There are computer labs in every building that are open at all times for student use and you can even use your student ID to access parts of campus at all times of day and night. I went to a community college before I transferred here and the defferences are completely night and day.

Northern Michigan University gives it students the oppertunity to join a club called "Superior Edge" which is unique to NMU. Superior Edge has four different "Edges" and you have to do 100 hours of community service inorder to complete just one "Edge." This club helps students like me gain experience in our community and helps us meet new people and find new interests. It will also benefit us when it is time to apply for jobs!

I loved the setting of the school. All the other schools I looked into were in big cities or didn't seem very friendly. When i looked into Northern, the stuff to do around campus (hiking, biking, cliff jumping into lake Superior) as well as the extremely friendly environment got me so excited. This university seemed so much more adventurous that any other that I applied for.

The unique placement of Northern Michigan University (the Upper Peninsula) unites the community here and draws everyone close together. Students and people who live in the community take pride in the beautiful scenery and atmosphere of the Upper Pensisula. I love how there's so much to do outside, even in the winter.

Northern is an extremely liberal school and has a dry campus. The dorms are recently renovated and very well taken care of. I was impressed by the amount of professors that were successful professionals in their areas of study. The campus is smaller than others I considered. It feels more personal.