Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

I am recieving the tools I need to work in my chosen fields of Illustration and Creative Writing. Attending a University like NMU allowed me to recieve quality education in both fields, and also to enrich myself by taking courses outside my discipline that I found interesting and fulfilling. I've enjoyed integrating into the Marquette community, and going to school here gives me an appreciation for the value of a small city with a lot of personality.

Not to try and decide what you want to do right away. It seems that so many people are still unsure of what they do and even change their minds in the process that you should simply focus on an area of interest and see where it takes you. In my own experience I tried too hard to find just one thing to do, and if you personally know what thing then run with it, but otherwise don't stress about finding it. It'll reveal itself on its own.

Apply to many colleges, the application processes and fees are nothing in the long run to keep your options open. Weigh your options and factor in things that are most important to you, such as location, prestige, size, etc. As far as making the most of your college experience, TRY NEW THINGS! You will learn a lot about yourself and make new friends, there are so many activities on any campus that there is always something new to try.

College was never something viewed as attainable. Once I started attending Kirkwood Community College I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I'm in a direct transfer program to the University of Northern Iowa for Educational Social Science and am excited to see where my degree with take me. Kirkwood is a great place to start and has allowed me to experience adulthood and a little bit more of my independence.

I think Parents should definitely give their child their honest opinion on colleges but should not in any way tell their child what to do or where to go, because it is the students future and decision to make. Students should choose a college based on their needs, not their parents or friends needs. Choose a college that reflects your personality and you are guaranteed to find a school that will make you successful!

Not to take going to college for granted. Start preparing earlier, by keeping my grades up and applying earlier to as many schools as possible. Therefore I would have a variety of schools to choose from. To talk to my parents more, about financing college. I would make sure I started saving and getting the things I need in order keep the strain off my mother, with her being disabled it can be hard sometimes.

Ask students other than the tour guide questions you may have and what they like about the school. I have been asked by a touring family if they could see my room. It is sometimes nice to see how the rooms other than the example room they show you on tours looks like. If you know anyone at the school ask them to shadow for the day to get a real look at the classes and the campus.

My main goal was to complete college and get a degree. I am halfway through already and all the classes and experiences I was able to obtain from college have helped with such. I have been able to better socialize and succeed in life. College education has been a great value in my life because I believe this will lead me to an excellent career and better lifestyle.

The most important advice that I would give myself if I could go back in time, Is to practice the concept time management. I find that the more that i managed my time successfully, the more i could focus on my classes, and the easier they became. I believe with successful time management skills, the transition from highscool to college would become more simple.

So far out of my college experience I have gotten so much. I've learned many things that I want to use in my career and i've also learned how to be responsible. I have realized that i have to push myself to do things and that if you study you will succeed. Its been very valuable for me to attend because i'm learning things i would have NEVER learned on my own.