Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

Make a few college visits and make sure you talk to some students and some faculty. The best advice might not be given from someone the school has choosen to speak on their behalf. Ask an actual student that might be walking around, you will get to see how friendly they might be and what the school is really like. Also if you are not sure if you want to get away from your parents and home then you might want to consider going far enough that you aren't gonna want to drive home every weekend, but if you wanted to you could make the drive. If you know how you learn best, in small setting or big classrooms, then you should narrow down your choices that way, then choose places where you will be ok with the weather, and then choose from the schools crudentials and what you want out of a school. The best advice though would be to let the student choose, they are the one who will be there for a couple of years, and they have to make new friends, and learn their own way.

Over the course of the last few years of college I have recieved friends that will last me a life time. Not only have I received great friends, but I have established an ambition to push myself to attain a degree in what I really love. As of right now I have to complete a doctorates degree to obtain this goal of mine. To some people, eight years sounds like a lot of time. But to me, it feels like its right around the corner especially since I know when that day comes when I am working in the profession that I want, I will be happy and not settling with a job that was easy to attain. I know attending college has been valuable to attend because it has and will be beneficial to me now and in the future. I've also learned from attending college that you will run into people that you may not like or even want to interact with. Although, this type of experience of going away to college will help you learn how to deal with the situations in a manner that is appropriate.

Most importantly visit the school. Set up appointments with professors in the major you will be studying. Talk to other students that have been going to the school for a while, ask them what they do for fun, ask them for their honest opinions on the education they are receiving and experiences they are having. Try and get a feel for the city or town in which the school is located, make an extended stay there if possible. Talk to locals and students about what the city has to offer as far as outdoor activities, recreation and entertainment. Basically, just be outgoing and really dig deep and try and find out what the schools about by asking lots of people lots of questions. Even if they get annoyed, which they probably wont, or your embarressed to so, still do it because in the long run it will help. Just keep in mind that what you learn while visiting the school and talking to people has the potential to drastically change your live (or your sons or daughter).

Parents, I want to remind you that while it is your job to guide your child, they should make their own choice as to where they should attend school. Even if Billy or Sally wants to all the way across the country, that is okay. It hurts to let them go, but it's important that they be where they are happy. Students, please go where you are happy. Don't let money stand in your way. There are jobs and loans and grants for you, if you look for them. It is better to get a good education than to get a cheap one. So many of us are going to be graduating in a ton of debt. That's okay! If you get a good education to do a job you love, what should that matter? As for making the most of the college experience, GO TO CLASS. Even if you only listen 50% of the time, that's 50% more you heard than if you didn't go. You pay good money to be there, so get your money's worth! Join clubs, too! That's a great way to make friends with similar interests.

If I could go back and talk to my former self, I would advise three things: one start looking into college now don't wait untill sencond semster because you'll regret it. Two save as much money as you possibly can because once you are out taking care of business on your own, you'll be suprised how fast money flies out of your pocket. And last but not least; spend as much time as possible with everyone. Get over the fights quicker, be open and honest about everything and just enjoy eachothers company because before you know it all the little things that use to annoy you, aren't around anymore and it's lonely. A year from now when you are sitting here writing this response, trying to get money for school, I know you would rather say you have no regrets and that if you went back you'd do it all again. College is fun but I could've made it easier and less stressful on myself if I had me to tell what I did wrong.

I've gotten so much life experience from attending college. Northern Michigan University is nine hours away from my family. I was forced to become a stronger person and depend solely on myself. I can always ask for advice, but every decision I make is completely in my hands and its both an amazing and terrifying feeling. I was taken completely out of my comfort zone and that alone has opened my eyes and broadened my perspective to see that there is so much more to life than just existing in my little bubble and thats valuable enough for me. I'm glad with my decision to attend this school because a small city definitely has its benefits. There is a sense of security here that I haven't felt anywhere else. Eventhough Marquette, MI isn't diverse, the residents here still have a very unique culture among themselves and I would have never been exposed to that had I not chosen this university.

Attending college is an earned privilege. Hard working students are recognized and rewarded. GPA is vital so do your very best but don't beat yourself up if your best isn't 4.0. You'll be able to demonstrate your dedication in other ways as well! Four years of undergrad work really does fly by so take advantage of every opportunity afforded you!!! It's up to you and you alone to make sure your fit is a good one. You'll know if it's a good fit or not if you're entheustiac about your studies and all of a sudden your closest friends are studying the same thing as you. ALSO, remember this, your college friends will grow up to be business contacts so maintaining supporting friendships can be beneficial once you're off on your own! Your college years will be considered a pivotal point in your life. Work hard; have fun and be safe. You're there because you earned it! You Can Do It!

I would tell myself not to stress about leaving my family and friends. I will make some amazing friends my first weekend there and that they stick with me and support me. My friends and I do so much together and keep in touch over holiday breaks. I would tell past me that when I am at my college I am happy and that I feel like I really fit in for the first time. College isn't something to fear, but rather something to look forward to. The time there flys by fast and before I know it I will be wondering where the time went. The staff there is helpful and friendly and they genuinely want to see you make it in life. College is a good place for me to be and I start to call it home after a while. I would also tell myself to study hard and enjoy my down time with my friends. I would also tell myself to try new things, within a safe reason, because I am only there for a short time.

My college experience was short lived . From withdrawing from school have learned that education is very important. If I do not get the right education now, I will be working at a low paying job. I will not have the job security that I need in order to provide a good life for my son. I am tired of working hard and getting very little in return. I want a career that I can feel good about and that my son and fiancee can be proud of me for. People tell prospective students how important it is to have an education. I believe that a lot of prospective students do not believe others when they say that. They think that if they do not get an education they can go out and get a decent job. They do not realize that the only jobs that are available to people without college education are low paying and do not have room to excel in. Education is the most important key to a good career.

To (nearly) quote the words of my university's president, I would first recommend that the chosen school be no closer than a six hour drive from the student's home. This distance promotes a student's participation in school functions while discouraging unnecessary trips home. I would also strongly advise parents to encourage their sons and daughters to attend smaller universities. The professor to student ratio is, in many cases, similar to that of a high school course and the resulting classroom environment is much more condusive to building relationships with both peers and instructors. Lastly, I would remind the student to not overlook something as basic as climate. Much of what defines a student's overall pleasure/displeasure of a school is determined by the activities done outside of school. Choose an environment that complements what you like to do!