Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

I have become a more well rounded person and more open minded to other societies, ideas, religions, and beliefs. The many sociological classes I took taught me how to communicate with other people better and how to listen to their ideas and not judge them based on my own ideas and beliefs. Therefore, I can talk to them honestly and openly about how other people are different from them without asserting that they are wrong in their beliefs and ideologies. It also makes me want to go out and explore the world more and see what it has to offer in points of views of other societies and culturally rich traditions that Americans tend to think are old fashioned or native. I, on the other hand think they are different and unique and would like to see them and discuss them with their participants and possibly see if I can learn to participate maybe even one day.

As a high school senior, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and I used it as an excuse to be lazy and have fun with my friends. If I could go back, I would tell my 18 year-old self that there are much more important things in life and getting a college education is very important-especially when the economy goes south. I'd persuade myself to not take my senior year lightly and maintain the 3.5 GPA I had before my senior year. I'd tell me to apply for scholarships and to research and visit different colleges since I didn't do any of that. Maybe I'd have to tell myself that I wouldn't be friends with all those people I found so "important" in less than a year. I'd remind me that I have the smarts to do almost anything I wanted, and although it didn't seem that way back then, I was already limiting myself by not giving my all that year.

My advice to students to find the school that has what you want. Make a ranked list of things you to get out of your college experience and what environment you want to learn in. Find a college that fits your list and do not go to a college just because your friend is going there. This is your future and your education, make sure that it is right for you and have fun. My advice to parents is to make sure all the right questions get answered. Sometimes students forget to ask important questions like aid, health services, and public safety. These are all important questions to ask that happen to usually get buried under more fun questions to ask such as social environment. However, keep in mind this is your child's experience to live and his/her decision to make. Support them in the decision and things will go a lot smoother.

I gained a lot more from my college experience than someone who would have stayed back home in Wisconsin. I was able to do things, such as camping and hiking, more than I would have been able to do back home in the Milwaukee area. I chose NMU because of the different atmosphere the university has. I was able to have access to at a larger school, but still have the small town community feeling. Living in such a remote place like the U.P. gave me a different perspective on things and help teach me to take and enjoy things much more slowly. Appeciate the simple things in life, but be able to work hard getting to your destination. Personally, I think about my time up at NMU everyday since I graduated. I know I got a quality education without the high cost of similar colleges and a diverse experience than many people in my situtation.

I think the best advice I could give is to take yourself out of your comfort zone. Life is all about taking chances and making mistakes. College is the perfect opportunity for that because it?s full of a diverse group of people that come from all sorts of different backgrounds. Some of these people will have similar experiences and will be able to help give guidance and advice. Others will be just like you; looking for the opportunity to try something new and gain a different perspective. My advice is to take chances. This is the time to learn about who you are and where you want to go in life. Challenge yourself to go the extra mile, break barriers, and push limitations. So when looking for a school; look for a place that will combine current interests while allowing you the opportunity to grow into who you want to be.

I graduated with a 4.0 from Charlevoix High School, in Charlevoix, Michigan. I was given the title of Valedictorian, but did not particularly rejoice this title. I was proud of what I had accomplished, but at the end of high school I regretted many of my decisions. I learned that life is far more enjoyed with a balance of things rather than an extreme of one, mine being academics. I focused so much on schooling that I didn?t no allow myself to enjoy much of high school and the experiences that many of my friends had. Now that I have entered college I have tried to find a balance between enjoying moments in my life while taking my education seriously. If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would tell myself to relax more and take things slower. I would say tell myself to stress less, yet give everything my all.

If i was given the chance to go back I would take full advantage of it. College life is totally different then life in Highschool. I'm a very independent person so maybe for me it was easier to adjust then others. I can suggest try to make the best of it, make friends go out and be social. If you have questions for your professors don't be afraid to go up and ask them, they will assist you. One thing that you must be prepared for is the reading that is dumped on you. I didn't know what to expect on how hard the classes would be. If you want to do good you have to try your hardest and put forth the time. I finsihed my first semester with a 3.8. Let me tell you, I had to work for it, it was no easy task but the feeling of accomplishment was worth the time. The best advice I can give to incoming freshman is to go to class!

Don't go to school and choose a specific major simply because you don't want to disappoint your parents. College should be something you're enthusiastic about (and going to class shouldn't be something you dread). Pick a major that relates to something you love (that you can make a living from) and go for it! Remember that college is what you make it to be, so if you're slacking, not participating, and partying, or staying up all night on the internet, it won't be a pleasant experience. But if you're active in class and have interest in what you're learning and take care of yourself from a health standpoint (that means sleeping enough!) you'll find college to be a lot more enjoyable. And parents, be realistic and supportive of your college-bound student, it will make their life (and yours) so much easier!

I would tell myself to do every activity possible, and keep a track of all activities participated in and awards won. Because colleges and programs really like to see students who are well rounded and involved in extra curricular activities. Besides, they are fun and you only live once. You never want to live with regrets, so every opportunity you have, go for it! I would also tell myself that the habits developed at a young age stay with you for a long time and are hard to break. So make the best out of everything you do as far as eating, studying, sleeping, the friends you hang out with, etc. You do not want to miss out on something you should have gotten or should have been able to do because you made one wrong decision a long time ago. And the lastly, I would have said don't stress, just have fun and live!

If I could go back and tell myself what college has to offer it would be like me going back a a college represenative. I would tell myself about all the mountains and hiking trails around campus and how Lake Superior is right outside my window. Of course there is that fact that all the students and teachers are nice and very helpful and I shouldn't be afraid to take time and talk with my professors. I would encourage my past self to get involved in as many campus events as possible because that is a great way to meet new people and make friends. I would also talk about all the help the school offers from campus tutoring to a writing center where people will actually help you with your papers. Northern Michigan University is definately the place that I belong and that I will love everything about it.