Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

My advice for parents and students is to look for a college that fits who YOU are and where YOU want to go in life. Students, don't let anyone tell you which way you should go. Make up your own mind by doing a little research into different schools you are interested in so that you know what your getting into and so that you know which school is right for you. Where you decide to go could change your life and you'll probably be there for 4 or more years so make sure that the school you choose is what you truly want. Once you are there, enjoy it! It's going to be a bit scary at first but once you get settled it will be the best ride of your life and loads better than high school! Don't work so hard at academics that you forget about a social life and don't be afraid to try new things! Enjoy!

Out of college so far I have learned so much more than just the acedemics I came to pursue. I came to the campus to study Mathematics and have, in the process of studying, became a Resident Advisor. My RA from last year was kind to me and the professors around me have always encouraged my involvement in activities within school and outside of school. There are several opportunities to show off my Math research and if there is a class I need to take that is not offered, the professors work with me to offer it. Northern has allowed me to develope both as a student and a person within a safe and secure enviroment. For all intensive purposes, NMU has offered me the perfect college experience. I would not trade a moment of this time at college for any other experience a school has to offer.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to be involved as much as I could without it interfering with school work. Experience is one of the main things that assists people in deciding what they want to study, and what careers they want to hold in their futures. Different organizations have different goals, volunteer at different places, and communicate with different businesses and all of thats gives us insite to what different jobs have to offer. Extracurricular activities are also a very important part of high school and college. They help us meet new people who generally have a positive influenece on our lives. Some of my favorite memories have taken place at extracurricular events with people I have met through different organizations.

If I could go back to the begining of my senior year and give myself advice; it would be not to be scared. I was scared of growing up and moving out so I put off college to the very last minute and that was a huge mistake. I wish I would've known that the transition isn't as scary and horrible as I predicted, wish I knew that growing up and figuring out how to be on my own was revitalizing and gives me a sense of independence not fear. I wish I would've started this process sooner instead of havening to search for scholarships to find money for school at the very last minute instead of relaxing. I wish I hadn't been so scared; I wish I could go back and tell myself that everything would be okay in the end and to take a hold of my life instead of watching it go by.

As a high school senior I was debating between a couple of art colleges and public colleges, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to stay with my decision to attend Northern Michigan because the living atmosphere is one of the best in the area. Also the art program here is one of the best in the midwest but also includes the other aspects of a public college such as the cultural diversity and the cultural opportunities of different events. My other advice would be to leave the past behind and start with the new beginning that college offers without the worries and old notions that are so important in high school. My college experience has allowed me to be the person I really am, and let true friendships form, which have changed my life forever.

The best advice that I can give to anybody attending college is go to class, be active in organizations, and do not fall behind. College is ment to not only be an academic learning experience, but a social and personal learning expereince for themselves. One should not be afraid to try new things. Most on campus groups will welcome people just interested in learning about an activty that they do and will be helpful. Most of the organizations have students from all kinds of programs in college and they are almost all willing to help you with your school work if you're having trouble. Just remember that there are hidden resources in college in these groups that the college doesn't necessarily always tell you about. Be active and have fun.

look for a college that you are happy with, as the student will have to live/work in that enviroment, also you are paying to go to that college so if you are not satisfied it is not the college for you. when on campus students should try to get involved as much as they can in various campus related activities, it helps you get to know others as well as making your college experiance more enjoyable. students should pay attention in class and know what is expected of them, this isnt highschool and professors dont nessicarily care if you do your work or not, they get payed either way, your paying them, but if you dont do your work and screw up, you are out that money. you can always take the course again, but youll pay for it, in cash.

When looking for the right college some may think to apply to only Universities that are well known, I believe that is a mistake. One can?t judge a school based on a name. I myself had never heard of Northern Michigan University until a friend mentioned it to me. I took a tour of the school and fell in love. The staff was friendly and the environment felt comfortable to me. It takes more than grades to succeed in this world. It takes motivation, persistence, individuality, and character. To achieve these you must have a good social environment that you feel comfortable with. Grades are important, but so is interaction with others. When choosing a college choose one that suits your personality, then you?re sure to make it.

As a college student I am always looking forward to return each semester as I continue my path towards graduation. My college experience has been valuable to attend becuase the services provided in college which are tutorial services in math English, academic advising, degree planning and course registration assistance, scholarship recommendations and referrals, opportunity of supplemental grant aid, on-going monitoring of academic progress,access to the computer, university campus visits, invitation to attend college and commuinty based cultural activities, courtesy calls and email updates. As a Student Ambassdor I am always excited to assist new and dual enrollment students with registration and tours on campus.

There has been many things I have gotten out of my college experience. It was a great way for me to experince what it is like to live on my own and make decisions for myself. It has also taught me that hard work pays off. I am more organized because of college. It has also motivated me to strive to gain knowledge in the major and minor I am working to achieve. I want to be an expert in the field that I am studying. It has also made me want to make an impact in students lives. I will get an oppurtunity to be able to do that because I am going to be a teacher and also want to be a coach. It is an experience everyone should have. It helps prepare you for the real world and gives you a better chance of finding a job.