Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

Visit! Visit! Visit! The most important advice I could give to parents and students trying to find the right college is to check out the school during an academic week and talk with other students to get the scoop on the academics and social life of the school as well as what is fun to do off-campus. Once the student has chosen the school that fits his or her personality and academic goals, the first thing to do is to find out how to somehow get involved, whether it is on or off-campus. Taking advantage of what the school and university have to offer will make any college experience more worthwhile and unforgettable!

When finding the right college I think it is important to pick one that is far enough away from your home, but still close enough that you can go back when needed. It keeps some level of comfort that Mom and Dad are still there for you when you need them, but you still have all of your new found freedom. As far as making the mots out of your college experience I believe it is important to get out there and go to all of those different activities, meet new people and have fun. This is the time of your life when you do a lot of growing up and a lot of discovering who you really are, so get out there and discover!!

When deciding on a college, make sure when you visit the campuses. The campuse that you feel like you are "home" is the right one for you. No the college that everyone is attending or the "it" place to be, but the one that feels like you are meant to be there and that you haven't really left home, but simply found your own place in the world. Once you get to college take advantages of the activities the school offers for you to meet people. It will make your college experience that much better to have people whom you would like to get to learn more about surrounding you than spending a lot of time alone.

If I could go back, I would give myself a lecture about money management, and about being okay with not having friends immediately. I am from out of state and I didn't know anyone from Adam when I arrived. I should have made a budget with the amount of money I was allowed to spend on Starbucks at school. I would have advised myself to take more steps out of my shell sooner to get involved with more groups even though I still had soccer to do. I would have reminded myself who I was and that no matter what no one could change that even when they don't have any preconceived knowledge of how I was as a person.

If I could go back in time to my high school senior self, I would tell myself never to stop believing in yourself. During my senior year I attend two high school, and I had just move from North Carolina. I was unsure of myself starting my senior year in a new high school. the first quarter passed, and I realized I wasn't doing as well as I should in grades. But I transfered to a new high school, and I promised myself that I wouldn't be intimidated again. I would tell myself to not worry so much, and make the big goals into small goals to accomplish the task at hand, a practice a still perform today.

First and foremost, take a tour of different campuses to find the one where you feel most comfortable. For many people, including myself, when I got to NMU's campus I just knew that it was the perfect school for me. Once you have enrolled in your perfect school, you need to find a balance between social life and academic life. If you focus too much on your academic life, you tend to get very stressed out and depressed, but if you spend too much time on your social life, your grades will begin to slip. Once you find a good medium, college becomes the fun expierience that it should be.

My advice is to visit the campuses that you think you are interested in and get a campus tour while you are there. This gives you a real feel about what it is like to be on the campus and what the students and faculty are like. Also make sure you look for a school with classes sizes that you will be comfortable in. If you are easily distracted small class sizes are better and that's not offered at every school. Also try to find a school with extra-ciriculars that you are interested in. Extra-ciricular activites are a great way to get involved and meet new people.

I would have worked harder in high school to get better grades and learn more about the realities of what I'm facing in the financial world. I would have taken the opportunity to take the college classes offered when I was a senior so that I could have been further ahead when I graduated. My parents pushed getting a job when I was in high school but I really didn't try very hard and I wish I would have saved more money so they wouldn't have to help me now with my tuition. All in all I wish I would have been more proactive in all the aspects decribed above!

I would tell that young man to focus harder on what he wants out of life. To tell him one day you will have a wife and a son and that he would want to do everything to make sure they are safe and secure, Provide for them in ways he couldnt if he doesnt get his act together. Everything is riding on his shoulders so he must do wat needs to be done to become a success. I would tell my igh school self tat and since i take life very serioysly i know e would to and get busy becoming a successful man with a career and a wonderful husband and father.

I have to admit I did not try as hard as I should in high school. If I could go back to my senior high school self. I would tell her that I need to try harder. It seems like that some many people make that same mistake. I got sucked up in my high school life and I did not really think about the future. I did not think about how bad grades effect me but now I see what good grades could have done for me. Now I am thinking about my future. The best thing I can do for myself is get an education so I can get a job in a career that I will enjoy.