Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

I've become more of an indepent person by coming to Northern. Not only have I become more independent, but I have also grow as a person and am finiding who I am. Northern Michigan University is a friendly campus where if you need help, any student walking by will help you, professors are willing to work with their students to make the best experience that they can for them. Professors care if their students pass. NMU is valuable to attend because every person will change for the better and grow into adults with the help of their peers.

Tour different colleges and ask lots of questions. Find out if the college offers the kind of activities you enjoy. It all depends on each persons individual taste. Some people like big schools others like smaller ones. Find a place where you can be comfortable because you will be spending a lot of time there. To make the most of your experience you should get involved with different clubs and organizations around campus. This will keep you up to date on whats going on with your school and it will help you to meet people.

Pick a school that puts you in an environment you enjoy. If you can't stand living in a big city, then dont attend a school in a big city. You will not enjoy it, and will not do well in school if you are not happy. Pick a place that offers many of your favorite recreational activities whether on campus or off. There are going to plenty of times when school drives you absolutely crazy and you need to be able to just get out and do something that makes you happy in order to reenergize yourself.

Whatever school you choose, do not pick one for the soul reason that it is cheap. Community College's are great, but there is nothing like the University experience. Don't over extend your financial abilities either. Try to pick a school that is a good comprimise between the two. That's why I chose Northern Michigan University. It's inexpensive enough to be practical for my family and is still a relatively large school. All in all, choose a school based on what is comfortable.

I have made many friends at school that have made it possible for me to continue attending this school. The classes are amazing and I often find myself constantly re-telling stories from a classroom experience. The professors are always willing to help and spend extra time working with me when I have extra problems in and out of the classroom. The value of attending college is indescribable because I can not imagine going anywhere else or doing anything else with my life.

I would tell parents and students to really look into a number of different schools and what each school has to offer. I would also encourage them to go on a campus visit and meet with factualty in their field of interest. When they attend a college, I would tell them to find students organizations they would be interested in and get involved. I would also tell them that they are paying for college for a reason and they should try to make it to every class they can.

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would tell her not to take things so seriously. If you're not happy with where you are in life, don't sit around and moan about it. Find out why you're not happy and fix it. Make small changes everyday to make yourself a better, happier person. Life is much too short to be sad and worry about the little things. You have only one life and then you're done. It's up to you to make it the best life it can be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college is whatever you make it. It is a new beginning if you wish it to be. You can meet as many new people as you like, or you may chose to only meet a few that are necessary. Don't feel as if you are alone because a lot of the people around you are new to the school and probably feel the same way as you do, so put yourself out there and make it all you can.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to explore as many fields as possible while in high school to help determine what career path I should choose. I feel that if I had emersed myself more into a variety of activities in different fields, I would have had a better understanding of myself. In the end, this could have saved me money by eliminating a year of college since I changed my major multiple times.

I would've told myself to relax and enjoy the changes ahead. I was so worried about moving somewhere new and making new friends. But once I got here, it was so easy. Everyone is in the same boat, the majority of us are new here and everyone wants to make friends. I would also tell myself to really focus in class and take a lot of notes. College courses are way different than high school classes. The help you need is the help you go out and find yourself.