Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

Prior to attending Northern Michigan University, I wish I had been educated on a variety of topics. First, I wish I had been told the importance of an advisor-student relationship and how keeping in contact with your academic support system only aids you on your academic journey. Secondly, I wish that I had been introduced to the vast amount of financial aid that is available for college students. I feel like I entered college with no idea that there were people and associations out there that offer help for students who are financially struggling to gain an education.

I wish I would have known to get more involved in campus activities, and understood how they would have benefited me both by networking with my fellow students and by granting strong resume credentials. Students at NMU are generally friendly, and there are modest but enjoyable opportunities available for people of all interests on and off campus. After a few years here, as soon as I got just a little involved I couldn't believe how many friends I made and how much easier it made my social life and my coursework to have a good support system.

I wish I would have known the Freshman Seminar class wasn't required for all freshman students. I signed up for a block of Art and Design classes in a program called the First Year Experience (that had Freshman Seminar in it) thinking I was required to take the class anyways. I wish I wouldn't have signed up for the block and had taken a class with 4 credits instead of that 2 credit one because now I have to take 18 credits in my next few semesters to catch up and be able to graduate in 4 years.

Don?t be so nervous on the first day, no one else knows what they?re doing either. Never bring your backpack into the bookstore, they don?t like that. Take it easy your first semester and only take twelve credits. You?ll do fine with sixteen but your stress levels will be off the charts. Online classes aren?t for you. Come to terms with the fact that it?s going to take you five years if you plan to double major. Stop being shy and raise your hand in class.

I wish I would have known how to apply for more scholarships. My dad and I had a confusing time applying for loans and the school wasn't very helpful in aiding in the process or providing useful information. For two people who knew nothing about college loans, we had a difficult time. It would have been more helpful if I had known more about gettin gloans and scholarships before coming to school.

Being a Theatre student I wish I would have known more about the Theatre program at Northern. I switched into the major late and was not fully aware of what I was getting myself into. It really was not that bad, I just had a bit of a rude awakening at first that could have been avoided had I been more prepared for it.

I wish I would have known more about the campus it self. I was not able to make it to any of the campus tours, so when I arrived to the campus I was unsure as to where the variety of buildings were. this, however, allowed me to meet many people by asking them where classes are and where which buildings they were in.

I wish I would have known that they had limits on how much student loans a freshman can get. I'm only allowed 5,000 and my tuition is 18.000 so I have to look for a lot scholarships. Which is not the easiest thing in the world, especially since I have a late summer birthday and most of them require you to be 18.

I wish I would have known about the hills I would have to walk up to go to class. The hills all have different inclines, some are easier than others. I also wish I had known the distance between my dorm room and the places we eat. One is closer than the other, but there food is not as good.

That the price was going to go up by $5,000. My parents had to pick up the tab for what financia aid doesn't cover. Since I am upper middle class I don't get much from the government so it dampers the bills. I think that is any college, though.