Northern Michigan University Top Questions

I wish I would have known that they had limits on how much student loans a freshman can get. I'm only allowed 5,000 and my tuition is 18.000 so I have to look for a lot scholarships. Which is not the easiest thing in the world, especially since I have a late summer birthday and most of them require you to be 18.

I wish I would have known more information about my finanical situation. So, I could plan that our better.

I wish I would have known about how bad the old dorms were for people with allergies.

I wish I would have known more about the campus it self. I was not able to make it to any of the campus tours, so when I arrived to the campus I was unsure as to where the variety of buildings were. this, however, allowed me to meet many people by asking them where classes are and where which buildings they were in.

chelsea

i wish i had known of all the snow during the winter and i would be doing a lot of walking.

Being a Theatre student I wish I would have known more about the Theatre program at Northern. I switched into the major late and was not fully aware of what I was getting myself into. It really was not that bad, I just had a bit of a rude awakening at first that could have been avoided had I been more prepared for it.

Carey

That their anthropolgy teacher was such a witch, she would tel you outright that you would fail. I proved her wrong didn't get the highest grade but still didn't fail. Also don't take world music it's trickier than it sounds.

Laquisha

I wish I would have known about the hills I would have to walk up to go to class. The hills all have different inclines, some are easier than others. I also wish I had known the distance between my dorm room and the places we eat. One is closer than the other, but there food is not as good.

Don?t be so nervous on the first day, no one else knows what they?re doing either. Never bring your backpack into the bookstore, they don?t like that. Take it easy your first semester and only take twelve credits. You?ll do fine with sixteen but your stress levels will be off the charts. Online classes aren?t for you. Come to terms with the fact that it?s going to take you five years if you plan to double major. Stop being shy and raise your hand in class.

Jody

Prior to attending Northern Michigan University, I wish I had been educated on a variety of topics. First, I wish I had been told the importance of an advisor-student relationship and how keeping in contact with your academic support system only aids you on your academic journey. Secondly, I wish that I had been introduced to the vast amount of financial aid that is available for college students. I feel like I entered college with no idea that there were people and associations out there that offer help for students who are financially struggling to gain an education.

DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS! your not as gifted as they told you or as worthless as they made your feel. leave michigan for a while then come back when you find your self, san francisco is very thereputic.

Janelle

I wish I would have known the Freshman Seminar class wasn't required for all freshman students. I signed up for a block of Art and Design classes in a program called the First Year Experience (that had Freshman Seminar in it) thinking I was required to take the class anyways. I wish I wouldn't have signed up for the block and had taken a class with 4 credits instead of that 2 credit one because now I have to take 18 credits in my next few semesters to catch up and be able to graduate in 4 years.

Christie

There is nothing that I wish I would have known before I came to Northern Michigan University. There were no surprises, except good ones that is. It is a great school and I feel blessed that I am able to attend it!

How cold it gets

Bruce

Nothing really. It's a great school and they have a lot of stuff to do. Everyone has some school spirit and the sporting events are fun for all. It's an all around good school.

I wish I would have known how to apply for more scholarships. My dad and I had a confusing time applying for loans and the school wasn't very helpful in aiding in the process or providing useful information. For two people who knew nothing about college loans, we had a difficult time. It would have been more helpful if I had known more about gettin gloans and scholarships before coming to school.

That the price was going to go up by $5,000. My parents had to pick up the tab for what financia aid doesn't cover. Since I am upper middle class I don't get much from the government so it dampers the bills. I think that is any college, though.

Merideth

I wish I would have known to get more involved in campus activities, and understood how they would have benefited me both by networking with my fellow students and by granting strong resume credentials. Students at NMU are generally friendly, and there are modest but enjoyable opportunities available for people of all interests on and off campus. After a few years here, as soon as I got just a little involved I couldn't believe how many friends I made and how much easier it made my social life and my coursework to have a good support system.

I wish that i would have studied more in high school, and i wish i would have known how hard it was going to be. I also wish i would have known how expensive school was going to be.

SO MUCH SNOW!

I wish I had known exactly how extreme the winters are here... THEY ARE COLD AND LONG... so be prepared. The summers are amazing though, so they make up for the extended cold.

I feel like I came prepared.

Gray

That I should have let my guard down and been more social from the beginning because good things would happen.

I wish I would've known how well respected and well known NMU is in the professional world.

Rochelle

Nothing, basically there were no surprises

There is not any questions that were not answered during orientation or by any of the staff. I was very well informed and love it here.

how hard it was to get a job around the marquette area

Brenda

not sure

How harsh the winters can be!

Kati

I knew all I needed to know before I came to Northern Michigan University.

Nathaniel

I wish I had known how much this university cares about the environment and how it is willing to teach the students here how to better take care of the environment.

That's it's winter forever.

I wish I had known that sometimes the adminstration doesn't always have things together and can send you running around. I also wish I had known to buy my books online because the college bookstore charges way too much!