Aberdeen, SD
Northern State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern State University

Caitlyn

Northern State University is a tight-knit, family-like environment that makes you feel at home. These people become like a family away from your real family. The professors genuinely care about you and your success, in and out of the classroom. They go out of their way to make sure you know the material and you succeed in the classroom. Everyone on campus supports one another and has each others' backs.

Kendall

I enjoy the small size of Northern, I am very involved with a club called AWAREWolves and I am loving it! With Aberdeen, SD being a smaller town there isn't much to do, when it's nicer out side we can at least hangout outside in the nice weather. There's more summer actives than winter, besides sporting events.

People who aren't serious about school.

Anyone who is dedicated to attending school.

What's the Greek scene like?

The school is too small for Greek life.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The freshman dorm is the farthest dorm from campus and it's a crappy walk to classes when it's cold.

Northern State University is a great small town university! The campus is gorgeous and very walkable. The Faculty and Staff are very helpful and the class sizes make you feel comfortable and like you actually know the teacher as opposed to being one out of 100 in a class. It is a very affordable school with teachers who know their subject matter and care about giving a quality education at an affordable price.

Ellie
Amazing Land Called Northern

Amazing Land Called Northern

Its a small campus, where you will know all. Your professors all know you by name. It feels like a private school but we are public. If you are in sports the town turns out to watch you when you are home in Aberdeen. If you are musically inclined there is an amazing fine arts department. So come to Northern and be yourself.

Kendall
NSU

NSU

They have lots of week activities but it's a huge bummer, that they don't have any activities during the weekend because I don't go home a lot and I'm a freshman so I don't have a job so I get super board on the weekend. I don't party so I just sit in my room alone at night.

Luke

If I could time travel I would go back and tell myself to talk to more people. Talk to more professors, more freshmen, more upper classmen, more foriegn students. I would tell myself to be more open to new things. I wish I could go back and walk around the halls of my dorm and introduce myself to more people. I think that if I would have done those things I would have had an easier time during my first semester.

I wish I would have known that just because you declare a major doesn't mean you have to start taking classes designated for that major as a freshman. I wish I would have taken a more broad selection of classes during my first semester.

Someone who doesn't like small town feelings shouldn't come here. Northern State and Aberdeen itself are small population but very close to one another. Walking around campus you see the same faces almost every day. If you don't like knowing everyone or you want a new face every day you shouldn't come here.

Mariah

I would tell myself to keep my door open at all times, that way I could meet so many more people. I would tell myself not to worry so much about all the different kinds of people and judgement - because most people don't care. I would tell myself that college is worth it and the friends I will make are friends I will have for a lifetime. I would tell myself to get involved in a bunch of campus activites. I would tell myself that Northern State University is the right college to pick and that there is no better place to go to college and have a great socail life!

I would say the student-teacher ratio is the best thing about Nothern. You really get a great education with less than 30 students in most classes. Otherwise the people are just wonderful and so kind in Aberdeen, SD.

Someone who is not looking for a huge college but still wants a great education should attend NSU. We have great education and business schools! If you do not like a small town feel you should not attend.

Andrea

I think I would tell myself to apply for scholarships even if I'm not sure on the outcome of who will get it. Meaning, take a chance. And I would tell myself that there's nothing to be stressed out about as long as I do my best and not worry about what others think of me. I'd also tell myself that even if people treat you like a target for teasing in high school, doesn't mean people in college will. And to take a chance at getting to know guys - not everyone will act as immature as high school boys. College can be a chance to come out of a shell that you've been in for years. The college will have counseling services that you can go to if you need help.

I think that the only thing I don't like is the very early classes - the ones that start at eight am. But the science classes could be shorter. I really cannot complain about Northern State University, because every experience has been great so far. Northern State University has provided everything that I could ever imagine having at a college or university. There is, however, one more thing I don't really like...one residence hall is located furthest from the rest of campus - having students cross a street that does get busy at certain times. Otherwise, I cannot complain.

I would have to say that someone that doesn't want to be there shouldn't. If they don't care where they end up, then they shouldn't go to any college or university. If they do care, then they should be there; but if they are just there to appease their parents, then they should consider not applying for colleges until they are ready to make their own decisions. College will always be there til they are ready, but it's their decision whether or not if they care.

Devena

My school is welcoming, professional, and it wants to see its students succeed.

My school is welcoming, professional, and it wants to see its students succeed.

Knowing what I do now, if I were able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much and to enjoy life more. Yes, college is hard, but professors do genuinely want to see their students succeed. Do not focus all of your extra classes on your major, but do explore other avenues. It is a big, wide world, and there are so many creative and wonderful things that exist outside of your career, although that is wonderful, too. Trust your decisions. You are a hard worker, and you are smart. You will make it through college and anything else life throws your way. Make sure to take time to be with the people that you love, because they are more important than anything else, even your education. Education is still important, of course, but do not ever forget why you went to college. You want to make the world a better place. Hold onto that, and everything else will turn out fine. That is what I would tell my high school self.

The must frustrating thing about my school was the fact that it did not offer much for graduate programs.

jamie

You know how you are feeling burnt out due to the heavy school class choices you made? You really just want to work with your hands due to that feeling right now. The problem is that years from now when you have done all the things that are morally right, but chose to work with your hands instead of your brain, your body will be broken and your family will suffer. You are smart for a reason. That reason is to better the world around you. Look at the big picture, and see that with a great education you will have a career instead of a job. You will have more time for your family and more money to better care for them. When you adopt four kids, on top of the two you create, you will be able to provide everything they need as well as teach them to do the same for themselves. I know you think that getting an early start will help you save for the future. I know that you think you owe it to your families business to carry on a legacy. The truth is you owe more to your future.

Northern State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.