Aberdeen, SD
Northern State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern State University

jamie

You know how you are feeling burnt out due to the heavy school class choices you made? You really just want to work with your hands due to that feeling right now. The problem is that years from now when you have done all the things that are morally right, but chose to work with your hands instead of your brain, your body will be broken and your family will suffer. You are smart for a reason. That reason is to better the world around you. Look at the big picture, and see that with a great education you will have a career instead of a job. You will have more time for your family and more money to better care for them. When you adopt four kids, on top of the two you create, you will be able to provide everything they need as well as teach them to do the same for themselves. I know you think that getting an early start will help you save for the future. I know that you think you owe it to your families business to carry on a legacy. The truth is you owe more to your future.

Tabitha

Northern is an open, friendly school filled with excessive diversity and hints of tradition; it houses successful students who aspire to make their mark in life and establish lasting relationships.

It is okay to be nervous about the future, but you must realize the path ahead will be a winding road. The uncertainty you hold is part of your adventure through life. You will never fully know where you are going, what you may desire to become, or who you may encounter, but with each you will discover yourself. Every turn, every stumble along the uneven path, will reveal to you something of beauty. Whether this beauty be knowledge, skill, passion, love, faith, endurance, inspiration, or honor, you will grow as a person and find your meaning in life. If plans do not go as anticipated, do not allow yourself to falter. Continue walking confidently towards tomorrow. There are many forms of success and many ways to achieve it. Always be true to yourself, remember your roots, be open-minded, and forever fill your days doing what you love. Enjoy the journey as it unfolds.

As an art student, I find that many of the peers I associate with daily are unsure of who they want to become. I realize this is a standard phase among artists, which is why I tend to incorporate non-art students in my social groups.

Abbey

As a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy my time. I think a lot of time I was so worried about the future and what was going on right now, that I didn't work to enjoy my last year of high school. Also, I would tell myself to keep working hard. As for transition to college life, it's different than I imagined. I was thinking freedom, lots of time, no stress, and partying. However, I would tell myself that that is not the case! In college you still have to work hard if not harder, you don't have as much time as you think, so you cannot procastinate, and there is stress because proffessors still have exams and quizzes all on the same day. I would definitely tell myself not to worry though, and to continue working towards my goals and doing what I love to do. Keep being me!

I really like the atmosphere and the fact that the campus is a smaller campus. It makes getting to know people a lot easier and it also makes finding where you are going ten times easier. Also, the students are very friendly and are willing to help you if you have any questions. Professors are very interactive and make the subjects they teach very interesting. They also make time for students to come and talk to them by having office hours that span over a wide range of times. I really like Northern and the family feeling.

I knew a lot of what there was to know about Northern before I attended. I have lived in the same town and been around it for years.

NSU students are a fantastic sort of people who are burgeoning with potential, a sense of community, philosophical concepts, and scholarly drive all while maintaining an almost rabid interest in protecting and encouraging all cultural and racial things which they have never been exposed to prior to their collegiate career.

Northern can claim its greatest and most unique quality is its students. Students here are the most open minded people who thrive on achievement. However, the individual majors offered at the school seem to form a cohesive bond with those involved with each major. These people, whom you’ll spend most of your time at with, evolve into a group that functions like an extended family. While there is a sense of competition, it isn’t cut throat, it’s a determination for the group to succeed as a whole. It’s very fulfilling sense of belonging and community.

While I believe everything which happens helps shape us into the people we are today, I admit there are a couple great regrets from my high school to college transition. I never took that year off to study a foreign language and now I am left with a basic and conversational level understanding of Spanish (which is hardly a gleaming addition to a resume). It would have benefited me greatly to sacrifice a vacation and buy Rosette Stone to learn Russian for my current field. Sociology comes easy to me as it’s been in my family for generations…had high school me just managed to accept this, I would have saved $12,000 from that costly flirtation with the education major. I would have been a lot happier had I just gone to NSU right away because it’s an entire school of open-minded people who love debate and conversation. I would’ve also encouraged myself to be more social and outgoing. College friends connect with you on a deeper level because they share similar goals and aspirations and encourage you to strive for a better grasp of your creative and scholarly self.

Jenny

Small classroom sizes and easy to get around campus.

Small classroom sizes and easy to get around campus.

I would never have the valuable experiences that I do today or have met all of the wonderful people that I did without attending college. It was a great experience overall and I think it helped contibute to the well-rounded person that I am today. It also helped prepare me for the vast amount of challenges that you have face on a day to day basis in the real world.

Jeff

I am currently getting ready to attend an online university. I do this as I have children and this will enable me to continue to care for them and attend school. What I have already gotten out of this experience is the ability to be flexible in my life and still get what I want (in this case, a higher education). I look forward to expanding my mind and filling it with new information and building a foundation of knowledge that will enable me to create a solid career and better care for my children. Thanks!

Northern is best known for its highest gauranteed scholarship and our teaching program. as long as the student has an ACT score of 21 or higher they are gauranteed a 4 year scholarship. our teaching program is well known because Northern was originally opened as a teaching school in 1901 and has continued to uphold its renowned reputation ever since.

attending college has given me a variety of experiences that i wouldnt have otherwise been able to experience. not only have i been given the privilage to experience higher education, but i got to do this in an environment that wants me to succeed. i have learned how to be independent but still to know when to askw for help. this has been valuable to me because this skill is one that i will use no matter where my degree takes me. i have also learned what it means to have true friends. i have friends from high school, but once we went away to college they changed. by making new friends at school, who have the same ideals and values that i do, i realized that i can have friends from both areas but only one group will fully understand me and the descions that i decide to make for my life. this is valuable to me because it is better to learn sooner who you can count on and turn to in a time of need. over all college has helped me grow and learn what is best for me.

Northern provides an atmosphere that feels like you have been there and know these people your whole life. this is a nice feeling to have because it is nice to know there is always someone to go to and you never feel alone. attending school in a place you are comfortable, helps relieve the stress of being in a new environment. you can focus on the real reason you are at school; to get an education and better your life.

Meghan

My school is the perfect size, and is there to help you every step of the way.

My school is the perfect size, and is there to help you every step of the way.

There was a lot about high school that i wouldn't change, because i think learning from my mistakes has helped. One thing i wish i would have done differntly is the order i took my classes. I took all of my really hard classes in my first couple of years. It seemed nice my senior year, but i have forgotten most of what i had learned. I also took a college bound english class my senior year that i didn't take very seriously. In the end i got a B, and i was satisfied with it at the time. Now that B is the one grade that holds me back from a 4.0. In high school i never knew how important every grade was, and i wish i would have understood that the extra effort would have totally been worth it.

The wost thing about my school is the limited class options. It was hard to schedule my second semester, because they offered most generals around the same time so they all conflicted.

I think Northern is unique because we encourage people to step outside of their boundries instead of further defined themselves by those boundries. A computer geek can also be a star football player or a cheerleader can have a top GPA. We don't stress academics or creativity, we stress academic creativity!

The most enchanting and dangerous thing about college is the social life. There's going to be a lot of times when it's tempting to just kick back and enjoy the company of people who really do love the same things as you do, but make sure you put some time aside for studying. Friends can always be contacted later, papers on the other hand have a pretty brutal due date. The work won't be harder but there will be more of it and the expectations will still be just as high as in that AP class. Just set aside about 2 hours every night (it's really not that much you'll be up until 2 in the morning, don't worry) and make sure you get those papers done. Also private colleges are really not for you, stick to public colleges, the people are more fun and the classes get much more animated!

Northern is a school for any open - minded talented, creative, hard working individual. We're very adament about acceptence and being strong not only as an individual but as part of a whole.

Northern State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.