Northern State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern State University

Joy

In my opinion I believe northern state is a great university to attend for everyone. Personally, I went here because they are known for having a great education program. I love that they are all so welcoming and polite. I feel like Northern goes out of there way to help the people who are unsure of who they are, to help them see that they fit in, and I love that. I would totally recommend this school to people all around the country.

Edna

AVOID! Do not go here. Faculty say negative remarks about one another, fellow students are unmotivated and don't care about learning at all, and the atmosphere is just super bleak and depressing. Lots of shady business and gossip in campus, including how President Downs got kicked out after his provost also got fired for having an affair with the secretary. BLABERDEEN is an awful town to live in with nothing to do except drink and do drugs, so find a more prestigious college like SDSU, USD or better yet, go to UNOmaha or UNLincoln.

Kendall

I enjoy the small size of Northern, I am very involved with a club called AWAREWolves and I am loving it! With Aberdeen, SD being a smaller town there isn't much to do, when it's nicer out side we can at least hangout outside in the nice weather. There's more summer actives than winter, besides sporting events.

Kendall

They have lots of week activities but it's a huge bummer, that they don't have any activities during the weekend because I don't go home a lot and I'm a freshman so I don't have a job so I get super board on the weekend. I don't party so I just sit in my room alone at night.

Ellie

Its a small campus, where you will know all. Your professors all know you by name. It feels like a private school but we are public. If you are in sports the town turns out to watch you when you are home in Aberdeen. If you are musically inclined there is an amazing fine arts department. So come to Northern and be yourself.

Northern State University is a great small town university! The campus is gorgeous and very walkable. The Faculty and Staff are very helpful and the class sizes make you feel comfortable and like you actually know the teacher as opposed to being one out of 100 in a class. It is a very affordable school with teachers who know their subject matter and care about giving a quality education at an affordable price.

Mariah

I love the campus and the small class sizes! The professors are all very friendly! The campus is constantly being updated. There are new dorms being built currently. The academic advisers are all very knowledgeable and are willing to help you in any way.

Northern State University is a good school, and the Aberdeen community is very involved and supportive of NSU students. You can often find local business' that offer discounts for NSU students! Another benefit to NSU is how diverse the student population is here. Whether you are from South Dakota, or France, you will find a place to fit in here!

Esther

Since the school is in a town where not a lot of things happen, the school should organize more events or work with the mayor to do things that are fun and the students can be involved in. Also, their international program is the best I've seen so far, especially because I am an international student too. They always make sure that you feel loved and that you never feel homesick.

Caitlyn

Northern State University is a tight-knit, family-like environment that makes you feel at home. These people become like a family away from your real family. The professors genuinely care about you and your success, in and out of the classroom. They go out of their way to make sure you know the material and you succeed in the classroom. Everyone on campus supports one another and has each others' backs.

Samwel

Northern State is a great school with great community surrounding it. Students have the tools they need to succeed with the smaller class sizes and the open office hours of the instructors. There is plenty to get involved with in campus from clubs to inter-mural sports and leagues.

Brelynn

If you want to feel like you belong and your education and your opinions matter come to NSU. Last year I was a freshman and I was so scared but everyone was so welcoming from day one. NSU has pretty small classes so you can get more attention from your professors . NSU is in Aberdeen, SD so it is big enough to have things you want like a target and Walmart but not so big that there is a lot of traffic. We also have a fine arts center and are building a new science center. Athletics , art , and music are all celebrated when you become a NSU wolf . The Food is good but not a lot of variety , that is the only "negative" thing I would have to say about NSU . Otherwise its great. Their is also free counseling and tutoring for students. Professors and the people here are so nice and excepting , and the professors care so much about your education and if your getting the material.

Jordyn

Northern is very friendly and always welcoming to newcomers and current student. Staff are always available when you need them, and the campus is very safe. The class sizes are small and the professors really do care about their students, and they go out of ther way to make sure the students are okay.

Jocelyn

Northern State University is a wonderful college located in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Here there are wonderful faculty members that wish the best for their students, as well as hope to see them succeed in all that they do. The experiences and opportunities here are very welcoming, fun, and enjoyable for not only the students here, but the community members as well. They have something here for everyone to enjoy.

Madeline

It is a small school. Because of this, there are many nice classmates and teachers that you get to know well. I would say that there is a huge art scene because of its reputation as the best art school in South Dakota. The only downside is the weather, which is brutal.

Kori

I love Northern State University. It has a very friendly and welcoming environment. The class sizes are smaller so professors can truly get to know you. The professors and academic advisors are extremely helpful and want to see you succeed. There are countless clubs and organizations to join on campus. Overall I am glad I decided to study at Northern.

Tyra

Northern State University has provided the perfect home away from home for me as I have pursued my dream career. It's small atmosphere has created a wonderful community on campus. The small class size allows for professors to teach with the specific needs of students in mind. Many times, classes are not just lecture but student lead discussion and hands on learning. The professors are truly there to help you become the best version of yourself. As for campus activities, there is always plenty to do. Our Campus Activities Board works hard to hear what the students want and provide us with the opportunities to experience them. Counselors, health facilities, and advisors are only a few of the many support systems Northern has. Making lasting friendships, achieving a good education, and enjoying life as you go are what make Northern students proud to be a Wolf!

Danielle

I think that this college is a perfect place for a small town student to go for future college students. The teachers are always there to help the students with their education. The size of the campus is a perfect size as well. The buildings are a close proximity in which is perfect for walking and/or riding bikes on campus.

Roko

I love Northern State University and I view it as my second home, but there are some things it should be worked on. In my opinion, the biggest problems are campus food and academics. Food did get better, but there is a lot of room for improvement. In some of the departments, professors should include different types of learning the material rather than sticking with one they are the most comfortable with.

Makenna

I think that Northern State University is an overall great place. I had my mind set on a different school until I went to visit NSU. Every person that I met at NSU was really nice. Visiting NSU was a great experience and I feel like I would be very comfortable living in the new NSU dorm rooms. Overall, NSU was just a great place in general and I think I would be very happy there.