Northern Virginia Community College

« See more reviews of Northern Virginia Community College

Freshmen just need to get to know the ropes to do well - but everything in life is an adjustment. There are several groups on campus - all religions and ethnicities - and everyone gets along well. Most students wear jeans/casual dress, but some do like to make fashion statements. Most of the students live locally, but there is also a good international student body developing. Financial backgrounds of the students are very diverse - all ends of the financial spectrum. The commonality is all want to do well and succeed. Students do talk about how much they'll earn one day, and expectations are probably higher than reality, but given the economy and inflation, they may be right.

The students at NOVA are very different. They come in all different shapes and sizes and represent different parts of our world. Being on campus 5 days a week, I observe a lot of different activities that the students take part in. In the cafe, there are card games going on. Everything from Pokemon to Go Fish. On the floors of NOVA, there are students talking or getting that last minute study in before a test or quiz. The best thing about the student interaction is that no one is singled out. Everyone comes together, whether the race or culture background.

The students at my school vary from kids coming out of high school to adults and single parents like myself coming back to school after many years to finish their degree. It is amazing and fun to see how the different generations interact and learn from each other when paired in groups to learn and work together. There are many types of people on campus. People of all genders, races, and religions and I think everyone does a good job of getting along. I have not once seen or heard of a fight on campus.

Nobody really talks to each other or tries to make conversation so I honestly couldn't tell you. I think everyone feels welcome here because people don't invade other peoples space. Students usually look like they rolled out of bed. Dining hall? Empty and trash on them. Students are mostly from high schools around the area. Financial background is middle to lower class. Students are NOT politically aware at all. It's kind of depressing.

The students at this school are very nice. When I sometimes walk by tha hallways or im at the library people that i dont ecen know talk to me. They are also very helpful. Most classmates that i really dont know are willing to help. The students that would feel out of place in this school are those students who are only into partying and games. Most studenst in this school are into their education and they take it very seriously. :-D

There is just one word that can describe NVCC Annandale Campuse which is VARIETY. I have seen people on Campus from all over the world. Most of them are friendly, but even if we have the popular and loser team... college is nothing like high school, everything is more complex. Also, there are a lot of activities for all students: international, out-state, in-state, local students and even for students that are taking online classes.

I got to know a girl named Felicia. She is a sephomore at VCU but she is taking summer class at NOVA. We get along well and actually help each other a lot on homework. She's so nice and kind that we keep talking more after class and in break time. The shyness I felt on first day has gone because I obviously can have someone to lean on like Felicia. School has never been this amazing before.

The students that attend NOVA are from all over the world. In fact, my best friend is from the Ukraine. On in given day, the campus is buzzing with many different activities all organized by the students. There are many different clubs and groups to join (International Students, Community Outreach, Environmental Awareness, LGBT, SGA, Psychology, Biology and many many more).

There are attempts at groups and activities, but really, the student body isn't too united at all. Fun activities happen, but they seem out of place and awkward. Student interest is zero. The only people that hang out at school are either smoking, playing computer games or dungeons and dragons or are talking obnoxiously about lame NOVA parties.

Most people at NOVA are stuck in that cycle of constantly changing majors and may be stuck there until their parents pull the money from them. However, there are plenty of people who are there to save tens of thousands of dollars. Plenty of people who have the grades and skills to move on to a university or career afterwards.