Northern Virginia Community College

« See more reviews of Northern Virginia Community College

looking back on myself as fresh out of highschool, there are many things that I wish I had known. If I were able to give myself a pep talk at that time from the point of view I now have, there are a few things I would have strongly highlighted. Primarily I would have impressed upon myself the importance of consistency in mental motivation as well as academic motivation. I would have reminded myself that the goal of education is not the grade, but fulfillment of your intellectual abilities. I have discovered learning to be about so much more than grades and in order to learn anything correctly, the subject must be appreciated and cherished. I wish I had known how to develope a relationship with my studies as I now know how to do. One should choose classes like one chooses freinds, there should be something about them that already interests you, which will captivate your mind and motivate you to get to know the subject more. Being driven by grades and not love of the subject matter ends in exhaustion, frustration, and ultimate unhappiness. If you study what you love, good grades will follow as will intellectual fulfillment.

Get yourself out there! The best advice I could give is that no one can get to know you if you don't let them! Even though it can be difficult to talk to new people, others are just as nervous as you are and will appreciate a friendly conversation. Sitting silent in class, leaving as soon as class is dismissed, and avoiding extra-curriculars out of a fear of not knowing anyone only ensures one thing: that you will continue to not know anyone. The first step is to strike up a conversation with someone in class. Since you are already taking the class together, you have something in common and have straightforward topics of conversation. Once you get to know people, you can find out their interests, what campus activities they do, and where they catch up with friends. Even if you don't become best friends with the first few people you meet, they may introduce you to other people or to great activities that will become a lasting part of your life. If nothing else, you will have reached out to others and made their lives better. Now that's something to be proud of!

Dear Jazmyn This is my letter of advice to you about college life. Jazmyn earn your education while it’s free, because there will come a point when nothing is free. You are still in high school so you are probably not thinking about college expenses. Studying is the key to your success. Step up your study habits, because once you enter college it’s a serious necessity in order to pass. Secure a job and start saving, so you won’t have to take out loans. Do not procrastinate , assignment deadlines come up quickly, it’s better to work on projects and essays in advance. When you start college don’t be afraid to join different student groups and organizations, but don’t put your GPA at risk by getting involved in too many activities. Time management is key! Most importantly, HAVE FUN. This is a major milestone in your life, so make the most of it. Make memories to tell your friends and family. Your ultimate goal in college is to earn an education and prepare for your career. Don’t let anyone stray you away. Jazmyn put God first in everything you do. love you!!!!

After completing high school, many things changed for me. I assumed that after graduation, it was all fun and games. I didn't quite understand the meaning of 'Kicking it into high gear', or 'The sky is the limit'. Like most of my peers, I began attending college in the Fall of 2008; however, I had other priorities that eventually took my full attention. In the Spring of 2009, I began working at a small town cafe. This was my first job out of high school and I was promoted to supervisor within a year. My job quickly took top priority over my schooling and I began working full time. Although I placed my education temporarily on hold, I continued to experience on the job training which made me realize the importance of obtaining my degree for further advancement in my field of interest. Knowing what I know now, I would tell my high school self that I must surround myself with people with the same drive, goals, and priorities as myself. I would also tell myself that everyday is a learning lesson and there will always be more goals to be achieved

I wasted time because I lacked of information before I went to Northern Virginia Community College. Thus, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would help myself prepare three things. First, English is the most important thing need to be developed. I must seriously study on the right track, which is focusing on listening and speaking, to avoid being confusing in my first year. Second, I had to learn the convenient of Internet. Everything is on the internet so I would tell myself go look for information of schools and I would recommend Northern Virginia Community College as the top of the list. Lastly, knowing about the favorite major is the key to success. I should ask myself at that time to gather more information about pharmacy, the career I liked. Therefore, I could have a full image in my head about what a pharmacist really does and how to be a pharmacist. Thanks for the chance to go back in time. I think I would fix some mistakes I made in study so I wouldn't waste much time struggling around as I did.

If I could talk to to myself as a high school senior I would have many things to say. First of all I would go and tell myself to find job now and before the financial crisis started. That way you will be able to have more money put away because all of the scholarships you were hoping to get will not come through. You need as much financial security possible when you put your self through college. I would also tell myself through the mess of classes and money to not forget that you family is what is most important and sometimes takes more priority over everything else. That sometimes distractions would arrise but it is still important to go to class and meet deadlines. You need to establish a good relationship with you future professors and peers. You never know who will be helpful or with you to you in the future and its important to have a good buzz around your name. Lastly and most importantly I would tell myself that no matter how dark and how scary the future may seem there is always a brightside if you take the time to find it.

Knowing what I know now about making the transition from high school to college life, I would tell my high school self to enjoy having everything done for you; that would be the main difference between high school and college for me. There were constant reminders of when assignments were due, constant encouragement to do homework, etc. However, college is a compeltely different story. No one is there to remind you of when you need to turn things in, it's all on you to remember. The professors don't care if you come to class or not, it's your own responsibility to want to be there because it doesn't phase them either way. For example in high school, there were a plethora of inventives for students to come to school and keep absences at a minimum. But in college if you don't show up to class, you can easily fall behind and fail, it's just that simple. Your parents aren't forcing you to go, it's totally up to you whether or not you go, whether or not you pass your classes. You really get a taste of the real world.

If I were able to visit myself as a high school senior to give advice, I would tell the old me to be more mature. The importance of maturity in life as well as the classroom would have done wonders for me now if I had it. High school was a time when my maturity level was quite low, I would neither study nor complete assignments when they were due. Maturity is the single most important aspect in succesful learning. Focus and drive are both derived from maturity and having that at a young age is extraordinary. In retrospect, my former lack of focus and drive was repulsive compared to the person I am now. I am a completely different person than I used to be and I see education as a reward and not a hassle as I once formally did. If I had known to follow my own path sooner and act more like an adult when those around me were nothing but, I would be in a much brighter future. Seeing as that I cannot actually go back in time, I will continue and strive to be the best I can be in my academic career.

"You need to write this 3000 word essay by tomorrow and it must be perfect because I'm preparing you for college." That is the most redicoulous statement I have ever heard. Why are high school educators so concentrated on making life difficult for their students? If I could go back in time and prepare myself better for college life, I would do so by realizing that school is not as hard as high school educators make it out to be. College life is fun, and provides an excellent learning enviornment. If more high school students were prepared for what college actually is, and not how hard it will be and how they will probably not succeed, I feel that more students would try to get in school, I feel students would do better, and I feel that students would be better prepared to handle the responsiblities of college. So, what would I tell myself if I could go back in time? I would tell myself to not worry, college is not hard, not easy, but not hard, and is a very enjoyable learning expierence.

There are some things about life you can only figure out through experience. If i had the ability to speak to high school me, I am sure I would assure myself about one thing. As a senior I was worried about many things a typical high schooler would not have on their mind. I was worried that, despite my good academic standing I would not be continuing my education. My single mother of five beautiful girls, could not afford to take on the burden of the cost of college. Although I was devastated, I did not blame anyone for my situation and decided to make the best of it. I would go back in time and tell myself that there are options out there. College is not only for the wealthy. I would emphasize the benefits of a community college and tell myself that my dream of becoming a doctor is achievable. I would also explain to myself that the transition to college level classes are not as difficult as one might perceive. There are many people around campus there to help you and make your life easier.