Northern Virginia Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern Virginia Community College

Makayla

My opinion on northern Virginia community college is that it’s a great place to learn and save money before transferring to a big university. The counselors and most teachers care about your well being. I would recommend nova to many people, they support your decisions whether it’s to transfer or complete an associate degree with that college.

Diana

It is a really good school. Students are ready to learn and professors are ready to teach. The professors make time for students and the security is really tight and friendly which makes it a good environment. The students are well connected. Activities are well thought out which leaves room for students to participate.

Valencia

NVCC is a very good school even though it is a community college. The school is very divserse and there is a large international community. The teachers are great, flexible, and great at what they do. The school does not offer many activities but the ones they have are decent. We don't have many sports teams and the ones we do we compete recreationally. The cacería food is terrible though. Overall it's a decent school.

Jackie

Northern Virginia Community College is a good school for students from various backgrounds especially in a suburban area both the teachers and staff are friendly and kind to students for specific needs whether it's requesting more time to booking appointments.

Overall I think NOVA is an amazing community college. I love how there are many campuses and the Woodbridge campus is 10 minutes away from me. I appreciate the evening classes so that I can go right after work. The teachers respond to my emails within a day and when I have questions they have been very helpful in answering them. I would recommend NOVA to anyone who wants to experience college at an affordable price compared to Universities.

Ozian

Hello Everyone, My overall opinion about Northern Virginia Community College(Alexandria) is Great. I love everything about the school, the class sizes are perfect and all the teachers are there always available to help students even if you are not their students. All the staff are wonderful and always happy and willing to help weather it is typing your English paper to how to transfer they always have your back.

Alisha

Overall, I am quite impressed with what NVCC has to offer. I had never known about the concept of a community college before but NVCC far exceeded my expectations and make me wonder why anyone would spend so much money enrolling in a 4-year​ university straight away! NVCC students are focused on their work and this work ethic has motivated me to work hard and achieve good grades. Thank you NVCC!

William

Northern Virginia Community College is the ideal place to get an education and get help with anything you need. The teachers there are very friendly, no one hastes to go ask them questions, especially after class times. Transportation is really simple, unless you know your way around in the car or on the bus. The atmosphere is inviting, and there are facilities that are convenient for students to go to. The food is good, save for the high prices. Nonetheless, if you want to save money, go to community college. They'll have staff ready to help you step by step with financial aid, counselors for your academics and overall years you'll spend in the school

Chanmary

Overall, Northern Virginia Community College is a great school for students who have financial struggles, or who want a stepping stone before going into a four year university. The campus is clean, and I feel extremely safe. It is very easy to navigate as well.

Christian

Overally, it is a very good college. NVCC has many campuses to choose from and a wide variety of communities to be involved with. My major is nursing so I go to the Springfield Campus. My experience there has been wonderful. My peers are very helpful and we do our best to help each other. The professors usually do not "teach"; however, a few stand out that help to guide us along the way.

I must preface this review by saying that so far, I have only attended at Northern Virginia Community College's Woodbridge Campus - which, from what I understand, is highly inferior to the main Annandale Campus. I will start with my negative opinions of the campus, and say that there a lot of things lacking at this particular location. There are no on-campus housing options, and the nearby off-campus housing options (so far as I am aware) do not actually have any affiliation with the school whatsoever. I have not looked too closely into these options, however, because I simply commute to school from home. The food provided on campus is of decent quality, but is usually overpriced given the quality and portion sizes. There are a few clubs and extracurricular activities available at my campus, but they are few and far between, and either inapplicable to me or difficult to get involved in. The only upside to this is that quite a few of them of them are support groups for people of color and those in the LGBT community, which I appreciate (my brother and some of my dearest friends being members of these communities). I will now discuss my positive reviews of the campus. Many people are inclined to think poorly of community college because they believe that it provides an inferior education to a more expensive four-year school. In my experience, this is inaccurate. While I have had a few bad experiences, the vast majority of my professors so far have been incredible people with great classroom manners and extensive knowledge in their fields. So long as prior research is done on the various professors who teach whatever course(s) you need to take, and you are prompt about signing up for their particular course sections when enrollment is made available, I see no reason why you should not have as wonderful and fulfilling of a classroom experience as a student attending at a four-year college. The Woodbridge campus is also highly diverse - people of color, people with physical/mental disabilities, members of the LGBT community, and students from abroad actually seem to make up the majority of the student population there. I have had the great fortune of meeting and interacting with some truly amazing people, whom otherwise I might never have spoken with. Overall, I am very fond of this school. I usually bring my own lunch with me to save money and to eat healthier, and I am not terribly interested in joining any groups or extracurricular activities, so the downsides I have mentioned don't really affect me all that much. The benefits to attending here - for the most part - have vastly outweighed any negativity. I plan to continue attending at Northern Virginia Community College until I earn my Associate's Degree, but I daresay that even once I transfer and begin pursuing my Bachelor's Degree at another school, I will be taking many good experiences and memories with me.

josue

It's a great school, I really enjoyed spending my semester here and getting help from my adviser on making the right decision in my academic performance. I recommend my friends to go there if they're having trouble in academically or financially. It's honestly a great way to start college after high school.

Abdul

It is a very good college. Some classes have more than twenty-five students, whilst others are around fifteen to twenty. The food taste great even though I sometimes think they are expensive, but you can always go to the nearby stores to get food for a good price. The professors are well educated and know to do their jobs, especially making the material easier for students to comprehend. The Alexandria campus is extremely safe as students tend to be on their best behavior. There are computers everywhere for students who do not have one. Overall students get their money's worth coming to Northern Virginia Community College and taking high level courses for a very low price.

NOVA is a great school. It is very diverse and has six different campuses to accommodate many different students and majors. NOVA works extremely close to many Virginia area four-year schools, with GMU and VCU being the top schools to transfer to. NOVA is a great school to attend if you are looking to get involved in the community. Everyone there is extremely nice and accepting of others. It is very rare to go to NOVA and not find anything happening there. It is a very artistic and creative school with great art displays in every building. The only downside is that only certain campuses offer certain majors. For example, Woodbridge Campus is great if you like sculpture, painting, and drawing but, Annandale Campus is best if you like dancing. Overall, NOVA was a great school and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Kalisa

NOVA is overall an amazing community college. They offer a variety of resources for financial aid and focus a lot on student success. The professors actually want to work there and they do their part to make sure that the students are comfortable with the class environment. NOVA is a great place to start off at.

Brent

A great community college. Obviously some of the criteria on the list don't apply considering this is not a university. I will say that where NOVA lacks in the traditional college experiences such as extracurricular activities, social events, sense of community (ironic being a "community" college), and school spirit; NOVA excels in academics and affordability. Class size is a plus, and professors, in my experience at least, have always been helpful and available. NOVA is a great stepping stone toward a future at a four-year college institution.

Katie

My overall opinion is that it's nice. It's a little nicer than what I initially thought it would be. However, it's no university campus, so comparing it to one is not relevant. The professors are pretty great and know what they're talking about. Every so often you may get a professor that's nuts. This school is pretty good for a community college.

Huong

Northern Virginia Community College is a great start to any freshman's journey into college. I currently go to the Loudoun Campus since it is the closest to where I reside. Thanks to my start here I can be sure that I'm saving money compared to starting off at a four-year college. While on campus I have encountered the beautiful geese that would swim in the pond-like fountain, found in the center of the campus. ​

Camille

Northern Virginia Community College is best for those who do not know what four-year college they would like to attend, or were rejected by their first choice because NVCC gives everyone a chance. The staff at NVCC is dedicated and hardworking, and are there for each and every student who needs them. The campus itself has a safe and fun culture, with a bookstore and a Starbucks which is every students' dream. Overall, NVCC is a great place for the undecided and people who need a second chance.

Vanessa

NOVA is a good school with the best professors of the are, most of them great people that are willing to help students. Also, is the best place for networking with people that can help in the future. There are many academic and cultural events that can help to get knowledge and meet people.

Lima

During an English class I was taking this semester, there was a new word that I learned about: sonder. The definition? Sonder is defined as the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own. While attending NOVA, that is essentially the feeling I am overwhelmed with every single time I am on campus. It is one of the most diverse places I have ever had the pleasure of attending, since it is filled with so many different kinds of people with their own backgrounds, beliefs and dreams. With over 76 thousand students across the six campuses, I would have to say that NOVA certainly brings in a wide variety of people. This is not to say that the place is overcrowded, though. The small class sizes and facilities across campus gives everybody a chance to be helped and to have their opinions heard. Along with that, the student life is rather decent for a community college. While gaining one's degree is the biggest priority on campus, there are lots of oppurtunities to get involved within the student body or community through the clubs and organizations. Of course, there are also lots of oppurtunities to make some friends. Another part of the whole experience at NOVA is how flexible it can be for one's schedule. Everybody on campus has their own sort of schedule, whether it is because of a job, child or any other sort of commitment. With the flexible classes many oppurtunities available, pretty much anybody can go and get their well deserved degree.

Ronnelle

This community college has everything. Great professors and dozens of other people willing to help you out. They offer tutoring for people who really need it and professors are willing to go the extra mile to help students.

Giovanni

Northern Virginia Community College is a really nice small College. The classroom size is great, and the professors are really nice. I have joined many clubs and organizations, which led to making many friends this 1st year.

Laura

It is a great community college for those that don't have a college in mind when planning to go. With multiple campuses, I don't have a full understanding of clubs and extracurriculars. The Loudoun campus is decent, with nice and intelligent professors. Always do your research when considering different courses and teachers.

Eugene

It was the cheapest option and the most convenient option. My campus had a water main broke, causing a flood. Thus, things have been a little disorganized and chaotic. The academic work is manageable yet somewhat intellectually stimulating. I only took the general studies courses mostly, but the English classes I have taken have been interesting.

Rebekah

Really NVCC is pretty average. I've enjoyed my two years here and its served me well whilst I worked towards my guaranteed admissions agreement to a 4-year-college. That being said, I can't wait go move on- NVCC hasn't really challenged me any more than high school did!

Jerrick

The experience is not special and pretty dull being a community college. Feels like another two years of high school because of most students living in the same house and community. In terms of saving money, it is a great option to cut you some slack with student loans. The education is also just as good as a 4 year university.

Siddharthkumar

It seems like a nice community college, however, it lacks the out-of-class interaction among students at the campus. There is not enough clubs or on-campus activities to pursue. Academically, it seems like a decent college. All the professors are kind and always willing to help. On the other hand, the food is highly expensive. Thankfully, it is surrounded by tons of restaurants such as Chipotle and Taco Bell.

Tavia

I think NOVA is a great place for anybody to start out. Students like myself can receive a quality education at a lower cost. At first, the summer before I started my Freshman year, I was nervous that I would feel as if I were on my own given the fact that NOVA is a community college and that it wouldn't have the "college feel." While NOVA is definitely different compared to a 4-year university, its uniqueness isn't a setback. Many of my fellow peers including myself have been able to attend fun events, take great classes, and work, as well if we desire. There are some awesome professors who truly care about us as students, and they have a passion for what they teach. At NOVA I have built some fantastic friendships, and have paved the way for my future. NOVA isn't the best of the best; it's not a perfect school. But it's a great start.

Yalile

I have been a part of NOVA for more than two years and it has been a great experience. The way for students to enjoy their time at NOVA is by getting involved. There are multiple clubs and the Annandale campus is so diverse, you get to learn about other cultures and personalities. The school gives great opportunites for those seeking to be in leadership roles and want to make a difference on campus.

Jacqueline

Northern Virginia Community College is the school that taught me how to be a better student by inspiring me to adopt new study habits and strategies which has helped my GPA incredibly. I went from a 2.7 in high school to a 3.5 in college. I've also been able to get into my dream school because of the school and it's extremely helpful and kind pathway counseling staff who have been there every step of the way in my journey through my community college experience.

Erin

As far as community colleges go, NOVA really isn't that bad. The teachers are nice, for the most part, though we do have our fair share of unpleasant teachers (but then again, what school doesn't?) and the classrooms are small-- on average, I have about 30 people in each class. Not much going on in terms of sports and greek life doesn't exist here. If you want a school where all you need to worry about is showing up and getting your degree, then NOVA is definitely your school.

Chelsea

This is a good starter school if you are looking to transfer to a four year university to complete a bachelors degree. The professors are very qualified and do a good job of making sure students understand the material. The class sizes are conducive to overall class learning (not too big). The only thing I didn't like was the advising center. You can go to get academic advising, but you are not necessarily assigned one advisor to help you throughout the duration of your time at NVCC.

Victoria

My opinion of Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) was that it was a valuable experience for any high school graduate that is unaware of what they would like to pursue. During my two years at NOVA I was able to accomplish learning the basics in artistic study such as perspective drawing, proportions, and learning to work in a new medium. I completed most of my required courses while attending NOVA and obtained an affinity for art history in the process. Attending NOVA was an affordable option for me and my family. It allowed me to work part time and pay for school. NOVA was a good school overall, however there were some frequent maintenance issues that concerned me. My NOVA Woodbridge campus experienced power outages, gas leaks, and a water main break which flooded the school, as a result there were many class cancellations. In my opinion the advisers and educators at the Woodbridge campus should be re-evaluated as many of them did not provide proper guidance, and they gave poor feedback on assignments which showed their lack of support for the students. If Northern Virginia Community College were to fix these problems, I have no doubt that the school would improve in quality and student quantity.

Farheen

It is good, better than other community colleges. I like the professors a lot. They are helpful. The students are nice as well. I actually never attended any event at the college but i feel there is room for improvement . Overall, i loved my time at northern Virginia community college

1) Flexibility: You can work part time or full time and have access to a class that is offered multiple semesters at varying times of the day. 2) Solid Professors: If you do your research, NOVA offers some high-end professors with amazing experiences and connections if they are within your field of interest. Those professors include an English and poetry professor Nicole Tong and an oceanography and geology professor Doctor Ken Rasmussen. 3) Return on Investment: Classes are cheap and financial aid is available- take advantage of it! If you are a STEM major and plan on transferring, I recommend taking the hard sciences such as biology and chemistry at NOVA. It will save you money and stress and the professors are superb. Tips for transfer students- Beware of credits that do not transfer. If you plan on transferring without an associates degree prepare your course load well. Talk to an advisor who has a connection to your transfer university and start making a relationship with them.

Anya

I think that classes are very nicely sized and students have many opportunities to get help. Most professors are very nice and teach effectively. There are some professors that are awful but you're able to drop that professor and find a new one. Classes are effectively challenging and I feel very confident in my academics.

Kareen

I think it is a diverse area with many opportunities available. The professors are friendly and always willing to help students. There is much help available for students who are struggling with some classes. There are various unique clubs open to anyone wanting to join.

Great institution. Go's above and beyond to ensure academic excellence. I do wish there were more opportunity in terms of internships and scholarships on campus. The student body works very hard to make campus life interesting, which is a intensely commendable thing.

Angy

NOVA overall is a good school. The staff in my department are always willing to help out or go over material we learned in class/go over skills we learned in lab. I know the main problem with our department was that there wasn't enough instructors or funding to help students who needed additional time outside of class, so we made a club where we could help each other out.

Dilma

As soon as you enter through any door there is help, people are friendly. My favorite office is student services. Usually, you would have to sign in and wait till you name was called. Well, now It’s become very easy, you can sign in with a tablet, and they text you when it’s your turn to be seen. This is better because you don’t have to wait in a crowded space, you can go out to the cafeteria and have a snack or just walk around. Their food is the greatest, they have homemade dishes like spaghetti and meatballs, or rice and chili. If you don’t like one thing, then there are others, best of all lines are faster. There are hand Sanitizers everywhere, as well as recycling bans. Usually its hard to identify what’s recyclable and what’s not, especially to students that don’t recycle at home, but they make it easy for everyone by putting posters everywhere. Classes are easy to find because the schools are built with many help centers or front desks, with people who are there to answer any question. Although, now everyone in school faculty and staff have emails, so it’s even faster to talk to them. There are many resources at NOVA, library, where you can get a room to do group work, tutoring center, are the perfect places to get feedback on essays, and the financial aid office; each department has people who can direct you to the correct office and perfect person you can get information from. The Northern Virginia Community College is the best affordable school to get further in your education.

Imani

Returning to school after 3 years of being a homeschool graduate of 2015; NOVA (Northern Virginia Community College) a 2-year college welcomed me as I lived in Northern Virginia for one year from my hometown Pittsburgh, PA. I wanted to pursue my dreams of IT (Information Technology) and I knew nothing on how to sign up or to start taking academic classes, NOVA informed me that they are an open door for all types of students despite on their gender, race, religion, having a high school diploma, GED, no academic history, disability and even people who serve in the military. I was given a student advisor who pointed me to the right directions on taking an English and Math placement test first before starting anything; there was no failing or unfailing just to see were my academic level was at. She advised me to join a program called GAA “Guaranteed Admission Agreement” as a NOVA graduate you are guaranteed and a admission to more than 40 area colleges and universities of your choice when you meet the agreement requirements between NOVA and that university. I proudly choose George Mason University as my transfer University; Go Patriots! I was so new to the area I had a choice to take my classes online as an ELI student (an ELI – Extended Learning Institution student is a student who takes classes online) NOVA allows you to take classes online, and classes at any of their seven campus located in Alexandria, Annandale, Loudon, Manassas, Woodbridge, Springfield, and Reston, Virginia. In Spring of 2018, I started as an official student of NOVA following my dreams of IT! I couldn’t be more excited! Tackling courses in the springtime were hard but I got the job done! Summer of 2018 I took a psychology elective class and fell in love with that class earning myself an A. I contacted my advisor and asked her was there any psychology majors at NOVA and she told me “I’m sorry there are not at psychology majors at NOVA” as my happiness turned sad I really wanted to switch my major and pursue my major in psychology. 43.8 million people suffer from mental health openly and secretly, I’ve always been a good ear and a great source of advice, taking that psychology class I wanted to be more than just a help but to lower the percentage of mental health whether that’s someone being abused, mother and father problems, being unloved, suicidal, trying to fit in or out, self-consciousness and I want to be able to get in their head to tell them it is ok and to just breathe and was my main goal. I wanted to be more active on the nearest NOVA campus, However, I didn’t find Woodbridge campus amusing it was quite silent, and borning every time I came upon the campus yet the other campus like Alexandria and Annadale had so many more student life activities, so I wanted to change that gloomy feeling of NOVA so I did some research on campus clubs and organizations and I came across a club called WISE “Women in Search of Excellence” with female mentors to help guide you with your academic dreams and goals; a sisterhood on campus. They had greeted me with a warm greeting and accepted me into their club. I meet so many amazing women, who had a journey similar and just like mines. I was advised by a mentor that they did have a psychology major on the campus and to talk to someone else regarding my major switch. Therefore I did and found out that they do have psychology as a major and took a big step and switched and I couldn’t be more proud of myself. To finally switch into a major that I am wholeheartedly passioned about warms my heart that I have a future of graduating NOVA with an Associates in Science degree in Psychology then off I go to George Mason University to graduate with a Bachelors degree in Psychology. I wouldn’t change my community college for any other college. My overall views on the campus are the food prices are highly expensive and I would honestly love to see more activities and more security protection at the campus. However, I am so thankful for Nothern Virginia Community College for having the patience, pushing me to my limits, rooting me on, the help I received and guiding me towards what means the most to me in my education and I couldn't thank them enough.

Lisette

I believe Northern Virginia Community College is a great school that provides many opportunities for it's students. The student body is not as close as it should be and everyone seems to do their own thing. Other than that, the professors strive to do their best for their students and encourage them to succeed.

Jesus

Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) is good, as far as Community College goes. It is an affordable 2-year institution that allows anybody, regardless of where they are in life, to start or resume their education, and later continue it at a 4-year university if you choose to do so. There is not much social scene, which is to be expected, as most people are just focused on getting in and out as quickly as they can from NOVA, since they are busy with work and other things.

Grace

The overall experience was awesome. Between first year advisors and faculty advisors there's no way to get off track from graduating on time. Classes are economical and grants flow abundantly. the professors are wonderful, they always seek to help you understand and in most cases will go above and beyond to make sure you've got the knowledge down packed.

Fatima

It’s a great place to start working on your future. It’s not perfect but still pretty good, and the locations of the campuses are great. The people are incredibly friendly, and the professors are almost always willing to help. Like, they really know how to teach.

Misheel

It's my first year here. Though, it's only two year college, I wanted to make it my home and tries to participate in everything and be active. Professors and facilities are caring. They will always be open to help you in their office hours. Classes are small which helps you get the better understanding and make friends. Every campus has it's own advantages. NOVA won't let you down!

carleigh

By going to NVCC, I was able to focus on my academics and develop good study habits that I can carry over to a transfer university. Throughout my fall and spring semester, I met great professors and advisers that helped me figure out a transfer plan. NVCC allowed me to gain a greater sense of my future and what I hope to achieve.

Tasneem Tamanna Binte

It's a college that opens up a variety of options for you and helps you stay driven if you have an aim in life. Most college professors and counselors are super helpful and help to guide the students. Students here have plans which they focus on so not that much of on campus things occur; at least in my opinion. I came here with slight doubts in my mind, but this is definitely a great stepping stone that provides amazing opportunities within itself.

Shayne

There are five campuses of Northern Virginia Community College which is very convenient for student who lived far away from the main campus, Annandale. The professor are also very helpful and you will meet lots of amazing people. I decided to go here to save money as well as because of the guaranteed admission program. It helps a lot when planning to transfer to a university. Attending a community college like NOVA is one of the best decision I made as a first step towards my college experience and also my future career.