Ashland, WI
Northland College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northland College

Annemarie

Northland College is a very close, tight knit community that encourages students to express individuality and be intentional in everyday choices when it comes to the environment specifically. This college is great for prospective students who know they want to go into science or environmental studies, and although the professors are passionate and attentive, the humanities and department at this university proves to be lackluster without much options. There is also a big party, drinking, and drug scene, but little to no peer pressure--everyone respects everyone elses choices. Though, if you need recreation and hate small towns, don't go here, you will get bored.

Alexander

It is just as big as my high school campus, I just feel at home. Everyone knows everyone and its just amazing. Class sizes are small and perfect to get into the class. I wish the dorms were a bit bigger but who don't wish that. The dorms have a home feeling to it. I just feel like I'm at home at college!

Rhett

I transferred from Northland a year ago. I'm currently a 4th / rising 5th year senior at a the flagship state school, and, as a Firstyear, I attended a community college. Overall, Northland is pretty good. Briefly, I'll talk about what makes it good, then I'll mention why I transferred. I had plenty of time to explore academic areas of interest and peers to talk about that exploration with. Students here often have "intellectual conversations", and a lot of it is about environmentalism. However, the heterogeneity of discourse is sparse (and level is due to age -- its all good, ppl are smart and have big hearts). The funding here is A GOOD DEAL! They were very generous with my financial aid, and my family and I are very greatful. In high school, I was a student with middling grades, but showed passion in other areas and got good funding. So can you! Compared to other places, if you feel like Northland is the right fit, even for the time being, the economics are, on average, worth it. Northland was a good fit for two years, and, I ended up transferring because of the below. These are more things Freshppl should look out for, and shouldn't scare anyone away necessarily, but pay attention to these things when you visit (crucial): - the town was too small (I'm a city kid at heart and missed "the heat" of a city - as Don DeLilo once said, pretentiously, but beautifully). You'll end up spending a lot of time in the surrounding area. Two coffee shops, one highway, one mainstreet. Keep this in mind if you are a city kid. - I figured out I wasn't much of a nature kid. I LOVED walking in the paths on the campus grounds, the college owns many acres and that satisfied me, but I guess not a lot of people wanted to walk those paths. Maybe I'm wrong though. It probably was on me. You don't need to be a camper by any means, but a lot of people bond around it, especially men(???) maybe. Again, it could just be me. - If you are in the humanities, there are sort of slim pickings-- There is a countable amount of top-notch profs in History, English/Creative Writing (my program), and Sustainable Com. Dev. -- and, if you don't love one of the profs, you will probably have to take another class with them. -There wasn't a great advising system. I got lost in the advising process and that's 100% on me. Just CARE about what classes you take. This goes for all colleges, especially Northland, where the responsibility to graduate is mostly in your hands. - Do research around blocks and connections requirements. General Ed here was kind of a hassle for me, because of blocks (NOTE: I don't know if this is still the curricula-- please check or ask yourself). imo, it was basically bs if you don't follow the rules properly (which I didn't). Ultimately, I loved Northland for what it was and is. They were generous, and, I guess I just never found my people. That's alright though. It can happen anywhere. Give it a couple years and you might come to love it. I'll never forget the northern lights, the stars, the lake, the paths, and the place. It's also SUUUper safe. 9/10 would do over agian. :) btw, academics at my current place are, like, suuuuuper difficult. Compared to a Research One, the humanities rigor at Northland is fairly do-able. (I can't say for science, but the courses I did take were darn good) Remember, College is not the huge important big deal admissions make it out to be. Colleges (EVERY college) compete and pay a lot of money on optics and recruitment because that's just how things are rn. Honestly, you will be fine wherever you end up. Its about creating a community-- /that/ you can find and create anywhere! I promise!!! OK, now I need to study for a midterm. Peace!

Alexandra

A person who isn't open to alternative forms of learning should not attend this school. Since Northland College is an environmental and liberal school, classes aren't run in the traditional format. Classes may be held outside, may be only discussion-oriented, or run by students altogether. There are many different paths to take, but if you aren't open to new things, Northland isn't for you.

The most frustrating thing about Northland College is the lack of diversity and understanding about multicultural students. As a student from a mixed bakground, there aren't many people that are like me and can relate to me. In a small school, this makes it especially difficult.

Skyler

Coming to Northland College as a transfer student I noticed right off the bat that my peers were a breed apart from most other student populations; the readiness to understand differences and our small size allows for a very close campus community.

While this school is better than most when it comes to environmental awareness, the most frustrating aspect of Northland is, that because of our size, more often than not donor money is not used to improve our environmental efficiency.

John

It is a liberal arts school with a strong emphasis on conservation. Northland College is also a private school with less than 700 students.

That, at times, they don't communicate with their students very well.

Chance

Looking at Northland from the outside you see an Environmental Liberal Arts college. This may seem very specific and uninteresting to the prospective student from the outside looking in. However, Northland has so much more to offer, with its extracurricular activities along with its amazing science program. When I first applied at Northland I picked Environmental Geo-Science as my major, not really knowing what was in store. After just one semester I am now completely in love with my classes and professors that I will have over the next four years!

I experienced a much different path from most high school seniors begin the journey of leaving home and attending college. I spent two years after graduation playing junior hockey away from home before deciding to come to Northland College. Looking back now, I wish I could give my high school self one significant piece of advice; your family is always the one constant in your life, stay close to them. It is an exciting thing to be able to leave home and start a life of independence, but the realization that you are now on your own is a scary epiphany. One thing I can promise every college freshman is that at some point you will hit a rough patch where you feel alone and scared. When this time comes around remember that your family will always be there for you, even though you are now an independent adult, your grandparents, parents, brothers, and sisters still care about you and your well-being. A little advice in your first experiences alone can go a long way. If you are lucky, your grandma might send you a care package filled with those cookies you loved as a kid!

Before coming to Northland I would have liked to be informed of the benefits of utilizing your advisors and professors. With such a small ratio of students to professors there is a massive untapped benefit of communicating with them. Every professor here at Northland takes a personal intrest in me because of how personable I have become with them. Letting them know the way you work and think gives you the benefit of the doubt when the going gets tough and when you want to push yourself to learn more about your field.

Reid

Northland is a great stepping stone for students that have plans to take their lives to greater distances after their highschool and college careers.

Any highschool student that has an interest in the environment should very carefully consider attending Northland College. The college has many hands on classes which makes learning fun and easy to accomplish. There are also many opportunities in the classroom because of the small campus. With having small class sizes, the one on one time with teachers affects your grades for the better. Also if an environmental degree is not for you there are many other options such as a buisness or an art degree for example. This is why anyone intersted in the environment should attend Northland College.

Talyn

Everything your teachers in high school told you was a lie, especially what your English teacher told your class one day. You know what he said, that the professors in college don't care about you or whether or not you fail? That thing that nagged at you in the back of your head despite telling yourself that he was full of it because if it was true you couldn't fathom how you could possibly survive such a dramatic change without some inkling that the people in this large and unfamiliar institution would stop and offer you their hand should you find yourself completely overwhelmed by all of the new obligations you have to balance on your shoulders? He lied. Don't worry, don't sweat it. You, who cries from being publicly embarrassed. You, who still doesn't have their driver's license because the thought of hitting someone with a car terrifies you into a state of near-paralysis. These people, these wonderful college professors...they'll help you. They want to see you achieve. They'll fight tooth and nail for you... You just have to meet them half way. Speak up, is all they ask.

Outdoorsy, close to nature, and very active people should attend this school. Those who like partying and getting involved with the world abroad also can find their homes here.

Molly

Northland College has a deep understanding and history of environmentalism and what it means to be rooted in and with nature. Each class, from science courses to history courses, is delivered with undertones of conservation and the relationship that humans have with the earth. This evident connection that is shared from instructors to students ripples into the social realm of the campus. It is unique to Northland College that the faculty and students are compassionate stewards to our friends and to our home.

In high school, I didn't have guidance to help me decide where to go to school or what to go to school for. As a first generation college student, my parents were nonexistent in the college decision making process and I was left to do everything, guessing as I went along. All of my decisions were 100% my decisions. I didn't even know the difference between a loan and a grant (eventually, I figured it out)! Ultimately, the advice that I would give to my high school self would be to take chances. To go out and say 'yes' to things, to everything. Make yourself vulnerable and put yourself into awkward and uncomfortable situations in order to find the deepest certainties about yourself. Take 3 semesters of Ojibwe, experience different cultures, drop out of college, have a child, and then go back with a force. This is the advice I would give to my high school self because these are a few things that I did do during 'college life' and I wouldn't change any of it. I wouldn't change the bad, or the best, or anything.

The worst thing about Northland College is that the coffee shop uses non-recyclable coffee cups! Most people bring their own mugs but there are those who use those things every day and it is very frustrating! You would think that because Northland is very well known for being eco-friendly and a leading institue in environmentalism that they would put their money where their mouth is. Come on Northland, stick to your guns!

Northland College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.