NorthWest Arkansas Community College

« See more reviews of NorthWest Arkansas Community College

If I could go back in time to give myself advice in high school, I would start the conversation with one simple phrase? ?You CAN achieve your goals?. Life does not wait, no matter how much you procrastinate. Never listen to others that discourage you to follow your dreams, this is YOUR life ? grab what you want, and deserve, and run with it. At the age of 18, you feel that you have more time than necessary to go to college, and in an aspect, that is true. You are never too old to attending college, but doing so soon after high school is much simpler than trying to do so at the age of 30! Once you reach true adulthood, with the responsibilities of trying to earn an adequate income, paying the bills and raising a child, the simple act of going to class can be quite challenging. You deserve the opportunity to acquire the career you wish for, and achieve the goals you have set for yourself and by attending college at a younger age, it will lessen the everyday struggles and stresses of the wonderful life you have ahead of you. Above all, ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would share some very important things. First, I would let myself know that all the hard work that I was doing in high school was worth it. That I might think that it was difficult now but that it would pay off. That I should always work hard to achieve my goals and to join clubs. Joining clubs will help one meet people with the same interests and form friendships. College life can be extremely difficult without friends, so make sure to form friendships. Another area is to use the services that the college provides if you need are struggling or if you need help. Also make sure to keep a planner or calendar with important dates on it, that way you know when everything is due. Another thing is what ever you do, do not procrastinate. Putting assignments off until the last minute will only cause stress and stress is not good. One last thing that I would tell myself is to stay true to myself, don't make stupid decisions. If you do all of this, then college will be a fantastic experience.

I had the perfect opportunity to attend any college or university that I wanted as soon as I graduated high school. I was a smart person: I held a 4.0 GPA throughout school, worked part-time, and loved the responsibilities. Unfortunately, I let those higher education opportunities slip through my fingers because I was too scared to make that transition from high school to college. My high school was great about preparing students for college and educating us about how to make it happen, but I never took advantage of their tips or advice. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get my head out of the gutter. Stop thinking about boys and don't let my home-life situation bring me down. I would tell myself that life only gets harder the longer I wait and I would appreciate the easier schedule as a high school graduate without having to worry about my own kids, full time work, rent, and credit cards to pay. Take the chance now instead of waiting, it will be much easier and I wouldn't regret it.

When I was a high school senior, I was so excited to be going to college because I had everything planned out. Telling everyone that I was going to major in PrePharmacy, join the right sorority and enjoy the college life. Being in college for almost three years, I changed my major from PrePharmacy to Biochemistry to Nursing and deactivated myself from Chi Kappa Rho. I was naive and thought that I had my college career planned out. So as I think about what advice I would give to myself, I would say "Think hardly about what you really enjoy and want to do for the rest of your life. Don't just have one straight path that you think is correct for you, but look at your options! Take an extra AP Chemistry course to see if you really are interested in this field." I would say something like that to myself if I could go back in time, but I wouldn't. My reason. Because going through the changes of major and being in a Christian like atmosphere plus being in a wonderful sorority, I have learned so much and grew into a mature and intelligent person.

I would tell myself to immediately consider the fact that my parents are not able to provide assistance with money for college. I would tell myself to focus on studying and look at scholarships more. I would say remember that the long days at school and late nights studying will pay off later in life after college when my career begins. I would tell myself that the career I want way not pay a lot but that is no reason to deny myself happiness. I would tell myself to remember to be a role model for my family and friends. I would try to focus on being debt free and taking things simple for now but to remember that after the education I will be able to afford the things I want. I would tell myself when I get frusturated to remember that my Heavenly Father will always make a way for me to achieve things and I should never forget that. I would find other friends who are serious about college and have a social life with them because we are more likely to stick together and help each other. I would tell myself to suceed at everything.

What would I tell myself and everyone around me if I could go back in time? Well, there are two pieces of advice I wish I had known. One, the friends your graduate with will not stay your friends. The people you expected to always be there for you will be off finding themselves and discovering independence and I suggest you do the same as well. Your first year of college is a rollercoaster ride of emotion. Your new friends dont know you well enough to understand and your old friends are too busy to run to. The second thing I wish I had been told is that it is hard. You won't know how to pay for it all, you won't know how to keep your grades up, and you wont know what to do with all of your independence. You will make mistakes, you will break down, youll miss home. But you know what? It gets better. Somehow youll survive. You will make your payments, you will pay for your meals, youll survive the hangovers... youll be happy. You just cant be afraid of the future. You have to go in knowing youll come out aive.

Well, I got my GED, so If I could go back I would tell myself to stay in school. Don't drop out because it will make going to college way more difficult. They don't push you in high school just to be assholes. They do it to prepare you for the real world and for college. College is alot harder than high school so Its good to get prepared then. Don't take high school for granted. Learn everything you can from your teachers, because thay have alot to teach you. Alot more thatn you realize, and not just whatever subject they may teach but also some real life lessons. So when they get on your case about something its not because they hate you, it's most likly because they belive in you and know you can do better. So, trust me when I say to listen to them. Being popular or "cool" isn't always the best way to go, sometimes it pays to be a nerd or teachers pet. Your teaches have alot of wisdom to impart. Once again I say listen to your teachers, how much you learn from them might suprise you!

If I can travel back in time, I would tell myself to enter into a major that would excite you and bring you passion in life. I want the old me to know that finding a job will be enough to make one happy. But to find a career in what you love, it will bring joy into your life as you would do your best in the chosen profession. In addition, don't be afraid to speak your mind and meet new people. College is not just for you to learn, but also to make new friends and have mentors in life to help you educationally and career wise. Most importantly, understand that college is not just to have fun, but also to be serious and be an adult. A person may find a job right after high school, but being a college student, is a difficult job in being successful as one will have to prepare to be a college student. It's not easy, but it's not hard. Majority of college is working your hardest and trying your best. Make friends, have fun, and set your goals; and in the end, college is worth it.

Knowing what I know now about college and life in general there are alot of things that I would change if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior. My senior year of high school I had intended on enrolling in college and taking my SATs, but everything changed when I got pregnant with my first child. I definently would have told myself to wait on that one. Not going to college right away was a mistake. Waiting 8 years caused me to forget alot of things so I had to relearn alot of stuff. I think if I could go back I would have told myself to focus more attention on my studies instead of concetrating on guys. I always did well in school, but if I would have devoted more time I would have done a lot better. I made sure to focus on classes that went with the degree that I chose so I would not have changed anything when looking at subjects taken. I would have saved more money to use while in college because you have every day needs to consider.

Since I am a single parent in her mid 30's, I would go back and tell my teenage self to go to college after high school. I would say that a college education will open doors to a better future for her and the child she will have someday. That her son won't have to watch her struggle to pay bills and put food on the table for 10 years if she goes to college and gets her RN before starting life as an independent woman. I would also say that fear can be a motivator or a hinderance and that she must decide how she will use it because it is a part of life: fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of being different. I would say to use it to propel you to be all you dream of being. That the worst fear is when you have someone depending on you and you don't have all the resources to care for them as they deserve. I would tell me then, as I tell me now, that there is so much more in you than you know and go find out who you can be.