Northwest College of Art & Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northwest College of Art & Design

NCAD is a very career specific school with a lot of resources, as well as very current knowledge on the art industry. All art professors have worked in the art field, and some currently still do. They provide very good insight on the art industry, and offer critical but constructive criticism on assignments. There is no on campus living, but the financial ad advisor does offer solid listings. All faculty is very nice, and class sizes are small due to the small campus size. We have a student lounge, but no on campus cafeteria or food readily available. However, the school has relocated to downtown Tacoma, and there is a lot of stores and restaurants in the area. Parking is free, but we do have to park by the Tacoma Dome and ride the link to get to class. Overall, it's very career based and I enjoy the classes.

alex

I can already tell how wonderful this school is going to be. The class sizes and professors are very personable and provide a great environment to learn and grow in the arts. The staff truly care about my well-being and really want me to succeed. I know that with this school I can become a very successful artist.

Solace

Northwest College Of Art and Design (NCAD) is a great school to learn about the arts and really know what you're going into in the future. They teach you a variety of styles and mediums to use and really oreaoare you for your career in the future. Classes are held like you're already working and the teachers are friendly and willing to help everyone they can. It's a small school but that just makes it easier to get to know your classmates and the staff. Over all I believe NCAD is a great school full of wonderful teachers, staff, and bright students

Anabell

It's a very small private institute. They don't offer campus dorms or food, thus the reason why they got the rating I gave. NCAD is going to be expanding during the years to come, so there will be a lot more things to look forward to! The teacher to student ratio is amazing, and you never have to worry about asking questions during class or not being able to understand classwork/homework. Your classmates and upperclassmen are all eager to discuss schoolwork with you. All our staff are all professionals in the industry, so you will get first hand experience and advice on how your desired major works. You are treated like you're already in the industry, and you will be graded based on your product/outcome and not your effort!

Yebel

I’m going to be honest here, it’s been quite the storm, and it’s only been starting to get better because of the change in Director of Education who actually cares and loves every one of us as her students, remembers all our names and cares about who we are individually. Changing the campus was a smart move business-wise, but limits students who are physically disabled. The old director of education did not care and saw us only as cash cows, he broke HIPPA several times, bullied a disabled student and kicked her out without any warnings or grounds, made no emergency plans for our one disabled student in a wheelchair, didn’t fix a broken elevator that disabled one of our students for months, did not properly inform any of us of location move, therefore many students had to break already signed leases, hired a teacher who was well known for being politically biased, racist and hypocritical, and did not install an AC system before move resulting in sweltering temperatures the first summer (I’m an asthmatic) and freezing temperatures in the winter. He managed to avoid a lawsuit by resigning his position. The New Director of Education, Susan, is a blessing, an angel, a godsend upon the hell that is the education system. She has made plans to incorporate color theory classes, more life drawing classes, anatomy classes, volunteer opportunities, the removal of education hindering experiences such as essays, leniency on the disabled, collaborations with other art related companies, and plans to install an on-campus pantry for poor students. Although I’m sad I did not get to enjoy these possibilities during my time, it’s lucky to know that this college offers over five years of free audited classes that count towards degree and transcript upon graduation. Beyond the fact that this is one of the few schools I see with a built in job program to make sure students are hired after graduation, this school is satisfactory and worth the investment now that it has a director that cares.

Overall I have had a decent experience but if you want to attend this school its a good idea to research everything about your career options. Some things need some work but the staff is nice. I don't know if I would fully recommend this college to someone pursuing the arts. The pacing of semesters and classes feel very rushed and it can be difficult to retain.